3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Indoor Open Track Meet Sunday - What to Do? (Read 39 times)

Walk-Jogger

LOL - It looks like the meet organizers just realized there's some kind of big football game being played somewhere this Sunday. The 5K race has been cut, and the other events moved to earlier start times so the meet will be over a couple hours earlier than originally planned.  I may be able to get my long run in Sunday afternoon, after all...

Retired &  Loving It

Late to the party, but ...

just because I love the "primal scream" feeling of all-out speed

I love this description!

I'm actually dumb enough to consider entering every event, but that clearly would lead to less than best effort results in each.

A friend and I did this at an all-comer's meet back when I was 20 or so.  "Jim Thorpe-ing", we called it.  100, 200, 400, 800, mile, 4x400 (he ran a lap, I ran one, he ran one, I anchored), 110H, LJ, shot put, HJ (as best I can recall).  Great fun, an I PR'ed the mile!  But yeah, odds are you will not see your best performances in all events.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

Just back from this meet, and thought I'd put up my times in case anyone is interested, before I crash out in front of the Super Bowl and take a nap.

1 mile:               5:28:24 (corrected from online meet results)

800 meters:      2:29:45

200 meters:         30.21

I'm glad to have gone under 5:30 on the mile and 2:30 on the 800, but I was disappointed with my 200 meter time. You guys were right, three events raced all out is a bit too much by the third race, especially with just 20 minutes between the last two races. I think I put everything out there on the mile and 800, but I'm sure can do a better 200  time on fresher legs and with a bit of specific speed training.

I was dead last in each race, which is a bit humiliating and hard to take but I was running against all high school track team members, except for the other two masters runners in the mile. They were both age 45 and ran 4:57/4:58.  On the mile, I was closing the gap a bit at the end, finishing maybe 40 meters back. On the 800 I had closed the gap on the 2nd to last high school runner kid who seemed to be fading, and I was just a few steps behind him right up till the final stretch, where I "planned" to outkick him to the line. But he suddenly found a whole 'nother gear, and took off with 50 meters to go, and left me in the dust. I was in full kick mode at the time. So, it is what it is. I'm very glad I signed up and raced, because now I know exactly where I'm at on my mile and 800 times.

MTA: From the online meet results, it looks like I was down 2.4 seconds from the next runner in  the mile, 1.6 seconds in the 800, and 2.32 seconds in the 200m.

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

Awesome Cecil. Hell those boys are old enough to be your grandkids and you gave 'em hell. Nice work.

Damn you people make me refuse to take a day off just to keep pace. Love it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Just back from this meet, and thought I'd put up my times in case anyone is interested, before I crash out in front of the Super Bowl and take a nap.

1 mile:               5:28:41

800 meters:      2:29:45

200 meters:         30.21

I'm glad to have gone under 5:30 on the mile and 2:30 on the 800, but I was disappointed with my 200 meter time. You guys were right, three events raced all out is a bit too much by the third race, especially with just 20 minutes between the last two races. I think I put everything out there on the mile and 800, but I'm sure can do a better 200  time on fresher legs and with a bit of specific speed training.

I was dead last in each race, which is a bit humiliating and hard to take but I was running against all high school track team members, except for the other two masters runners in the mile. They were both age 45 and ran 4:57/4:58.  On the mile, I was closing the gap a bit at the end, finishing maybe 40 meters back. On the 800 I had closed the gap on the 2nd to last high school runner kid who seemed to be fading, and I was just a few steps behind him right up till the final stretch, where I "planned" to outkick him to the line. But he suddenly found a whole 'nother gear, and took off with 50 meters to go, and left me in the dust. I was in full kick mode at the time. So, it is what it is. I'm very glad I signed up and raced, because now I know exactly where I'm at on my mile and 800 times.

That's a good day's effort Cecil. Damn, I'd be be happy with a 30 sec 200 on fresh legs.