3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

DoppleBock

Nader- for me, if its a timed thing its a fartlek. if its a set distance its an interval.

(most of the time.)

For me a Fartlek is run with many paces and many different distances of which neither is pre-conceived.

An interval is either a time of distance thing where there is a set plan for pace and distance.  For me they are almost always the same pace for each interval and usually the same distance (Unless I am struggling)

I do not think it matters -

Andy - Stay tough and focussed.

My only plan is to be crabby and hungry for a few months.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

obsessor

My goal this week is to hurt every day.   I want to run enough volume and workouts that I wake up sore every day and need to cringe my way into every run.  I am going to follow the 200% rule religiously.  My body will adapt rapidly or break.  If I read one more post about needing to fully recover before every run I am going to puke.

Discuss.

Funny. I came here to start a thread by the exact same topic name. Only the subject was going to be slightly different. I am going to make a run at one of my all-time ultra goals.

I agree with your premise. I don't know what the 200% rule is, though. I am doing a similar thing, though on a longer term, and to a lesser intensity. (as previously discussed.)

C-R

You people are sick and twisted and I mean that in the best way.

My prediction? PAIN

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

MrH

I've been working in this "3:00 on, 1:30 off" thing to see what it does for me.  Not sure if it's considered a fartlek or interval type run. I know the label doesn't matter. But I'm interested to know for context's sake. 

I don't think it matters either. You can just call them repeats if you want. Smile

Fartlek traditionally would be unstructured and each effort may or may not be the same ... measured intervals make more sense for track runners. Racing on the roads or trails with hills, tight corners etc make measured intervals artificial. 

So whether you call a workout of "5 x 3 minutes at 5k pace with 1:30 jogs" repeats, efforts, intervals or NadsBusters, it's up to you.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Heh

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hawt and sexy

Ah, to be young again.

I'm touching your pants.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Damn you(*) My 2x3200 Sat really killed me and it was slow. Tried to repeat it today, and couldn't even do the second 3200. Darn. Hope you have a lot more success than I am. (I'm gonna write mine off as hopefully I'm just not recovered from my long run a week ago.)

(* and  mean this in the most positive way)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

obsessor

Ah, to be young again.

How old are you?

Hawt and sexy

Not as old as you. heh

38, but the my days of hard workouts day after day are long over. I could still pump out some high mileage if I wanted. I am not that sure I could do much quality work though. Unless we count long runs. If we count those, then I can do tons of quality.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Nader- for me, if its a timed thing its a fartlek. if its a set distance its an interval.

(most of the time.)

Yeah, pretty much.  Intervals are a set distance and typically run pretty fast.  Fartleks are usually by time, often longer, and always slower (closer to tempo or critical velocity pace).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Feeling the growl again

Not as old as you. heh

38, but the my days of hard workouts day after day are long over. I could still pump out some high mileage if I wanted. I am not that sure I could do much quality work though. Unless we count long runs. If we count those, then I can do tons of quality.

38 can't be old because it is too close for me.

We'll see if I can do anything close to what I did at 28, at 32.  I already know my heat tolerance is worse.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

We'll see if I can do anything close to what I did at 28, at 32.  I already know my heat tolerance is worse.

I have no heat tolerance! Crap I have no cold tolerance either. DAMN I'm old

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I have great heat tolerance, I think. Had a good track workout a year and a half ago in 100+, and ran (directed & also ran myself) a track meet this summer in 100+.

But I have insufficient pain tolerance for great workouts Sad

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Hawt and sexy

Yeah, the last two years of summer did not go over well with me. Heat is bad. Winter running is great for me because it's all on Probey. Temp controlled is the way to go. I don't have air conditioning for the summer, but my area does not get very hot. I feel very fortunate to be in an area that has low humidity. August in IA is bad, here it's just warm, 80-90. No 100+ days.

I'm touching your pants.

38 can't be old because it's 38.  83 is old. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus