3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

April Race Thread (Read 1077 times)

DoppleBock

That sucks all the way around - I am very careful of what I eat before a race - When I thought I was in PR shape for Houston many years ago - I actually packed all my pre-race food for all day Saturday and Sunday morning.  I am not sure why I get so paranoid as I have a pretty iron stomache ... The only place I have had issues with is Subway(2). 

Our friends in Boston are getting ready to head for the corrals.  Looks like the weather won't be giving them a break, around 70 at the start and climbing fast to the mid-80s by the finish.

She hasn't peeked in here in awhile, but it appears that the heat is the least of wannaberunner's problems today....travels to a destination marathon and gets food poisoning the night before the race.. Sad

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Looks like C-R has slowed quite a bit. Hope he's OK.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Looks like C-R has slowed quite a bit. Hope he's OK.

From our texts this morning he seemed fully prepared to walk if he felt the need to.  I'm assuming this is the case as he's still making forward progress.

Ben pulled out 34th male OA.  It's telling of the conditions when a 2:33 takes you that high up.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Awesome. Nice job Ben!

Looks like C-R finished with a 4:31:14. It must have been pretty rough out there.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Awesome. Nice job Ben!

Looks like C-R finished with a 4:31:14. It must have been pretty rough out there.

I feel better now that C-R is done.  The splits stopped updating for awhile, I was getting nervous.

I hope Ben pops in and tells us how things were, what a performance.

Candice's splits looked really, really even, I don't know if she's happy with her time but it looks like she ran pretty well in the heat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I hope Ben pops in and tells us how things were, what a performance.

Candice's splits looked really, really even, I don't know if she's happy with her time but it looks like she ran pretty well in the heat.

+1, and +1.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Not happy with my time at all. I trained with 3:03-3:05 in mind. I knew I wouldn't be able to pull that off in 86f temps. I just went with training run pace. It kept me as comfortable as possible in the heat...bleh. Waste of a 4 month training cycle. Mother Nature can suck it! Wink

I remember an April a couple of years ago when an 86 deg marathon (at a much slower pace) almost did me in.  Even though you're not happy with it, you still ran an impressive race.  I'd say even 10 deg cooler and you would have hit your goal. Heat sucks.

Not happy with my time at all. I trained with 3:03-3:05 in mind. I knew I wouldn't be able to pull that off in 86f temps. I just went with training run pace. It kept me as comfortable as possible in the heat...bleh. Waste of a 4 month training cycle. Mother Nature can suck it! Wink

Feeling the growl again

Waste of a 4 month training cycle. Mother Nature can suck it! Wink

Yes.  That sucks.  I went in 2004 planning to run 2:26.  Heh.

I learned my lesson late.  If I am EVER in shape to try for a marathon PR again, it's not going to be at a big ticket race.  And if it is, there will be backups.  I'm going to look for 2-3 affordable, small/medium marathons that are timed very close together.  So if the weather is crap for the first one, I bail, extend my taper another week, and try my luck again.  Less chance of wasting the cycle.

For example, if one would have bailed this weekend they could run Carmel with us next....forecast right now is in the 40s....

C-R

Thanks for all the good thoughts. It was an epic suckfest for me. Wheels fell off the bus around 14. I couldn't control my heart rate and was a bit troubled by it. Eventually I just said finish this bitch and stay out of the med tent. Managed that but yesterday was no place to be if you had a half assed training cylce like me. Lesson learned.

Got a chance to catch up with some folks after and hear about some damn awesome efforts. Ben just rocked it and Candice, BD, Bhearn, Nemo and others I'm neglecting ran well. No regrets should be had. Can't fight the weather. You figure the winner ran 8+ minutes slower than last year and it was a tough day to hammer it.

One funny memory was of a guy looking like Santa at say mile 5 or so on the side of the road cheering runners. The guy next to me asked if he could get his present early. He wanted a 35 degree cold front. Santa told him he must have been a bad boy and got this instead of coal. Santa with attitude.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Rough day, C-R.  But, in the big picture, your fitness is very clearly on the upswing. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Not happy with my time at all.

I'd log-stalked Candice a few weeks back (around the time of her strong Tom King performance) and was struck by her consistency, but even more at how upbeat a lot of the log entries were.  And ... she's back. Big grin

I was tracking a number of runners yesterday.  Without question -- and even viewed as a 26-mile training run -- Candice slowed less (a) from start to finish, and (b) over the hilly 25k-35k stretch.  Out of all context, the time should be disappointing to someone with her fitness.  In context, though, that's a hell of a steady, smartly-run, totally-unaffected-by-the-heat race.

I'm going to need a big race this weekend to win a beer in this place.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rough day, C-R.  But, in the big picture, your fitness is very clearly on the upswing. 

It's gonna be sweet when he catches Mother Nature on a good day.

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

I have found that when it is weather that limits by race performance, I tend to recover fairly quickly - Lets hope that is the case for you ... See you soon! 

Thanks for all the good thoughts. It was an epic suckfest for me. Wheels fell off the bus around 14. I couldn't control my heart rate and was a bit troubled by it. Eventually I just said finish this bitch and stay out of the med tent. Managed that but yesterday was no place to be if you had a half assed training cylce like me. Lesson learned.

Got a chance to catch up with some folks after and hear about some damn awesome efforts. Ben just rocked it and Candice, BD, Bhearn, Nemo and others I'm neglecting ran well. No regrets should be had. Can't fight the weather. You figure the winner ran 8+ minutes slower than last year and it was a tough day to hammer it.

One funny memory was of a guy looking like Santa at say mile 5 or so on the side of the road cheering runners. The guy next to me asked if he could get his present early. He wanted a 35 degree cold front. Santa told him he must have been a bad boy and got this instead of coal. Santa with attitude.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

It was an epic suckfest for me. Wheels fell off the bus around 14. I couldn't control my heart rate

This part pretty much exactly sums up my day too. Over an hour slower than last year's Boston. Narrowly avoided passing the hell out just after crossing the line. The lame cliche does apply, this one time... it was an accomplishment just to finish the fucker.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.