3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

I have my 5k in about 10 days. Im not really sure what pace to go out at.. if anybody has any suggestions. Part of the problem is I may be running this solo.

Geez, I suck at that.  16:50 sound about right?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks Spaniel,

Its the most consistent I've ever been. Several months now of quality workouts.

I have my 5k in about 10 days. Im not really sure what pace to go out at.. if anybody has any suggestions. Part of the problem is I may be running this solo.

It seems as if your recent tempo efforts suggest you are better than 16:50 shape. You certainly have had some good weeks from what you've shared.  Maybe target 5:15ish for that first mile?  Mid-5:20's would be too slow.

Feeling the growl again

It seems as if your recent tempo efforts suggest you are better than 16:50 shape. You certainly have had some good weeks from what you've shared.  Maybe target 5:15ish for that first mile?  Mid-5:20's would be too slow.

5:20s = 16:30.  Granted my recommendation was non-Hurtlocker conservative.  Anything in between the two is game.  I have been doing work in that range or a tad faster and have not run 16:30.  But there are multiple reasons I could suck.  And I do suck at 5Ks.

So I'll revise to 16:40.  I still think 16:30 is a bit aggressive.  I'd go out 16:40 pace and see what is left to hammer the last 1.1.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

5:20s = 16:30.  Granted my recommendation was non-Hurtlocker conservative.  Anything in between the two is game.  I have been doing work in that range or a tad faster and have not run 16:30.  But there are multiple reasons I could suck.  And I do suck at 5Ks.

So I'll revise to 16:40.  I still think 16:30 is a bit aggressive.  I'd go out 16:40 pace and see what is left to hammer the last 1.1.

I'd say 16:40 is doable.  I still say the first mile should be 5:15ish to 5:20.

Park, I can’t tell you what you “should” take it out in. I can guess that you probably will take it out in anywhere from 5:15 to 5:25. But really, if someone told me to do one or the other, I’m not sure I’m really fine-tuned enough to execute. I do feel like I can go out and just give “5k effort”, and it ends up being whatever it is. And I don’t know what kind of runner you are – more feel or more tuned and able to adjust based on watch / split feedback.

Based on those 5 mile tempos, and your 3’on/offs – probably close to 1k repeats, maybe a little shy, I’d say you’re in exactly the window mbehr and spaniel are laying out. Running alone, and running your first race in a while will be challenges, but you’ve laid some good work down, so no reason you can’t put up a good race.

I don’t think any of what I wrote was all that helpful…but I’m looking forward to seeing what you do. Good luck.

In other news, solid 8x600 for me yesterday. Slight adjustment after the first 2 (still in the dark, and not fully warmed up I guess), and then cranked em out pretty good.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Thanks guys for the help. I think I am in 1630-1650 shape, its just hard to pin down. I guess I'm struggling with what I want / expect from the race.

Kevin, nice 600s. That is solid to keep cranking them out like that.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Finally did an interval workout today!  Looking back, that was my 4th interval workout from May-current.  It was a nice, cool morning (low-50's) for it.  Just stuck with moderate paced repeat miles (5:27, 5:26, 5:36, 5:31) with 0.25 mi jog recovery.  Miles felt close to current 5k race pace.  Gotta start somewhere I guess.  At least I'm feeling pretty good and am itching to get things rolling again.

Feeling the growl again

Finally did an interval workout today!  Looking back, that was my 4th interval workout from May-current.  It was a nice, cool morning (low-50's) for it.  Just stuck with moderate paced repeat miles (5:27, 5:26, 5:36, 5:31) with 0.25 mi jog recovery.  Miles felt close to current 5k race pace.  Gotta start somewhere I guess.  At least I'm feeling pretty good and am itching to get things rolling again.

Not a bad place to start at all.  Can't say mine are an awful lot better than that right now, you can catch up easy.  Smile

Nice Mbehr! That's solid. I would kill for temps in the 50s.

Ran two miles at race pace on Saturday. Did this on the course for next weekend. Ran the last mile of the course (516) and continued into running the first mile (513) with no rest. I felt pretty good. I mean definitely pushing it at the end. And it was hard running.

The first mile of the course has a slight incline (about a quarter mile long). So, the only part of the course I didn't run a 5k pace had the downhill section. Overall, I feel like I could take that 515 pace and carry it over for another mile, especially if it includes that "easy" mile.

Oh.. and I think the 513 may have been a personal best in the mile for me. Overall, running this was a huge confidence boost. Especially as I have not done much speed work. Mostly just tempos for 4-5 months.

Awesome. Go get it this weekend!

Just a dude.

Very encouraging track workout tonight.

Dirt track, some wind, racing flats:

6x400 with 90 second rest in 80,76,74,73,76,75 then 6x200 with 60 second rest in 37.36.36.36.35.35...

Perhaps my 5:15 goal on Friday isn't quite so scary after all.

Legs feel really good. The rest of me needs a bit of work.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Very encouraging track workout tonight.

Agreed. Looks very good. Flyin on those last couple of 200s.

I had another pretty good morning this morning. 6x800m (200m jog rests):

2:35 (1:20) 
                          2:38 (1:24) 
                          2:36 (1:22) 
                          2:39 (1:21) 
                          2:38 (1:21) 
                          2:37

Goal was 2:37s, so didn't exactly nail them all, but I still feel pretty good about it. Had to remind myself that relaxed is fast, a bunch of times.

Oh, and 50 degrees this morning - was almost cold.

Feeling the growl again

Great runs, Kevin and Kelly.  Get after that mile race.

Four mile tempo run on the hot treadmill in 21:27 for me today...another 12 seconds faster than 3 weeks ago.  It's been a rough couple weeks of running for me, and my kids gave me an early season cold, so I'll take it.

Everybody is running well these days.

Im jealous of the mile race KD.

Kevin, those 800s don't seem off. That's a tough workout.

Get well Spaniel.

Just a dude.

Everybody is running well these days.

Im jealous of the mile race KD.

Kevin, those 800s don't seem off. That's a tough workout.

Get well Spaniel.

Reno isn't that far for you... The sub 5ers start at like 9:25 pm. You could come up and kick my butt... :-)

$5 entrance fee.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape...