3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

The Pocatello Kid.

Fast stuff!

But it was road intervals today.  4Xmile on 3 minute recoveries.  5:20-5:14-5:14-5:10.  Felt simply awful on the first one, but got the work done.  I suck at 5K-10K pace stuff even as 6:40s feel about as easy as they ever have for me.  Maybe by Boston I can get these back around 5-flat.

Rockin - 10 at GMP = heavy lifting...

Spaniel - Good Grief.

4 min on (5:13) / 3 min off
      4 min on (5:17) / 3 min off
      4 min on (5:13) / 3 min off
      4 min on (5:16) / 3 min off
      2 min on (5:15)

Tried not to overdo it as I've been feeling like garbage lately.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Quite a variety of awesome workouts you folks are putting down.  Guess it's that time of the year!

Did my first workout on an actual track in years today.  Drove over to the one high school in the entire area here that I know keeps the track open.  Considering there are about a dozen high schools in a relatively small radius, that's pretty disappointing I can't find one closer to the house.  Decided on a 3x1600/800 workout with a 400m jog after the 1600 and a 3 min recovery after the 800.  The 1600's felt pretty good, not so much on the 800's.  Whatever pace the 1600's were is what I seemed to be locked in for the 800's.  I was mentally weak on the 3rd set and fell off but am happy that I got the work in.  (5:15/2:37, 5:14/2:37, 5:21/2:41).

Just a dude.

Did my first workout on an actual track in years today.  Drove over to the one high school in the entire area here that I know keeps the track open.  Considering there are about a dozen high schools in a relatively small radius, that's pretty disappointing I can't find one closer to the house. 

I have 3 choices for tracks within 30 miles of my house.

Tracks 1 and 2 are middle school tracks. They are dirt. They are typically lumpy from sprinkler overspray. But they are functional

Track 3 is a track only used by the highway patrol for their academy. It is in bad shape. I am not even sure, but I think it is a yard track, not a meter track. It is sandy, rutted, and lumpy. No rail. No lines. No distance markers. We had a flood recently and it is in particularly bad shape. I am worried doing strides on it.

There is a really nice all weather track at the high school, but it is locked up like Fort Knox.

Closest all weather track I can use is up in South Lake Tahoe. 45 minute drive, and at 6300 feet elevation. Not exactly ideal.

So for now I drive across town to run on the not perfect but better than nothing dirt track at a middle school... And I will tell my future grandkids that I am grateful for the opportunity to do so. Wink

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Some meaty work here, spaniel, mbehr and parklife, lots of miles in the 5 teens.  My hammies are tweaking just thinking about it!

I did my last long workout yesterday 11 days out and was happy to feel good for the 3rd day in a row, seems like I'm over my little dip.

Managed 16 miles with 22km in the middle consisting of  1km @ ave 5:42 mile pace, 1km @ ave 6:34 pace alternating.  A much needed confidence boost at this stage.

The Pocatello Kid.

Not every workout mixes miles and km in their workout description. It actually took me  a Google converter to figure out what you did for a workout, but upon review of my calculators. that's a pretty hard workout! great stuff!

Managed 16 miles with 22km in the middle consisting of  1km @ ave 5:42 mile pace, 1km @ ave 6:34 pace alternating.  A much needed confidence boost at this stage.

Not every workout mixes miles and km in their workout description. It actually took me  a Google converter to figure out what you did for a workout, but upon review of my calculators. that's a pretty hard workout! great stuff!

Yup - I switched the Garmin to km's to make it easier, otherwise the maths would have been harder than the workout!

The Pocatello Kid.

15 miles with 10 @ 5:58 pace. Evenly paced, but much harder than I was expecting. I really wanted to bail at 4, and by 7 I was pretty close to just jogging it in, but stuck it out to 10. 3 by 5 miles on Sunday was far easier than this, but there's accumulated fatigue and the course I was running was harder.

About a week left.. looking good Scully.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

15 miles with 10 @ 5:58 pace. Evenly paced, but much harder than I was expecting. I really wanted to bail at 4, and by 7 I was pretty close to just jogging it in, but stuck it out to 10. 3 by 5 miles on Sunday was far easier than this, but there's accumulated fatigue and the course I was running was harder.

You have inspired me to do something stupid Saturday morning.  And to be ashamed at how hard I have found it to get my mileage over 80mpw with any consistency.

What is your Baystate goal?  2:36-2:37ish?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

The Pocatello Kid.

You have inspired me to do something stupid Saturday morning.  And to be ashamed at how hard I have found it to get my mileage over 80mpw with any consistency.

What is your Baystate goal?  2:36-2:37ish?

Its a two way street on the inspiring thing. That's why I really think if you are going to bother to be on a public forum posting your runs, you might as well make them public. but I get that there are security concerns that a 6 ft skinny red haired  runner doesn't have that other more attractive or successful people (esp females) may have. crappy world we live in, but I love browsing through other peoples logs and being like damn! thats a hard workout. Well that's my rant about private logs.

In the the whole quantity vs quality debate, you are certainly better at the quality aspect. I tend to excel in getting out there and grinding the mileage day in and day out, but I would prefer to just run a moderate pace everyday vs killing workouts. I've forced myself out of that mold this cycle probably more than any other in the past.

As for my baystate goal? Not sure yet. Trying to get a feel for what those types of paces feel like (last sunday, and today). I feel like in a half if I can run my half pace pretty well for 7 miles, I have a real good idea I can hold it in a race for 13, but you can't exactly do that in a marathon.  Just want to run a smart race.

Feeling the growl again

As for my baystate goal? Not sure yet. Trying to get a feel for what those types of paces feel like (last sunday, and today). I feel like in a half if I can run my half pace pretty well for 7 miles, I have a real good idea I can hold it in a race for 13, but you can't exactly do that in a marathon.  Just want to run a smart race.

I've found whatever I can do for a good solid 10 mile tempo run under good volume and heavy training load is a decent approximation of MP.  So I think you've got 2:36-2:37 in the bag...on a course like Baystate several minutes faster is not out of the question.  Not that I know anything, I also ran a 2:29 off a 33:30 10K PR so obviously I don't always know what even I can do much less anybody else.  You volume and workouts are impressive so I'm looking forward to seeing what you lay down.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Is Baystate a goal race for you?  You're more than prepared for the distance and you have certainly show a good range of speed considering the volume you do. I'd say if you prepare and taper well for Baystate you'd be more than capable of putting down a 2:36-2:37.  This is a great time of year for marathons as the temps and humidity are quite a bit lower compared to just a month ago.

The Pocatello Kid.

Is Baystate a goal race for you?

yes. That's the one. I'm all in on Baystate. Heat and Humidity are my kryptonite. no one likes running in the heat, but i can't stand it.

Feeling the growl again

You have inspired me to do something stupid Saturday morning.  

The stupid thing I did Saturday (and Friday) was torpedo any chance I had at running well over the weekend.  Sigh.