3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fartleks - Humor me please (Read 471 times)

Prince of Fatness

OK, I think that I need to some faster running more often than I do.  Something unstructured may be best because my leg seems to numb up when I try to sustain an effort for a while (most of the time anyway).  So I am thinking fartleks.  Now that the weather is starting to cool it seems as good a time as any.

So, how do you folks approach fartleks?  When you pick up the pace, what effort level do you shoot for?  How do you vary the effort level?  I understand that this is an unstructured workout and can probably figure things out on my own .... just looking for some ideas.

Plus I just want to talk some running for a change.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

I would not say that I often do totally unstructured fartleks.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I like to have a plan and a reason behind what I am doing.

For me fartleks are almost exclusively time-based affairs.  I'll give some examples of the more popular ones I do though there are infinite permutations:

-10minON/5OFF/8ON/4OFF/6ON/3OFF/4ON/2OFF/2ON.  ON pace is faster than tempo, OFF pace is a little slower than MP, decently faster than anything you'd call easy/recovery.  So even though the ON duration is shortening it should not feel like the intervals are getting any easier.

-3X(8ON/4OFF).  Same strategy as above

-4-6minON/2-3minOFF. Sort of mile repeats, revert back to easy pace for OFF.

-3X(15minON/5minOFF).  Tempo pace or so ON, easy pace OFF

-For speed play -- 2minON/2minOFF, however many feels good.

If I want to run hard and take full recoveries (ie almost a jog), I usually call that an interval session.  For fartleks as you can see I either do typical easy pace for the recoveries or do one of the harder sessions where even the recoveries are quicker.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

My approach is much of the same as Spaniel's.  I keep them time based and usually keep them as a build-up/build-down approach. 

For example, (in minutes with 1/2 recovery) I would do a 1-1-2-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-2-1-1.  On portion would be tempo and 1/2 recovery would be easy/recovery pace (not a light jog or anything).  I'll usually work the shorter ones at a harder pace and back off on the 3-4-5 minute ones to a tempo pace.

Aside from that structure, the other more common one is the speed play at the end of a run...6-8 of 30 sec on/off.

If you can program it into your Garmin, it's not fartlek (as we knew it).

FWIW, we used to run various distances at various efforts with various recoveries (or not) between.  How long, how fast, how little recovery -- we (or our coach) made it up as we went along.  It's just running -- play around with it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

L Train

Make a plan to run aroiund the cul-de-sac, preferably barefoot. 

Every lap, have your buddy Fisher put some Weyerbacher seasonal beer on a stick and run in front of you like a relay.

Fisher steps aside with the beer, leaving you to run another lap while he drinks your beer. 

Repeat. 

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the responses.

I like the idea of making it time based.  The only problem with that right now is that sustained efforts have given me problems with the numb leg.  I've been fast finishing some easy runs, but I am concerned that all of this easy running is serving to tighten things up.  This is why I want to mix in some more faster running.

I think I am going to start out unstructured, and just see how it feels.  If I am feeling good I'll push it, if not I will back off.

Thanks again.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Fisher steps aside with the beer, leaving you to run another lap while he drinks your beer. 

This does not humor me, asshole.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Thanks for the responses.

I like the idea of making it time based.  The only problem with that right now is that sustained efforts have given me problems with the numb leg.  I've been fast finishing some easy runs, but I am concerned that all of this easy running is serving to tighten things up.  This is why I want to mix in some more faster running.

I think I am going to start out unstructured, and just see how it feels.  If I am feeling good I'll push it, if not I will back off.

Thanks again.

Well, start off with short ones.  Say 1minON, 2minOFF.  Then 2minON, 2minOFF.  See what works and what feels good.  This will also allow you to keep the speed up, forcing a longer stride and therefore stretching things out more.

Another idea....rather than just doing this on workout days, add 4-6 of the 1minON, 2minOFF onto every other easy run too.  That's not a lot of fast running, but may help keep the pressure on loosening things out.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

Well, start off with short ones.  Say 1minON, 2minOFF.  Then 2minON, 2minOFF.  See what works and what feels good.  This will also allow you to keep the speed up, forcing a longer stride and therefore stretching things out more.

Another idea....rather than just doing this on workout days, add 4-6 of the 1minON, 2minOFF onto every other easy run too.  That's not a lot of fast running, but may help keep the pressure on loosening things out.

I like this, thanks.  The mileage has been there, at least enough, to support some faster running so I'm not worried about overdoing it at all.  Honestly, what's been holding me back is this heat.  I have to run after work during the week and it's been a struggle just to get out there and log the miles let alone run anything fast.  We have a couple of nice days in the forecast so maybe I'll take a stab at this tomorrow.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

what's been holding me back is this heat.  

You and me both, dude.  It's just cooled off enough that I'm logging every mile I can so that when it's finally cool enough to actually do a workout, I'm able to.  I did 8 at lunch (75deg, pretty nice) and 10 in the evening (83-85deg, tolerable but warm) and the last couple miles I really, really felt.

I am concerned that all of this easy running is serving to tighten things up.  This is why I want to mix in some more faster running.

I am just concerned that any sudden fast work will piss the numb leg off, royally. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

I am just concerned that any sudden fast work will piss the numb leg off, royally. 

Thanks, mommy, but no need to be concerned.

1. This ain't sudden fast work.  I have been doing some fast running.  These fartleks will be unstructured, and how much I do will depend on how I feel.
                          2. I am running pain free now for the most part.  The only issue that I have is the occasional numbness.
                          3. If my leg starts to go numb I'll slow down or stop.  It's pretty hard to run when you can't feel your leg, anyway.  You should try it.

Feel better?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Tater has proven his issue to be somewhat different than mine, but fast running to rip loose tightness was what fixed my PF twice.

Thanks, mommy, but no need to be concerned.

1. This ain't sudden fast work.  I have been doing some fast running.  These fartleks will be unstructured, and how much I do will depend on how I feel.
                              2. I am running pain free now for the most part.  The only issue that I have is the occasional numbness.
                              3. If my leg starts to go numb I'll slow down or stop.  It's pretty hard to run when you can't feel your leg, anyway.  You should try it.

Feel better?

Yes.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Prince of Fatness

We have a couple of nice days in the forecast so maybe I'll take a stab at this tomorrow.

Done.  It went pretty well.  I think that I can work this into the weekly schedule.

Thanks all.

Not at it at all.