3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Feeling the growl again

Yeah...so what is the deal with the swamp and this group? Haven't ever really figured out why most of the conversations on RA go on in members groups.

Obsessor stickied a thread on top that says why this group started....while there is a lot of membership overlap with the swamp we sort of evolved a different character here.  We talk about training more.  We seem to be a masochistic, no-holds-barred, no excuses type of training/discussion philosophy.  

I think these groups allow self-selection of like-minded individuals.

BTW, I got some good hurt on today.  Third 16-miler ever on the treadmill and relatively quick.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just jogged (& walked) trails today, but I was out there 3.5 hours, because I want to make a map to print out of the trails in a particular park -- including ones not on the documented maps -- and I can use the fabulous RA map feature to make it. But I ran out of steam and didn't get everything, so I'll see if I can use a paint program and splice in some more routes from another run. My rear end hurt afterward. 

But I like the idea that I may have the best known trail map of that park, shortly.

Also, I followed a fire break to another park, which I'd not even thought about as a possible place to run to.

Yeah, I'm still a little bit over on the picking flowers plan Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ostrich runner

Obsessor stickied a thread on top that says why this group started....while there is a lot of membership overlap with the swamp we sort of evolved a different character here.  We talk about training more.  We seem to be a masochistic, no-holds-barred, no excuses type of training/discussion philosophy.  

Well, I got my first DNF yesterday...so I guess I'm down for the hurting myself thing. Woo hoo!

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Kalsarikännit

Meh.  I was 18th woman, but 1st in my age group.  Sometimes you just get lucky with that age group stuff.  Three women passed me at mile 25.  I had nothing.  When you know you are going to be passed and the tank is on E?  That is the worst feeling in the world.  I held them off for two miles before that.  I did better than I thought I could, but I had the bad feeling that it was just a matter of time. 

Did I hurt myself?  I don't know.  After the double Monkey two weeks ago and the 100 two weeks before that, I felt empty.  It wasn't bad on the ups, and it wasn't bad on the downs, but on the few flattish areas, my legs felt like I was wading through knee deep water.  It was a very weird feeling.  It is rough to dig in and come up with some crap that is slower than your easy run pace.

I know I shouldn't be racing.  My training suffers and I have become a crappier runner for all this racing this year.  Almost 1000 miles of racing is stupid.  It is not happening next year.  I am looking forward to 2011.  I  look forward to feeling good for workouts, and to be able to race my races and not just survive them.  I am looking forward to hurting.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Ostrich runner

You were looking strong still when I saw you, you were probably a half mile ahead of me at the turnaround.  I didn't race anything like what you did last year, but I definitely raced too often over the last few months and trained too little. I really need to do some core stuff or get in the pool.  I feel races more in my midsection than I do in my legs.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I watched Long Green Line recently, and there is a long interview with Sebastian Coe, and I was shocked when he said he never had a race harder than his training runs. A friend of mine told me that there is a slogan about that "Train hard, race easy". I don't think I've done too much of that, and it makes me think about trying to work some of my training runs harder -- at some point.  But I have a miniature version of WG's problem, with races getting a little in the way -- doing a marathon next weekend, so not going to do any hard workout this week.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Kalsarikännit

I know I shouldn't be racing. 

I'm not listening to that broad.  She is an idiot, and it is still 2010.

HUFF.  Everyone.  No cry-baby excuses why you can't be there*.  Run it, race it, who cares.  What is important is that you get really muddy.  Running is more fun when you are dirty.  

*Just sell the kids to the gypsies, already.  You know you want to. 

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Feeling the growl again

*Just sell the kids to the gypsies, already.  You know you want to. 

This weekend I was very, very tempted.  Heh.

Hell, a RA gathering in my backyard and I can't go.  This sucks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

the double Monkey two weeks ago and the 100 two weeks before that, 

That qualifies as hurting in my book.

Regarding hurting in training, it's not the same as in a race.  In a race it is acute, it is a whole lot of pain in a short period if you have a great race.  Hurting in training is about carrying that baggage with you, running a great workout even though you are still a little tired from the last one...then getting up and running again the next day.  It is the suffering of the repetitive insults taken willingly.  In many ways it is harder than hurting during a race.

I'm not listening to that broad.  

