3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

If you're whining about the snow... (Read 55 times)

Feeling the growl again

Top 10 snowiest colleges.

I ran for #1.  Winter was an experience.  Our "Get Tough Run" was a half mile 200bpm HR masochistic trip through usually waist-deep snow up a hill steep enough to require a cog rail drive for the train that went up it.

Sadly, I haven't run outside yet this year.  Heh.  Getting soft in more ways than one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Ghostbusters? really?

and 303 inches of snow. Damn

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Ghostbusters? really?

and 303 inches of snow. Damn

There is a different theme for Winter Carnival each year.  I could show you pics you would not believe...and remember the big, elaborate ones are built by drunk frat boys over 30 days.  We're talking panes in windows made of solid ice with etching in them.  Unbelievable detail.

Depends where you measure the snow.  Areas up there have gotten closer to 400.  Some roads on the hills closed in winter....others you were smart enough to know they were one-way downhill in the winter.

Parking your car in the morning, and shoveling a foot of snow off after 3-4 hours of classes, was just called Monday.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I'm surprised the other directional Michigan university (northern) wasn't on the list. Being right on Lake Superior, I'm sure they get their fair share of snow too.

This is all well and good, but I still intend to whine about the snow.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

xhristopher

This morning I looked at the forecast and went out and bought a one month gym pass.

Feeling the growl again

I'm surprised the other directional Michigan university (northern) wasn't on the list. Being right on Lake Superior, I'm sure they get their fair share of snow too.

You missed one (Eastern).  Smile

Northern should be on the list, I guarantee it.  These lists are always imperfect; Tech was left completely off the "coldest university" list while places in Illinois were included.

Village people

Our local university made the list but I like the snow.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Snow sucks.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

I don't mind the snow so much as the 90 minutes stolen from my running time by having to shovel the stupid stuff. Chalk it up to a "rest" day I guess.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

I went to a college equidistant between #3 and #2 on the list....the snow didn't interfere with drinking all that much.

Snow isn't all that bad for runs...ice on the other hand is just a nasty mofo situation.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I went to a college where it snowed once. Maybe an inch. Shut the whole city down. It was total chaos and pandemonium. Snow sucks.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I went to a college equidistant between #3 and #2 on the list....the snow didn't interfere with drinking all that much.

Snow isn't all that bad for runs...ice on the other hand is just a nasty mofo situation.

The problem we had at Tech was that with that much snow being shoved aside and piled, it was not long before there was no place left to run but in the lane with traffic.  When I gave up on trying to run much in the winter and got in 2-3 hours a day of skate skiing (ah, before kids, job, and responsibilities...) 2 minutes came off my 10K.

C-R

We always had lake effect snow so it would seem the sun flat left us for four plus months. Only average about 70 inches but it never seemed to stop.

I hate shoveling snow.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

an amazing likeness

The problem we had at Tech was that with that much snow being shoved aside and piled, it was not long before there was no place left to run but in the lane with traffic.

What we have around here in winter is roads where the snowbanks on the side get some melt from sun during the day and re-freeze at night  -- so the shoulder is skim ice the color of pavement. Unless they take time ($) to come back with wing plows and push them back, the roadside snowbanks grow steadily -- right now, the main road near me is probably 2ft narrower from each curb (4ft overall) -- I noticed driving out this AM that the chevrons which mark the virtual bike lanes are now 1/2 under the snowbanks. There's no option other than running in the travel lane where the cars have worn the snow to pavement.

I wonder why I stay in this hellhole...its 4F with 15mph winds right now....there's no chance of finding a new job 'cause no business want to be at the end of the earth up here next to Canada....then, magically June comes around and all is good.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.