3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2013 Racing Thread (Read 278 times)

I'm definitely sick with something; the forecast is calling for biblical rain; and 6 of this race's 10 miles will be on a slick, occasionally submerged wood-plank path.  Yee-haw.

Sounds epic.  Enjoy!

2/23 -- NaderAlfie -- Cupid's Chase 5k - Glen Rock, NJ - sub-19

Race canceled due to impending storm.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Sounds epic.  Enjoy!

From the race website just now:

** We are working with the Parks & Rec department as well as the City of Charlotte to come up with the best contingency plan in case of greenway flooding. We will keep you posted throughout the day. **

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Seems to be going around.  A friend in Boston had her weekend race canceled earlier, too.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Oh, yes, the same storm that left me stranded in KC for another night.  I've never seen so many people that had no ideto how to drive in snow. And a quick note to the city workers....it doesn't do much good to put salt on top of 6 in of snow. You must plow it first!

2/23 -- CliveF -- Charlotte Ten-Miler (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = um, I dunno, sub-68?  (PR's 1:09:07 from MAR2012, FWIW.)

1:07:46, yo!

I had trouble getting/holding 6:45 pace, although I would have been happy with 6:48.  Every time we passed a mile marker, I'd look down and see I was averaging 6:52-6:53 overall.  By the 7mi mark, it looked like I needed to find ~28sec over the final 3mi to get 68-flat ... and there's a big-ass hill in there.  Yeah ...

Not sure if the course was short or my Garmin just under-measured it -- I had 9.9mi and a last mile at 6:08 pace.  But my Garmin was buzzing splits after I passed the course's mile markers -- increasingly farther past the marker as the race went on.  I suspect it was on-target, my gizmo was inaccurate, and my splits are all slightly off now.  Oh well.  Sub-68, yo!

-- Dick LeBeau

Sub-68, yo!

Now rhat's what racing is about!  Nice job out there this morning Clive.

Feeling the growl again

Great run!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Ditto here too. Well, except for the bald and 52 part.

We've got our third snowstorm weekend heading out way and I just can't justify driving 160 miles round trip in the middle of it for a tune-up race. Just not worth it. Instead I'm going to run a local 5K saturday morning then try for 18 locally in the snow.

Nice job Clive. Keep it rolling.

I've got this race-a-month thing going and month number 17 was in jeopardy so I went out and ran a 5K instead of battling the snowy drive for the HM tomorrow. Despite running a strong 18:10 this morning it was defiantly not Hurtlocker worthy effort considering I just ran it steady/conservative and didn't turn myself inside out. Nonetheless, it's a positive fitness check.

Despite the cancellations and snow, if we can get through this winter we'll all have good times to look forward to in the spring.  On top of other things, I'd like to see sub 18s.

kcam

Woohoo!  Congrats on the nice 10mile PR.  I hope I can have that same feeling next week on my 10miler.

bhearn

Wow, great run. I'd say that marathon PR is starting to look pretty soft.

Yo Bitches indeed.. Crushin' it and rollin' on.

And we run because we like it
                          Through the broad bright land

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats on your 10 miler, Clive! I don't envy you (mta: having to run in) the crappy weather conditions we're having in the south east today!

steph  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats Clive - nice!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

J-L-C

Feb. 24 Miryang 5k.  Miryang, Korea. Goal: win and/or <16:35.

2nd place in 16:51 on a short course (~150m short). On pace for about a 17:25 or thereabouts.

Today I didn't run fast. Next time!