Ha, you're a killer, WG. Don't get so down on yourself. You're learning. Like Jimmy Buffet says, "I'm growing older, not up."  Keep racing. It's fun. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

flovesparko

My goal this week is to hurt every day.   I want to run enough volume and workouts that I wake up sore every day and need to cringe my way into every run.  I am going to follow the 200% rule religiously.  My body will adapt rapidly or break.  If I read one more post about needing to fully recover before every run I am going to puke.

Discuss.

I remember those days when I was in my 20's and thought I was invincible.   A good friend of mine that has run a 2:20 marathon in the past still tells some of the people he coaches that he will either get them fast or injured. I'm too old to follow that advice, wish I would have known him 20 years ago, I'm sure I would have followed his advice.  

Feeling the growl again

I remember those days when I was in my 20's and thought I was invincible.   A good friend of mine that has run a 2:20 marathon in the past still tells some of the people he coaches that he will either get them fast or injured. I'm too old to follow that advice, wish I would have known him 20 years ago, I'm sure I would have followed his advice. 

I am not in my 20s and I am not invincible.  However, despite a relatively modest level of overall running talent I seem to have an unusual talent for absorbing large volumes of quality training without getting injured.  My only Achilles heel with this is that I can train myself into anemia if I am not careful.  As of yet, the anemia has been the only "injury" to ever bring me down. 

I have trained more and at higher paces than many more talented runners and therefore beat some of them.  The ones that are more talented and train as much still beat me.  Others have as much or more will to succeed than me but get injured.

I have a good friend I ran against in HS and with in college.  In both settings he always beat me soundly, just more raw talent.  In HS he was running sub-17 his first year of XC, I worked 4 years to get low-17s on similar training.  In college he was our 2nd runner most years and I was not on the travel squad until senior year.  2 minutes faster over 8K, same training.  We ended up living close after college for a few years, but I was a year ahead of him so had taken up 90-100 mpw a year earlier.  He could not keep up with me so he adopted my training and soon despite his success in college (33ish 10K, 4 flat 1500m) he was running even faster.  On a steady 80 mpw doing most workouts with me, he was running 31:30 10K and almost caught up to me in races (I was doing 90-110 mpw).  Then the injuries started, and he could never get enough consistency to run that fast again. 

This is why Ritz has never fulfilled his potential.  The dude has the talent to do so much more than he has, but I'm not sure he has ever gone a full year uninjured.  You can't reach your potential in the marathon when you keep getting injured.

I am not in my 20s and I am not invincible.  However, despite a relatively modest level of overall running talent I seem to have an unusual talent for absorbing large volumes of quality training without getting injured.  My only Achilles heel with this is that I can train myself into anemia if I am not careful.  As of yet, the anemia has been the only "injury" to ever bring me down.  

The one thing that sucks about not being in the 20s anymore is the time it takes to recover!  I used to take a pretty good beat down throughout the week and could recover quite easily.  Noticing now that when the beat down happens, I have to add a few extra days to the recovery.  And speaking of Achilles...no, I don't to go there.  It's interesting how training habits need to change as the years go by.

Feeling the growl again

The one thing that sucks about not being in the 20s anymore is the time it takes to recover!  I used to take a pretty good beat down throughout the week and could recover quite easily.  Noticing now that when the beat down happens, I have to add a few extra days to the recovery.  And speaking of Achilles...no, I don't to go there.  It's interesting how training habits need to change as the years go by.

I don't seem to have the recovery issue yet....after only a couple weeks of getting serious it's time to put in the volume that limits me and not recovering from workouts, at my current volume I recover quickly.

My major age-related issue is what I think is some sort of metabolic issue that the common panels cannot diagnose.  My core body temp has dropped a few degrees and when I stop running I get low thryoid-type symptoms...though as long as I run regularly they go away.  I am cold all the time.  My whole family has low thyroid but I test normal, I think I am messed up somewhere else in the pathway though.

The result is that I have developed very poor heat tolerance.  Coupled with moving several hundred miles south, I can no longer train seriously in the summer.  So fall marathons are no longer reasonable if I expect to perform very well.

obsessor

I am going to choose "train hard or break". I won't be able to take training speed as if I was 25, but I'll be damned if I can't handle double the volume. I'm going to hit forty on the couch or in the mix. I can't stomach all this in between mediocrity crap. I mean, I have just been lazy.

That said, I will try to use enough intelligence to remain on my feet and off the bench.