3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Ostrich runner

Unless you have carried fatigue a real taper is not necessary. Twenty miler two weeks out, hold mileage pretty good that next week with another good tempo later in the week. Then maybe 12 for a long run a week out, and typical low volume final taper week.

I've been hitting 35-40 the last few weeks. I've been getting in a 12-13 miler once a week. You think I'd be better off aiming for higher total volume or having an additional 16+ miler in there? As I say that, getting the volume that way might be the easiest schedule-wise for me. With all the commitments, I've been having real trouble physically and mentally getting out more than 5 times p/w, and often just 4. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I've been hitting 35-40 the last few weeks. I've been getting in a 12-13 miler once a week. You think I'd be better off aiming for higher total volume or having an additional 16+ miler in there? As I say that, getting the volume that way might be the easiest schedule-wise for me. With all the commitments, I've been having real trouble physically and mentally getting out more than 5 times p/w, and often just 4. 

At this point, I'm not sure one over the other is going to make a difference.  Frankly you may be more likely to break yourself doing something new versus just checking the box again this week. 

That said, don't let me deter you from doing 16.  You're not a new runner so based on experience I'm sure you can pull up your big boy pants and decide if I'm out of line with your gut feeling.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

It's rare that I really enjoy running fast, but I had a great one today. Only 4 miles, but in the dark on a trail. Pushed it until I got a good ol' donut chasing style diaphragm cramp that went into my back. I could feel the hurt making me stronger. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

I could feel the hurt making me stronger. 

That is some warm fuzzies right here. It has been a long time since I hit an interval workout I felt good about but I managed it last night. Length was approximated from what it took me to run it at easy pace, but it was about 6X 3/8 mile from 1:55 down to 1:50...something like 5:05 mile pace down to low 4:50s. The recoveries were long and length may have been short but it felt great anyways.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Purdey

Self anointed title

C-R

Finally had  a good one. 6 miles with each quarter mile progressively faster. Sort of an interval run I created just to keep from being bored. 8:02/mi

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Looks like some good workouts being done!

I've had some good workouts lately however they aren't running they are from rowing.  Got 3 tempo 5k's in this week (today's at a average 7:23 pace. First 10 minutes was warm up) and yesterday I got in a nice 10k rowing session. Not sure there are progression workouts in rowing and if not there are now. Ended up averaging 7:52 for the 10k. 

I'm really enjoying the rowing and I see it as a nice addition to my running, well it will be when I am able to start running again

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

I've had some good workouts lately however they aren't running they are from rowing.  Got 3 tempo 5k's in this week (today's at a average 7:23 pace. First 10 minutes was warm up) and yesterday I got in a nice 10k rowing session. Not sure there are progression workouts in rowing and if not there are now. Ended up averaging 7:52 for the 10k. 

I'm really enjoying the rowing and I see it as a nice addition to my running, well it will be when I am able to start running again

lemonade from lemons with hard work. Proper Hurtlocker representation. Bravo.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

lemonade from lemons with hard work. Proper Hurtlocker representation. Bravo.

Thank you Norm!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

I've done a little rowing before.  That can get you sucking wind!  Nice workout!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Excellent...Sounds way hard.

steph  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not a single good workout, but now 5 x ~60 mile weeks, mostly feeling good.

Make that 6 x

Make that 6 x

Nice, is this training for umstead?

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Not doing Umstead in '13. It is during Passover. Hard to run a 100 on matzoh.

Planning to run Lookout Mt. 50 in 5 weeks and then a couple 50ks in January. Mostly though trying to get into shape to run a good marathon in the Spring, if I can find one. Would like to hold onto this kind of mileage until the end of the year or January before setting up a true training schedule.

Then again, I may just kep running Big grin

Mostly though trying to get into shape to run a good marathon in the Spring, if I can find one.

Strangest thing, I heard they cancelled all Spring marathons.  Sorry Trent, you'll have to find one in the fall.

(That's my hint of staying from Boston this year.  Big grin)