3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I qualify as a master only by age.

BT, in all my years if there is one thing that remains a constant when it comes to training goals...Don't pass up the opportunity to train.

To Clarify...if you set your alarm for 4:00 am and your all warm and toasty in bed get over it...drag your ass out and get it done. If you put it off until later, later will bite you in the ass.

And, never under estimate what even a little 10min cardio session can do. Have a jump rope handy, a punching bag...etc...put them to use.

There is no cramming in endurance sports, You can't fill the jar with big stones, it takes lots of little ones to fill in all those voids.

A mini taper maybe...I've always been able to feel the fitness jump...consectutive results will be your answer.

And finally, When I was training for an Ironman I kept running clothes in my back pack...just in case. You never know.

Oh, and finally #2...don't be afraid to drop all the gadgets and just train.

Wow, never saw the scathing coming, but whatever, its the Hurtlocker so bring it.

My mileage had been on the rise and am feeling pretty good about running lately. Over the summer I felt like shit, but race times had been improving so I was definately doing something right. I'm in a good position running wise right now and was not to terribly disappointed that I lost a little time the last two weeks as I'm not really doing any structured running besides trying to run more. I usually try and run 6 days a week and only ran 5 days a week over the last two weeks.

I'm seriously considering a marathon in the spring and will be doing a Hanson's plan that should start on around Jan 10th and culminate on race day, May 11th, so right now I'm just acclimating myself to the paces required by the plan and cutting back on the swim and bike workouts. I'm not using the HR gadget for anything other then raw data to look at after a workout is complete and maybe guage any extra recovery that I may need but am too stupid to realize on my own. I just found that 10 mile Med-long run interesting because the HR was probably 8-10 beats lower then it was a few weeks ago for the about same pace, hence the question: Fitness jump or mini taper effects?

I was training for a goal HM last spring and was feeling fast until I developed a stress fracture that sidelined me for a long time. Again I was too stupid to see it coming but was hell bent on hitting the paces and workouts. I'm finding I really need to pay attention to the intensity as I'm pretty sure that's what did me in last year. I'm still hanging around the Clydesdale division and the faster running is really hard on my legs but thats not an excuse, its reality.

BTW, I also have a backpack with my workout clothes and shoes in it that I bring to work everyday. Most days I still workout twice a day during the week with some combo of swim, bike, run.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Slo

Wow, never saw the scathing coming, but whatever, its the Hurtlocker so bring it.

Big grin

Didn't mean it that way...This is a carry over from a friends weekly wrap up email that was full of excuses for not making his goals. See Spaniels sig line...same thing only this guy loved to repost all those slogans from "I heart running" on his face book page and pretend to be the bad ass that was depicted in the photos.

So I was kinda fired up.

Feeling the growl again

To that end I have not missed a scheduled core session in 5 weeks.

(Hangs head even lower)

While it's between my knees someone can kick me in the rear.

You should post that big stone/little stone comment in the long run thread on the GSP...great way to put it.

MTA:  As of January 2nd, I will have a brand new locker room, 1/5mi track, and treadmills available at work 5:30am-7pm.  Very pumped about this.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

And finally, When I was training for an Ironman I kept running clothes in my back pack...just in case. You never know.

Oh, and finally #2...don't be afraid to drop all the gadgets and just train.

One thing I do whether I'm planning a lunch run or not is that I always bring an extra set of running clothes along just in case I might get a chance over lunch or after work.  It doesn't always work but it at least gives me an option.

And on #2, couldn't agree more.  I've glanced at some of the other posts on HR training.  My SIL got all crazy with the HR training for her Half Ironman and was so focused on hitting the right zones.  She got through it but she made it too complicated and lost some of the fun in it.  About the only gadget I have is a GPS watch but I rarely run with.  Got it more for a present for the DW.  I prefer the old fashioned Timex.  I've kept it as simple as it was when I started running. 

Good post Slo!  You nailed it in more ways than one.

MTA:  As of January 2nd, I will have a brand new locker room, 1/5mi track, and treadmills available at work 5:30am-7pm.  Very pumped about this.

Damn your lucky to have that.

All I have are old locker rooms and en endless supply of soap/deodorant...

C-R

Very cool. I guess WhoDat and I now can't drop any mileage challenges. Having you limited helped with some of the gaps.

I stopped using the GPS watch and HR stuff too. Not sure if it was laziness or frankly I just need to run. Main reason I got the GPS was so I could run where I wanted and not have to complete some goofy map. I'll keep using it for new routes and maybe for race pacing.

This place is a good kick in the ass when needed.

Oh and Damn It mbehr! I'm gonna have to drop a surprise in the weekly run total to close the gap. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Oh and Damn It mbehr! I'm gonna have to drop a surprise in the weekly run total to close the gap. 

Oh shit...you are keeping it close.  Good thing I have a 10 mile progression run I'm doing in a little bit.  Haven't done one of these since May.  I'm getting some of those nervous and excited butterflies just thinking about it!

Im pretty sure this qualifies as cheating. 

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

#artbydmcbride

Pity me, I have a cool locker room, with a shower and a strictly enforced rule of no running near the premises.  I guess I could walk to the freeway and run on the shoulder, but I only have a half hour for lunch.  Undecided

Runners run

Oh shit...you are keeping it close.  Good thing I have a 10 mile progression run I'm doing in a little bit.  Haven't done one of these since May.  I'm getting some of those nervous and excited butterflies just thinking about it!

There you go CR...gave it a shot over lunch.  Added another 10 to the total.  It wasn't pretty but I did it.  Failed the last two miles.  Felt like effort increased but pace did not.  Pretty stiff wind the last few miles and had two decent overpasses to go over in each of the two miles.

C-R

There you go CR...gave it a shot over lunch.  Added another 10 to the total.  It wasn't pretty but I did it.  Failed the last two miles.  Felt like effort increased but pace did not.  Pretty stiff wind the last few miles and had two decent overpasses to go over in each of the two miles.

Nice. Gives me some extra motivation for this evening. 

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Started doing the Pfitzinger core and strength work again this week.

I was unpleasantly reminded that 20lb dumbbells are harder for me than they should be, and that I am a wuss.

Time to make this habit stick so I don't embarrass myself.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                          Emil Zatopek

Started doing the Pfitzinger core and strength work again this week.

I was unpleasantly reminded that 20lb dumbbells are harder for me than they should be, and that I am a wuss.

I dunno - I've been doing the Pfitz strength for a whole 3 weeks (started when I was out for a week with ankle stuff as an attempt to start strengthening some stuff so ankle stuff won't happen again)...I use 15 lbs - I don't think I could do 20lbs and keep correct form. So, if you're a wuss...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Last winter and spring, I was really good about weight training.  Went from starting at 10lbs to doing them at 30lbs.

I do dick around on my rock wall a lot, and I think it's contributed to me not losing too much and having decent upper body strength.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

Very nice. Have to start somewhere.

And we run because we like it
                                Through the broad bright land