3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Just a dude.

Things continue to progress pretty well for me. New tempo tonight. My four mile tempo run progression now looks like this:

DATE WEIGHT MILE 1 MILE 2 MILE 3 MILE 4
    1/21 224 7:48 7:42 7:40 7:33
    2/4 220 7:50 7:36 7:28 7:16
    3/25 205 7:20 7:16 7:04 6:50
    5/21 193 6:50 6:51 6:37 6:25
    6/16 187 6:32 6:30 6:28 6:15

Today felt slightly easier than last time and was much more windy. Starting to feel good about things...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Walk-Jogger

Nice running, Kelly - looks like your tempo run is about to catch up with your 4-mile PR time?

Retired &  Loving It

Just a dude.

Nice running, Kelly - looks like your tempo run is about to catch up with your 4-mile PR time?

Hmmm... how to answer that.

I didn't even realize I had a 4 mile on my PR list. It was a horrible college cross country race that I ran terribly at. I think I had blocked it out of my memory. So I guess, yes, it was near my 4 mile PR which is incredibly soft.

It wasn't but 2 or 3 weeks later I ran that 17:53 5k.

I feel like I am getting close to my best shape as a masters runner. As good as that sounds, I am hoping for much more. Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Very nice indeed!

Things continue to progress pretty well for me. New tempo tonight. My four mile tempo run progression now looks like this:

DATE WEIGHT MILE 1 MILE 2 MILE 3 MILE 4
          1/21 224 7:48 7:42 7:40 7:33
          2/4 220 7:50 7:36 7:28 7:16
          3/25 205 7:20 7:16 7:04 6:50
          5/21 193 6:50 6:51 6:37 6:25
          6/16 187 6:32 6:30 6:28 6:15

Today felt slightly easier than last time and was much more windy. Starting to feel good about things...

Thanks!

-Kelly

Walk-Jogger

Hmmm... how to answer that.

I didn't even realize I had a 4 mile on my PR list. It was a horrible college cross country race that I ran terribly at. I think I had blocked it out of my memory. So I guess, yes, it was near my 4 mile PR which is incredibly soft.

It wasn't but 2 or 3 weeks later I ran that 17:53 5k.

I feel like I am getting close to my best shape as a masters runner. As good as that sounds, I am hoping for much more. Wink

-Kelly

LOL - sorry, I didn't look closely at your other PR's. Duh . . .

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Punished the hamster wheel with a 16 miler this morning.  It's such a sweatsock up there that I've wrapped the new console in saran wrap to protect it from the sweat so I don't kill it like the last one.

Got up to 6:42 pace pretty quickly, then at 12 miles took it up to 10mph, then 10.1 for 2 miles, then 10.2 for the last one.  So finished close to what is probably my 10K pace right now.  Had to play some mental games to push through the last bit, I was pretty over-heated.

Running is harder when each foot seems to be 3 pounds heavier with all the water soaked into the socks and shoes.  I have 5+ lbs to replace now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Day 3 in Mexico City - I finally made it outside for a run. Wasn't a good "workout", just a really cool run - still dark outside, but went to the main park - guess there aren't a lot of other places to run - I've been in races less crowded with runners, and this was 530 am. Just kind of neat to be in a different culture and still find our people doing what we do at all kinds of paces.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Day 3 in Mexico City - I finally made it outside for a run. Wasn't a good "workout", just a really cool run - still dark outside, but went to the main park - guess there aren't a lot of other places to run - I've been in races less crowded with runners, and this was 530 am. Just kind of neat to be in a different culture and still find our people doing what we do at all kinds of paces.

Nice.  I had an experience like that in Vienna a couple years ago.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

bhearn

Nice.  I had an experience like that in Vienna a couple years ago.

I ran in Vienna, but I must have missed the other runners.

Feeling the growl again

I ran in Vienna, but I must have missed the other runners.

There is a big park along the river, I forget the name.  In the evening it was full of groups of runners doing workouts together.  A lot of them.

Outside of that, I ran a ton the week I was there and didn't see any other runners.  Awesome paths along the river and on the island in the river though.

Midday sun yesterday, decided would be a great time for a track workout.

4 x 1000 (3:15, 3:17, 3:19, 3:20), with 600 jog rests

400 (1:20 - hurting), 200 rest

200 (0:33), 400 rest

400 (1:09 - everything that's left)

4 barefoot strides on the turf

The whole while I'm doing this, there's this pregnant woman doing her own workout, mostly 400's, with a few 200's, then some strides at the end. She tells me "you're a machine out there". And I stare at her, incredulously...and reply, "are you kidding me? I guess it takes a machine a to know one then". I mean, she was definitely going at "pregnancy pace" and taking a lot of breaks for water (thank goodness), but that was some serious dedication for her to even be out there.

kcam

Good workout Kevin.  Maybe that lady was inspired by A. Montano?!  All I got to say about Montano's 2:32 is that an 8 1/2 month pregnant lady laughing and joking as she ran would have kicked the crap out of me in my 800 yesterday.

I had a nice weekend.  Saturday I ran 1500 and 800 races (5:16 and 2:43), got my ass beat by guys I normally beat.  The 8 was only 10 minutes after the 1500.  What I learned is that I just need to get FIT before trying to sharpen up with speed.  I'm not ready for speed.

This morning I went back out to the track and did 6X1600 (6:40 avg) on 200 jog recovery; 400 jog rest; 4X200 (41sec average) on 200 jog recovery.  Did about 5 miles of warmup and cooldown PLUS I rode my bike to and from the track (4 1/2 miles each way).

That workout doesn't seem too rough but I think it was perfect for my current fitness - easy enough to get it done, quick enough to build some strength, fitness and, maybe most important, confidence.

Five mile tempo yesterday in just under 29 min. Last mile in 539.

Felt like legs were finally not overtaxed, but was really breathing hard over the last 10 min.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land