3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

The Des Plaines 50-Mile Ultra thread - 10/20/2012 (Read 498 times)

How are things coming along with the training and pelvic soreness?

Feeling the growl again

How are things coming along with the training and pelvic soreness?

Meh.  Work is killing my training the last couple weeks.  I am in Vienna right now.  The pelvic thing was put on the backburner by the time off.  it is there in the background but not a real issue except when I do long runs....it aggravages certain muscles around the center of the pelvis and if I stop running for more than a little bit they will lock up and i can't re-start (my two 30-miler attempts ended at 23 and 20 as a result, when I had to stop to refuel; felt fine otherwise).

The piriformis/sciatica is the deal now.  But I'm running through it.  May run as much as 30 miles (in 2 runs) tomorrow.  If I am not working, sleeping, or getting ready to sleep, I am trying to use the time to run while on this trip. 

Even with all the missed time September looks to be one of my higher mileage months this year, so that is something.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Well, the bulk of my race-specific training is now behind me.  Running-wise this was the most productive road trip I have ever had; 70 miles in 6 days, but I only ran the middle four (full day of flying on each end).  10-20-10-30 miles.

I logged the 20-miler as 7min miles but after actually using my GPS during the 30-miler, I now know it was considerably faster (the weather was SO NICE).  Much of the 30-miler was faster than the 7:15 average I logged; that included climbing a small mountain/foothill on the outskirts of time (a wonderful scenic view running through vineyards).  Also since I was carrying a water bottle and chocolate bars (only portable nutrition I could find) my lower back and right hip (the problematic one) did not like the side-to-side with the weight in hand, and I actually turned around before the summit when stuff started hurting.  So the last 70-80 minutes were kinda miserable from my back and hip, and so I ran some of the last miles a bit slower.

But I ran damn fast the last 5 minutes, just to know I could.  Big grin

Overall it was a nice confidence booster and very scenic run, took lots of photos.  I got into that uncomfortable spot I needed to get used to where the mind needs to override the legs.  I confirmed that if I never really stop.....my nutrition stops I kept walking very fast and stretching the whole time...I can overcome the cramping problems I've been having.  On to the 50.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Nice.

steph  

Awesome!  30 miles at 7:15 pace being easy is a good sign for DPR!

Well, the bulk of my race-specific training is now behind me.  Running-wise this was the most productive road trip I have ever had; 70 miles in 6 days, but I only ran the middle four (full day of flying on each end).  10-20-10-30 miles.

I logged the 20-miler as 7min miles but after actually using my GPS during the 30-miler, I now know it was considerably faster (the weather was SO NICE).  Much of the 30-miler was faster than the 7:15 average I logged; that included climbing a small mountain/foothill on the outskirts of time (a wonderful scenic view running through vineyards).  Also since I was carrying a water bottle and chocolate bars (only portable nutrition I could find) my lower back and right hip (the problematic one) did not like the side-to-side with the weight in hand, and I actually turned around before the summit when stuff started hurting.  So the last 70-80 minutes were kinda miserable from my back and hip, and so I ran some of the last miles a bit slower.

But I ran damn fast the last 5 minutes, just to know I could.  Big grin

Overall it was a nice confidence booster and very scenic run, took lots of photos.  I got into that uncomfortable spot I needed to get used to where the mind needs to override the legs.  I confirmed that if I never really stop.....my nutrition stops I kept walking very fast and stretching the whole time...I can overcome the cramping problems I've been having.  On to the 50.

DoppleBock

Tick - tock ~ Almost showtime!

I on the other hand have let my mental game lapse with the achillies issue ~ Drinking beer and food like a college freshmen ... 15#

I feel ready to care again ~ But it is too late for the Trail 50M I am doing in 9 days.  If I take top 5 I will be happy.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Tick - tock ~ Almost showtime!

I on the other hand have let my mental game lapse with the achillies issue ~ Drinking beer and food like a college freshmen ... 15#

I feel ready to care again ~ But it is too late for the Trail 50M I am doing in 9 days.  If I take top 5 I will be happy.

Yup.  A bit late for me to finally get some real ultra training in but better late than never I guess.  Although I'm still suffering too many goose eggs in my log, I am going to try for a 20-miler today, which will make two 20s and a 30 in 6 days...so that should put some good stimulus in the legs.

So that will put me 15 days out from the race.  My gut tells me not to bother going over 12-14 miles after this, spend a little more time on faster stuff to make the easy pace feel easier.  Thoughts?

DoppleBock

I agree

now it is time for marathon taper - Just do the taper you would do if 10/20 was a marathon you were running

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Last long workout in the books...20 miler with a few miles of work towards the end.  I am encouraged that I was able to do 3 run of 20 or longer in 7 days with the only soreness being a bit the day after the 30, but this one was hard on the back/hip again.  I think the treadmill is the root of this evil, it hits much earlier and worse there than when running outside.

Spaniel - I pulled out of pacing Detroit.  ITB is killing me, plus I have to figure out why I am not recovering and pacing a marathon 2 weeks after a goal marathon isn't going to help with that.  If you need any kind of crew assistance or need a pacer (not sure if they are allowed), let me know.

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - I pulled out of pacing Detroit.  ITB is killing me, plus I have to figure out why I am not recovering and pacing a marathon 2 weeks after a goal marathon isn't going to help with that.  If you need any kind of crew assistance or need a pacer (not sure if they are allowed), let me know.

I am very sorry about your injury, that really stinks.

The race does not allow pacers or mules but says nothing about banning crews.  What I learned last year was that most of the aid stations are self-serve so if you really want to move you need a crew so you don't have to stop just to pour your own water.  It is a well-run race and this is a manpower issue so I understand why the did it.  The organizers were wonderful last year, the only issue I had was being 3rd through the turnaround yet having my drop bag come back dead last, having to wait around 3 hours for it past when the first load arrived.  Nobody is perfect.

WhoDatRunner is crewing for me.  If you want to come out it would be great to meet you and I would assume he would not mind the company.  Beer and food afterward is on me, I have not figured out the details on that yet.  Let me know.

Feeling the growl again

I did not think I was tweaking at all.  But last night I dreamed that I got to the race and had forgotten all my fuel.  Then I found out that WhotDat was not crewing for me and running it himself instead (WhoDat I must have faith in you, you were gunninng for 7 hours).  It ended with me still running after dark, eating my sweatshirt for fuel.

And I didn't even drink anything last night.

C-R

I did not think I was tweaking at all.  But last night I dreamed that I got to the race and had forgotten all my fuel.  Then I found out that WhotDat was not crewing for me and running it himself instead (WhoDat I must have faith in you, you were gunninng for 7 hours).  It ended with me still running after dark, eating my sweatshirt for fuel.

And I didn't even drink anything last night.

Eating a swaetshirt? Is that a carb or a protein?

Time for some decaf.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Eating a swaetshirt? Is that a carb or a protein?

Time for some decaf.

Fiber.

C-R

Fiber.

Good point. Well it help to be regular.

Some Metamucil perhaps with that decaf.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/