3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Feeling the growl again

Ha ha I ran 5.5 yesterday, the most since my surgery last April.

Outstanding!  Beer Mile 2016 here you come! Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Outstanding!  Beer Mile 2016 here you come! Wink

Like and bring some home brew.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I've been telling myself to focus on distance and forget workouts while I lose weight, but Trent guilted me.  I stuck two one-mile sections at 6:00 pace into my run last night.  Oh my, do I have a long way to go.  Apparently I can no longer push my HR over about 156 without feeling like I'm running a 5K.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I finally ran a semi decent run this morning after about 9 months of no running, and sporadic attempts at a comeback.  The low point was 2 weeks ago where I ran a downhill race 15 minutes slower than I did 3 years ago.  Even on the huge downhill (-6% grade) could not get the legs to move past my prior Long run pace (about 9 min/mile).  Today wanted to see if I can run anywhere close to that pace, and ran a 4 X 800 in about 4 min each with 60 sec rest. I think I ran those fairly well.  Will take it for where my current fitness is.  Mile intervals are still a big mental block for me, but will work towards 4 X mile over the next month or so at the same pace, goal is to run a 23:00 5K this fall, which will be within 10 sec of my PR.

Feeling the growl again

I finally ran a semi decent run this morning after about 9 months of no running, and sporadic attempts at a comeback.  The low point was 2 weeks ago where I ran a downhill race 15 minutes slower than I did 3 years ago.  Even on the huge downhill (-6% grade) could not get the legs to move past my prior Long run pace (about 9 min/mile).  Today wanted to see if I can run anywhere close to that pace, and ran a 4 X 800 in about 4 min each with 60 sec rest. I think I ran those fairly well.  Will take it for where my current fitness is.  Mile intervals are still a big mental block for me, but will work towards 4 X mile over the next month or so at the same pace, goal is to run a 23:00 5K this fall, which will be within 10 sec of my PR.

It sounds like we have a promising decline in overall apathy in the Hurtlocker...very nice.

Don't call it a Comeback! You've been here for years!

Lots of good runs out there. Especially in Kens case. 25k!!

Personally I feel back on track. After surviving a 10k tempo at 610 pace a few weeks back, I went 40 min progressing down to 550 pace today. Im not sure if it actually is the iron supplement working already or placebo or just getting back in shape... but it feels good to put that one in the log.

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

While my goal stated above may amount to not pushing my boundaries and not very hard for most of you in here, I believe I am at-least 2 min away from that right now.

Put that number out there so I have something to nag me when I want to cut my run short, sleep in, or open another beer, maybe it will encourage me to run an extra mile on the cool down, do a few more lunges while listening in on an hour long meeting, eat that banana instead of a candy bar, and when I do get to a race maybe it will make me care just a bit more to come in under some arbitrary round number.

When I did run that big 5K PR (of about 90 sec) a few years ago, it felt easy and I was really not pushing it very hard as I had the monkey the following week (my first marathon).  I want to get back to that easy PR shape and cherish it more if/when I do get it this time.

Even on the huge downhill (-6% grade) could not get the legs to move past my prior Long run pace (about 9 min/mile).

Mile intervals are still a big mental block for me, but will work towards 4 X mile over the next month or so at the same pace, goal is to run a 23:00 5K this fall, which will be within 10 sec of my PR.

Woot!

FWIW, I'm not persuaded that mile repeats are of great value for races under marathon length. Especially if you're struggling with leg turnover, I'd think maybe (a) 5k-race-pace 1000m repeats and (b) stuff to recruit fast-twitch muscle fibers (strides? plyometrics?) would better serve you.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

2 good workouts in the last 5 days for me, I'm hoping these indicate I'm back in decent condition.

Friday - 10 x 1,000 in 3:24/3:25 with 300m jogs in 1:30.

Yesterday - 200/300/400/500/600/600/500/400/300/200 with 200 jogs (34, 53, 1:12, 1:31, 1:52, 1:51, 1:32, 1:11, 51, 32)

One stamina style one and one speed one, money in the bank hopefully.

Woot!

FWIW, I'm not persuaded that mile repeats are of great value for races under marathon length. Especially if you're struggling with leg turnover, I'd think maybe (a) 5k-race-pace 1000m repeats and (b) stuff to recruit fast-twitch muscle fibers (strides? plyometrics?) would better serve you.

Thanks Clive, Looks like you are back in the saddle as well, training for anything specific?

I will keep those 5k pace repeats in mind, but the issue is what that pace should be.  I really need to run a race to find out. While the primary goal for this year is a well run 5K, I put in my name for that race not to be named in TN, and I believe training for that would get me half way to the desired fitness to attempt a decent 5K.

Feeling the growl again

I put in my name for that race not to be named in TN, and I believe training for that would get me half way to the desired fitness to attempt a decent 5K.

But you can't train for that..... Big grin

Made me tired just reading this

2 good workouts in the last 5 days for me, I'm hoping these indicate I'm back in decent condition.

Yesterday - 200/300/400/500/600/600/500/400/300/200 with 200 jogs (34, 53, 1:12, 1:31, 1:52, 1:51, 1:32, 1:11, 51, 32)

And we run because we like it
                          Through the broad bright land

Was the real workout running that ... or typing it? 

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks Clive, Looks like you are back in the saddle as well, training for anything specific?

I will keep those 5k pace repeats in mind, but the issue is what that pace should be.  I really need to run a race to find out. While the primary goal for this year is a well run 5K, I put in my name for that race not to be named in TN, and I believe training for that would get me half way to the desired fitness to attempt a decent 5K.

Granted, (1) I'm a data population of ONE, and (2) there are folks here who run rings 'round me in experience and training knowledge. That said ...

I did tempo, progression and fast-finish runs as my 2012 marathon prep. I felt I was VERY well-prepared for Richmond -- it was only my poor pacing decision in the early going that sabotaged what could have been a sub-3:15 day. In contrast, the following spring -- The Spring of Clive Breaking 19 -- was somewhat lower mileage but more shorter quality work. Which likewise had me well-prepared for that goal. (I think I was in ~18:45 shape, but I never got that magical alignment of race date, weather conditions, competition and intelligence to prove it.)

My "IMHO" bottom-line: just getting your running groove back is going to make a HUGE difference in your fitness and times. Looking forward to reading/hearing about it.

-- Dick LeBeau

Was the real workout running that ... or typing it? 

Yeah it was quicker doing the session that writing it up afterwards! 

HappyFeet - I'm with Clive, pure consistency will get you back in shape with a sprinkling of workouts, a block of solid weeks will get you back in good time.  I personally like to balance any quicker work (5k or faster) with some more stamina focused workouts (tempos, 10k or 1/2m long intervals), but I guess it all depends on your strengths and weaknesses.