3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

+1. Only have run one but the trail runners are a welcoming group.

Yes, I did notice a big difference from a road race type event.  For the betterSmile

steph  

C-R

I may actually have been pushing it to the finish.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I may actually have been pushing it to the finish.

Great picture! Somehow I had pictured you totally different

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Hawt and sexy

So, Andypants. Is the dude DQed yet? Like, we can start asking about this on their Facebook page and stuff.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

So, Andypants. Is the dude DQed yet? Like, we can start asking about this on their Facebook page and stuff.

Bloody hell.  Don't get me started.

Yesterday I sent an email to the RD expressing my disappointment that despite the behavior ADMITTED by the offender, and the commentary of an independent witness, the individual was not DQ'd (in fact, finished on the podium).  At 2am I got a reply that said a) he was not going to give a full reply as it was late and he did not trust himself to form coherent sentences, and b) "additional eyes" had come forward with versions and due to this he had decided to leave things "as is".

I am still awaiting a full reply.  All I can guess is that another runner said that I shoved back.  Well, yes, even at the time I did not deny that after the first assault nearly took me off my feet, when he jumped off the curb and closed with me again yelling at me I pushed him away as I felt threatened again and reacted reflexively in self defense.  So yes, I pushed back.  But then I turned my back on him and tried to run out of the situation, and the result (according to the independent runner's version to the RD) was that this individual pursued me, wrapped me with both arms from behind, and threw me to the ground.

You can bet that if I had been an aggressor, this 125lb skeleton piece of shit would not have finished the race.  I would have gotten off the ground and finished the issue right there.

If I'm really determined to be partially at fault for a knee-jerk decision to defend myself, this is not over.  Depending when I hear back from the RD, I have not ruled out a trip to the police station to request filing assault charges tomorrow.  Not that I have time for this crap.  But I bet it would create a headache for the RD, which is starting to look attractive.  But I will hear him out.

At the very least, I'm never doing the Sam Costa Half Marathon again.  So far I've been relatively tight-lipped and made it clear to them that I have done so in order to spare the race bad publicity or headaches for the administration.  The tea leaves say that's not going to last.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

Interesting. I bump into people a LOT. If the RD is ok with them doing that to me in retaliation, I'm guessing that would not be a race for me either.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Interesting. I bump into people a LOT. If the RD is ok with them doing that to me in retaliation, I'm guessing that would not be a race for me either.

Accidental bumps in races happen.  I've been spiked, elbowed, and pushed and held no ill will against people.  Deliberate, unprovoked attempts to take down and injure other runners are on another level.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

Well, I couldn't resist. I have a hunch my comment will be removed though.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Spaniel...Ben asked me if I read about your race, and I hadn't. But now I have.

I absolutely know that I would not have reacted as well as you did. Similar to what Nadar said, that is definitely not in the spirit of running. And in the first 1/2 mile? Seriously? What a piece of shit. And seriously, dude looks fresh out of prison.

I'm so sorry this happened to you. You should definitely press charges. I'm sure that wouldn't go over well with his parole officer Wink

C-R

Well I added a reply as well after finishing my taxes so I was doubly pissed.

The RD promised me an answer as well and as of midnight I have nothing. Frankly this stinks to high heaven and it reflects poorly on the running club. Looks like i will be e-mailing the club president tomorrow.

Ficking A.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

Where are you guys posting comments?

No word from the RD on this end yet and you think I'd be the first to know.  If I have the need to reply to whatever his reasoning is...at this point I'm assuming he will imply I was somehow at fault or it was somehow accidental...I was going to cc the club President and VP.  I don't hold the club at fault at all, and I don't hold the race at fault at all for the actions of one uncontrollable idiot.  The post-race handling, however, is not shaping up impressively.

I'm likely taking some time out this afternoon to file a police report.  I was not going to, but I'm just irritated enough to now and if somehow medical bills become involve I'll have shot myself in the foot if I don't.

Purdey

Self anointed title

The dude needs to eat a pizza.

Slo

Spaniel...Or anyone that may have knowlegde.

You said this guy jumped the curb onto the grass. Essentially he short cut the course. Isn't this alone reason for DQ ?

Obviously this is a pretty common sight to see MOP and BOP'ers to hop curbs on over crowded courses but something you would never see the elite runners do.

When I certified our Half Marathon/10k/5k courses you measure the shortest possible distance a runner could take without leaving the course. It's generally understood that the course is up to the curb (or edge of paved path).

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel...Or anyone that may have knowlegde.

You said this guy jumped the curb onto the grass. Essentially he short cut the course. Isn't this alone reason for DQ ?

Obviously this is a pretty common sight to see MOP and BOP'ers to hop curbs on over crowded courses but something you would never see the elite runners do.

When I certified our Half Marathon/10k/5k courses you measure the shortest possible distance a runner could take without leaving the course. It's generally understood that the course is up to the curb (or edge of paved path).

I would certainly say the curb issue is not something I would get worked up about.  Even on the track I think there is some flexibility for how many steps etc you are inside the curb barrier.  He was not up there more than a few steps before be knocked me out of the way and jumped down.  Deliberate initiation of physical contact meant to impede a runner from behind, followed shortly thereafter by pursuing a runner trying to move away from the situation and tackling them to the ground, seem a bit more significant.  Wink

I did file a complaint against one of the elite female Kenyan runners at the Crim 10-miler in Michigan one year.  As I followed her during the first two miles, every time we came to a turn where there was not a barrier or crowd she would hop up on the curb and cut the best tangent she could across the sidewalk.  A few of these cuts must have cut off 10-15 yards and the need to make a 90-degree turn.  I even told her to stop doing it or I would turn her in, but perhaps her English was not the best, she kept at it.  IIRC she was DQ'd and the reason that she gave was that they do that all the time in Kenya.  Perhaps it was her first international race and she did not know better, but rules are rules.

Why didn't the guy just go around on your right side like a normal person? It cost him the same amount of time lost to pass on the left. And what did he think you were, some housewife pushing a stroller in his way on a Saturday morning run? You don't say "on your left" in a race. Idiot.

THIS IS SO STUPID!! ahh.

It looks like they're commenting on that guys picture, if you're still looking for where people are commenting.