3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2013 Racing Thread (Read 278 times)

kcam

Man!  Hurtlocker represents again!  Congrats everyone, too many to list individually but I got a special affinity for Ileneforward and Greg having also been down with the flu earlier in the week.  Congrats on getting out there and running good races!  Wasn't even sure I'd run today but did well.  I felt fine the entire race but when it was over I had some good coughing spells that reminded me it wasn't completely gone yet.

We had the perfect weather day to run - foggy, zero wind and the temps must have been in the low 40's.  I ran 37:59.89 by chip time (I'm not sure I can count that as a "sub-38" since it'll get rounded to 38 flat in something like Athlinks, I think) and 38:04 gun time.  1st in 50-54 and 13th OA but I must admit that the guy that finished about 27 seconds ahead of me was 57.  I had him in my sights for the last 2 miles and I kicked and ran the last mile faster than the previous 3 but he still put time on me.

Had a blast ...

Let's Go Niners!

Feeling the growl again

I thought he was nuts until I saw the guy running shirtless.

And got 1-2OA doing it.  Somebody give him a hurtlocker invite.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

And got 1-2OA doing it.  Somebody give him a hurtlocker invite.

I told the boys about the shirtless guy and one of them said "No wonder he ran fast. Must have been trying to keep from getting frostbite." Never thought of this as a race strategy but....

WTG Illene.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Congratulations Ken, looks like you did very well. My race.. not so much. I've had tempos that felt better. Didnt even get that race day magic. Oh well... 1:19:46 for the half and 1AG.

We had the perfect weather day to run - foggy, zero wind and the temps must have been in the low 40's. 

And we run because we like it
          Through the broad bright land

kcam

Congratulations Ken, looks like you did very well. My race.. not so much. I've had tempos that felt better. Didnt even get that race day magic. Oh well... 1:19:46 for the half and 1AG.

Congrats to you.  That's a nice run, recover and go get 'em next time. Not bad - hurtlocker takes two 1AG's in Davis today!  I see you finished 10th overall, outstanding.  Three ringers from Oregon pretty much won the race, I saw them as I jogged back along the 1/2 course.  They were running together and from their final finish times it seems like they might have been holding hands as they crossed the line.

Damn.  Somebody is either in much better shape than they thought, or sandbagged the goal to win the beer.  Wink

Much better shape?  I need to back and fill in my log from Oct on.  Maybe the time off mentally from training did me some good?

Some others folks had very good days as well!

Kalsarikännit

Nice racing, guys.

Hey, Spaniel, can you change my KKC goal to 42 mins? I forgot that I was a slow jogger when I set the original goal.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

flarunner

Nice racing, people.

Spaniel, C-R, Whodat; I used to live up there and reading your descriptions, I sure don't miss that weather. Nice runs in that stuff.

Feeling the growl again

Nice racing, guys.

Hey, Spaniel, can you change my KKC goal to 42 mins? I forgot that I was a slow jogger when I set the original goal.

Then eat faster to make up for it.  Big grin

Done.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

haha.. I saw the results too.. Here I am pounding out the last 10 miles in no-mans-land and three guys are skipping along at 530 pace. Must be nice. I saw them at the start too.. must say I'm getting very good a picking out the winners.

They were running together and from their final finish times it seems like they might have been holding hands as they crossed the line.

Just to let you all know.. I will not stand for this kind of race failure. Back to actually following a training plan...

I've had tempos that felt better. 

Cool Jump Suit

Fun race, even if it was freaking freezing and there was snow on most of the course. C-R showed up on the correct day and Spaniel remembered his flats, although he may have been better off in trainers with the snow. Hacker2000 was there as well sporting shorts. I thought he was nuts until I saw the guy running shirtless.

Ok, next winter race.....that's right, no pants (period) Smile

So bittersweet,
                          This tragedy
                          Won't ask for absolution;
                          This melody,
                          Inside of me,
                          Still searches for solution.
                          A twist of faith,
                          A change of heart
                          Cures my infatuation.
                          A broken heart, 
                          Provides the spark
                          For my determination.

Just to let you all know.. I will not stand for this kind of race failure. Back to actually following a training plan...

1:19:XX is a failure?   Well now,  it is time to make that 16:5X translate into the rest of your PRs.  Smile

Too many great performances to list, perfect conditions or slip and slide there were no slackers this week.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of kicking ass and taking names in the hurt locker this year!

DoppleBock

http://runningintheusa.smugmug.com/Run/2013-Events/John-Dick-50K/27836676_J2dS5m#!i=2347972549&k=c5xHznF

How'd the Crusty 50k go, I see you stalking Robert in the photo

1:19:XX is a failure?   Well now,  it is time to make that 16:5X translate into the rest of your PRs.  Smile

Too many great performances to list, perfect conditions or slip and slide there were no slackers this week.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of kicking ass and taking names in the hurt locker this year!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !