3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

It is I - Crumudgeon (Read 51 times)

C-R

I know we don't rant much in here which is why I like it (except when I goad people into stunts).

<rant>

Anyway, I just received an e-mail for something called Electric Run for Indy. Seems a 5k at night with glow sticks and what not. Is this where running is headed. We have color runs where someone hits you with powder during a 5k. Mud run 5ks through obstacle courses. Zombie 5k runs where you're chased by zombies that paid to be a zombie. And who knows what else.

What has happened to just racing? I watched the indoor USATF and Milrose games and was stoked at pure simple racing. I can never be that fast but I can be faster than I was yesterday. That is fun and it includes heartbreaks of racing a for shit on one day and putting some work in to get better next time. Is that not what it's all about? Am I missing the big picture? Or is it all about making some dough?

My favorite run anymore includes no medals, no chip timing and just a bib, course and finisher chute.

No pull up your pants, turn down that loud ass hippie music and get the eff off my lawn.

<rant/>

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

#artbydmcbride

http://5kfoamfest.com/

bubblerun.com

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Is this where running is headed. We have color runs where someone hits you with powder during a 5k.
        Or is it all about making some dough?

My favorite run anymore includes no medals, no chip timing and just a bib, course and finisher chute.

No pull up your pants, turn down that loud ass hippie music and get the eff off my lawn.

<rant/>

Heh.  Perhaps I should not admit I let my wife sign us up for the color run in Indy?  Well, it gets her out running a race for the first time in years so I figured it was a small price to pay.

But year, just like with the Rock n Roll crap people are cashing in.

But I am with you.  I like the purity (and cheapness) of real races, which is why I have heavily moved toward the larger events (some of which were formerly known as races).

Look at the Indy Mini....they made a conscious move to stop calling out their "elite field" because, practically in their own words, it might make people feel bad.

Don't worry.  The beer mile doesn't even have bibs, you time yourself, might turn an ankle, is not USATF certified (although the RD is certified), and if you are lucky I will not drink your award prior to you receiving it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Delete the email and move on.  You are better than this.  What the hell is the matter with you?

Maybe you should have a beer or three this evening.

Not at it at all. 

Slo

It's getting crazy with all these corporate gimmick runs.

If I get asked one more time if I'm going to do the tough mudder that just announced a nearby venue I swear I'm going to go off on that person.

I have an idea I'd like to start up around here. I'm gonna call it the Solo Cup series.

Here's how it works.

Solo Cup races are always free. Although we may pass a hat for donations.

Solo Cup races are not certified but everyone will run the same course.

Solo Cup races are not on closed courses. Run at your own risk

Solo Cup races are not chipped timed...They may not be timed at all.

Solo Cup races will have beer at the finish.

When you cross the finish line you will receive a Solo Cup. There will be a number on the bottom of that cup. This is your finishing order. When asked "How'd you do?" You must tip the Solo Cup to your mouth and take a drink so that the inquiring individual can see your number.

C-R

^

I like that Slo ^

Delete the email and move on.  You are better than this.  What the hell is the matter with you?

Maybe you should have a beer or three this evening.

You know those snicker commercials with the divas? Well it works that way for me if I skip breakfast and haven't run. Well 10k and lunch later I'm good.

I still like the no frills stuff those.

Foam? Seriously? Foam?

Don't get me started. Heh.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I have an idea I'd like to start up around here. I'm gonna call it the Solo Cup series.

Sign me up.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Kalsarikännit

Maybe you should have a beer or three this 

afternoon.

FTFY

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

C-R

Damn it all. It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

bhearn

We have color runs where someone hits you with powder during a 5k. Mud run 5ks through obstacle courses. Zombie 5k runs where you're chased by zombies that paid to be a zombie. And who knows what else.

What has happened to just racing?

I ran a 10k this morning through my house. There were all sorts of obstacles, people in the way, big puddles filled with rocks and stuff, and I lost a lot of distance on the tangents. Then I remembered that I had forgotten to register anyway. The good part was 6:02 pace felt effortless when I had room to run.

Oh wait, right, that was a dream. Nevermind.

lsp

Lump Off

My 14 year-old daughter wants to do a color run with me so I'll have to do one.

I'm in for the solo cup series.  My beer consumption is increasing in direct correlation to my mileage increase.

C-R

Don't worry.  The beer mile doesn't even have bibs, you time yourself, might turn an ankle, is not USATF certified (although the RD is certified), and if you are lucky I will not drink your award prior to you receiving it.

This is good.

C-R

My 14 year-old daughter wants to do a color run with me so I'll have to do one.

I'm in for the solo cup series.  My beer consumption is increasing in direct correlation to my mileage increase.

Nothing wrong with either of those things.

When you cross the finish line you will receive a Solo Cup. There will be a number on the bottom of that cup. This is your finishing order. When asked "How'd you do?" You must tip the Solo Cup to your mouth and take a drink so that the inquiring individual can see your number.

My favorite part.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

I'm only signing up for the Solo run if it is timed and there are age group awards.  Clown  I has demands!

Runners run