3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

C-R

When you figure it out, let me know.  You could adopt the Lord of the Flies parenting methodology, but something tell me that's not you.

Lord of the Rings perhaps but I spend enough time separating the boys with their wrestling and horsing around.

Yeah, here was last night's fun. Morning 5k to get started,  rouse kids (while still in running clothes) and get them off to school, typical workday but can't run at lunch (no shower or place), get home and head to soccer meeting, go directly from there to band concert, head home to finish helping with homework, hit the treadmill at 9 for an hour and work on a project until midnight. Rinse, reapply and repeat. DAMN!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

xhristopher

Lord of the Rings perhaps but I spend enough time separating the boys with their wrestling and horsing around.

Yeah, here was last night's fun. Morning 5k to get started,  rouse kids (while still in running clothes) and get them off to school, typical workday but can't run at lunch (no shower or place), get home and head to soccer meeting, go directly from there to band concert, head home to finish helping with homework, hit the treadmill at 9 for an hour and work on a project until midnight. Rinse, reapply and repeat. DAMN!

Don't you wish you could just run all your miles on the weekend?? I'll bet that schedule is even busier tho.

Finding time is tough because I'm not a morning runner. I've run over a quarter of my yearly miles commuting, all with a backpack. I set up my day where at the end of it I've got a minimum of 2.5 miles to cover on foot if I want to get home. Often I'm not in the mood but the basic urge to get home is always greater. Once under way, it's easier to add a couple miles and my commute time is only marginally longer due to traffic. I don't think this is an option or interesting to many but it's where I make time when I don't have it.

I should start doing this some days.  Work is about the same distance for me.

And I'm not doing enough yet to be the most insane teacher in the building.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

C-R

Don't you wish you could just run all your miles on the weekend?? I'll bet that schedule is even busier tho.

Well now that brings me to an interesting question for the group. I was thinking about this while on the TM last night. The old standard is your long run should be no longer than 25% (I think) of your overall miles. If I recall correctly this more of a ROT to prevent injury.

But what if you were able to run 50% of the miles on the weekend in one long run and one workout. So for a 60 mile week, I'm looking at a 15-20 miler easy and a 10-15 miler as a workout. The other 5 days are 6mpd which is one hour and easily fit into the schedule and one of those can be a workout on Wed.

Thoughts. Comments. Laughs.

Bring it.

MTA: After my few years of running 55-65 mpw seems to be my sweet spot. I know I could do better on 70+ but really don't know where to find the time.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

xhristopher

Probably most of my 40 mile weeks this year involved 40-45% of my miles on the weekend. This was very much due to the fact that I like to run at least 13.1 on Sundays, even when I'm not training for anything. I'd often take monday off and carry on fully recovered. So, this was easy. I don't know how well this scales to higher mileage. I also don't know how this would be if I wasn't so consistent. The way I see it is that when you live a busy work/family life training is inherently compromised. This is just one of the compromises.

Help at all?

It does. Thank you.

C-R, I found it "easy" to get in some stretching, core work, ect. while watching tv. Part of me wishes there was an easy way to do plyometrics. But, I really hate doing it. 

And we run because we like it
              Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Thoughts. Comments. Laughs.

One strategy for ultras/marathons is back-to-back workout days, or a long run one day followed by a mid-long the next.  The purpose is to re-create the fatigue feeling of the longer distances without having to do one huge long run...or, in combination with careful diet, to induce glycogen depletion and increase ability to metabolize fat.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it every single weekend, but it's not like the idea does not have precedent in training literature.  I've done "big weekends" here and there when the opportunity has arisen.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

One strategy for ultras/marathons is back-to-back workout days, or a long run one day followed by a mid-long the next.  The purpose is to re-create the fatigue feeling of the longer distances without having to do one huge long run...or, in combination with careful diet, to induce glycogen depletion and increase ability to metabolize fat.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it every single weekend, but it's not like the idea does not have precedent in training literature.  I've done "big weekends" here and there when the opportunity has arisen.

Yep, it's not unusual for some ultra runners to knock out 50 miles on the weekend.  That said, it is still usually less than half their weekly mileage.  If you are training for an ultra it may be a good thing once or twice a month, but if you are not, it may hurt more than help in shorter races.

I don't know about the fat burning/glycogen depletion thing.  Seems like lately there is some controversy over this.  My first 50 I felt like I really struggled with ingesting carbs because I got used to running on low glycogen.  I think this may be a YMMV.

Feeling the growl again

Yep, it's not unusual for some ultra runners to knock out 50 miles on the weekend.  That said, it is still usually less than half their weekly mileage.  If you are training for an ultra it may be a good thing once or twice a month, but if you are not, it may hurt more than help in shorter races.

I don't know about the fat burning/glycogen depletion thing.  Seems like lately there is some controversy over this.  My first 50 I felt like I really struggled with ingesting carbs because I got used to running on low glycogen.  I think this may be a YMMV.

Going off on a tangent here, but I recently read an interview with Trent Briney.  Apparently he has now gone to ultras.  (rant:  just when I start thinking of ultras these REALLY speedy fuckers start thinking the same thing.  Assholes.).   If you don't know him he's a former Hansons standout, 4th place in the 2004 marathon Trials, 2:12 guy.  He got 2nd to Max King at JFK 50, says he's running 90-100mpw.  Now, the guy has some injury history, but I was just surprised to see a guy at that level only running 90-100mpw.  Maybe there's home for me yet.

I'm probably better off sticking with the beer mile.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

but I recently read an interview with Trent Briney. 

This article?

...I think the true test of ultra training will be with back to back long runs on two straight days when I prep for a future 100 miler. I am running 70 to 90 miles per week with two workout days a week, a 2 to 4 hour long run day, and sometimes a second weekly 2 to 3 hour run. Usually one of the days will be a hill day which helps my running economy and power regardless of racing distance or type of race. As I am now 20 years into being a runner, I try to be flexible with my training a bit using cross-training, weight lifting and other outdoor activities to keep things fun and my fitness high. With regards to the running, variation and consistency are necessary for me perform at a high level....

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

C-R

I finally can post something about a workout. 14.5.@ 8:13 in the drizzle. Felt good. Felt hard. Felt like Tecumseh was just a bad day and these legs still have some geezer pop. Will do a shakeout tonight and hit another long one in the morning.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I finally can post something about a workout. 14.5.@ 8:13 in the drizzle. Felt good. Felt hard. Felt like Tecumseh was just a bad day and these legs still have some geezer pop. Will do a shakeout tonight and hit another long one in the morning.

Nice. Good to see you kicking some ass C-R.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

Nice. Good to see you kicking some ass C-R.

Thanks WD.

So I followed up yesterday's double with a 5.2. Felt good pushed the pace and ran 7:35s for 5.2. WTF.

Ostrich runner

Tomorrow I start back. The last couple weeks has made me realize how stupid it was for me to even line up at Tecumseh. Oh well, I had a good time, and that's what it's about. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Thanks WD.

So I followed up yesterday's double with a 5.2. Felt good pushed the pace and ran 7:35s for 5.2. WTF.

Now that's a decent weekend effort. I see that I better be watching my heels. Can't shake ya off that easy. Nice job.