3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

February 2013 Racing Thread (Read 278 times)

xhristopher

Nope. Not going to happen. Scratch #3 for 2013.

Well, crap on that. The reboot will happen.

2/10, Wokingham Half Marathon, Wokingham UK, aim: PR (sub 1:18:18).  Though I may struggle to finish given my IT knee issues this week.

C-R

Oh and add 500 5K on 2/9. I'm running it with my son and he wants a sub 22. At this rate I may only have a year or two left of beating him unless I pull a Costa and hip check him. Damn fun to see the boy take to running like that.

Final result 21:45.

Hot damn. That was a good race by the boy. Spaniel asked him if he felt the burn after we finished and he said it wasn't so bad. Caught up with him on the cool down but I'm one proud pops. I need to get training or he might pass my ass this year. Based on this race, I think I have sub 20 right now. Need to find a race next weekend and prove it.

Oh and spaniel brought the pain to the field today but he can tell that story best.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

2/9 - spaniel - Indy Mini Training Series 5K - 16:30, 1OA

Won it two years ago, didn't show to defend last year.  Have to try and start the streak over.

I hate 5ks...AND morning races.

Holy crap, I got one.

1OA in 16:28 by my watch 16:27 officially.  5:14-5:16-5:23-:33.  I'd really hoped to be closer to 16:15 but it was cold, not a fast course, and I laid down a good, painful effort so I'll take this for my first real race effort in forever.

I took the lead ~1/2mi in, I'm told I had gapped the field pretty well by the mile mark (almost 10sec?).  One dude back there was a smart racer though; I looked back at 2 miles and he was sitting 10-15sec back, and he had not been with the lead group at the start.  I conserved a bit of effort then for the finish but when I looked back 1/3 of a mile later he had cut the distance in half, so I put it to the wall.  About when I thought I would crack (1/3mi out?) I realized he must be hurting as much as me or I would be hearing him behind me by then, so that helped my motivation and I dug a little deeper and got the win by 6 sec.

I have not felt that kind of 5K hurt in a very long time.  I liked it.  I need to work on being able to work harder the last mile though.  I'm still at the stage where 5min after the race I feel like I have too much left even though I did not during the finish.

MTA:  C-R's boy is going to be good if he keeps working at it.  He's already faster than I ever ran as a freshmen.

And, I ate two donuts afterwards for breakfast, in honor of WG's race today.

Courtesy of C-R, I look tired, and I am glad I did not let it come down to a kick with the dude in 2nd.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

That's some nice racing there by Spaniel, C-R, and C-R's son!

Congrats on the win Spaniel!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

Congrats CR and Spaniel.  Love that 5K 'hurt'!

Congrats Spaniel, CR & CR II, great stuff!

Wife and/or babysitter willing ...

2/9 -- CliveF -- Cupid's Cup 5k (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = 19:15 (~10sec PR)

Scratched.  My son, a Cub Scout for about two months now, didn't complete his Pinewood Derby car by last night.  Derby itself was today -- registration 10-10:45AM SHARP.  I had time to race and get back, but that wouldn't have left any time to help him finish things.  So no race.

Looking at results, though, I'm wondering if conditions were off or something.  A couple friends ran slower than I'd have expected, one by about a minute.  But a local guy who's four months older and always runs 18:30-18:45 ran 18:44, so I don't think the course was long.  The Charlotte roadracing elite showed up (I think this race offers modest prize money).  A field with 916 finishers ... and only 27 runners <20min, 21 of them <19, and just one person anywhere near my 19:15 target time.  Might well have turned out to be another lonely time trial after all.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

That's some nice racing there by Spaniel, C-R, and C-R's son!

Congrats on the win Spaniel!

+1 I was going to say exactly what WhoDat did.  Nice job out there this morning. Saw the finish line video too. Andy had it in the bag easily. Or at least it seemed that way in the end. But there was about 16:23 seconds of the race that was unseen.

Walk-Jogger

Congrats CR and Spaniel.  Love that 5K 'hurt'!

+1

Ya gotta love it when things go right as planned!

Retired &  Loving It

Congrats Spaniel, CR & CR II, great stuff!

+1

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Kalsarikännit

47:53. 33rd woman.

THIRTY THIRD GOSH-DARNED WOMAN.

Ugh. It seems that I don't have much of a future as a competitive runner OR eater.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ugh. It seems that I don't have much of a future as a competitive runner OR eater.

Maybe you stick with the drink/run plan. You seem to be pretty darn good at that. Wink

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

But the longer version of your report (with the pixie sticks reference and all) is very entertaining.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

What AP said.

Oh well, you seem to be better at the beer mile; not such a bad thing.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills