3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March Racing Thread (Read 1400 times)

DoppleBock

I have to defend him a bit - Although he was pissed about it - When I said something - They did stop immediately - So a total of 4 of the 31 miles were paced.  Although disappointed - I am not mad at him and do not hold ill feelings.  His action was not directed at me negatively - Just trying to help himself.  I think he was in the wrong - But he probably had planned mentally for company for the last 10 miles and so it made the last 10k tough for him.  Where it brought my racing spirit into high gear - So I was pulled along lap 1-4 trying to race and beat him ( My eyes were focussed on him the whole way) - He was an excellent pacer for me.  He motivated me to take more pain the last lap than I would have.

Again - Pacing is wrong - But he stopped as soon as I said something - So I am leaving it at that.

Not like he pushed me down or something.   

Nice racing Clive and am. Well done DB especially with that tool.

what the hell is it with people cheating. I mean use evry tactic you can to compete but cheating? Where's the honor in that. Jebus that just pisses me off. Way to keep your cool and beat his best illegal effort. I hope he puts more work into training instead of schemeing but likely not.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Don't think anyone will try that.  Most runners will probably just bounce off you.

From my reply...

"My competitive days are years behind me.  I choose races for the fun,
        relaxation, and camraderie they provide.  I wish you all the best with
        future events but I expect you can understand that after this incident
        and how it has turned out I believe I am more likely to find those
        things at other races where I am not reminded of this or perceived to
        be an unsportsmanlike aggressor."

I can only speak for myself....though I of course greatly appreciate the support I've seen from other runners.

Wow, have I missed some drama over the past week.  Sorry to hear about the half Spaniel.  Enough has already been said about it but I still can not believe some one would do that in a race, especially someone running at that pace.  Anyone with half a brain cell would know that the person in front of you has the right away.  The same concepts that apply to driving on the road apply to running on them.  Simply unbelievable.  I've had my share of an elbow thrown my way or attempts at keeping position but it has always been in the friendly spirit of competition.

Hope things heal up just fine.

I think you mentioned about your 4-yr old having to have a couple of teeth pulled.  Our boy, Nathan, is five and will likely be having teeth pulled his next visit.  He has two issues...two teeth growing out of the same root and those two teeth being fused together to a third tooth next to it.  I'm not looking forward to the day where all of that gets yanked.  I can not imagine.

C-R

I have to defend him a bit - Although he was pissed about it - When I said something - They did stop immediately - So a total of 4 of the 31 miles were paced.  Although disappointed - I am not mad at him and do not hold ill feelings.  His action was not directed at me negatively - Just trying to help himself.  I think he was in the wrong - But he probably had planned mentally for company for the last 10 miles and so it made the last 10k tough for him.  Where it brought my racing spirit into high gear - So I was pulled along lap 1-4 trying to race and beat him ( My eyes were focussed on him the whole way) - He was an excellent pacer for me.  He motivated me to take more pain the last lap than I would have.

Again - Pacing is wrong - But he stopped as soon as I said something - So I am leaving it at that.

I get it but remember I am a serious golfer and any cheating is offensive even if called and stopped. It dis-honors the entire crew. For him to even try just is a kick in the nuts to everyone doing it the right way. Glad you called him on it.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

DoppleBock

I looked a bit further and he manages a running store - Does personal coaching and leads training runs ... so he knew better.

I do not take golf seriously - I try and play by the rules, although I never have read the whole rule book.

If I were in a tournament - I may get called on something due to not knowing.  I mainly play by all the rules because I like to know what my real score is.  Sometimes I chose to do things that negatively impact my score - Just because I want to re-tee (hitting 3)  instead of dropping where I entered a marked hazzard - But my score (As high as it gets) is legit.

The crowd I play with - I do not get upset at "Mulligans" or fluffing or the like - By the end of the round I may have the highest score on the card - But not in reality - It just doesn't matter when you golf 5 times a year.  I like to golf - drink beer - golf a little more - drink more beer - start golfing poorly - continue to drink beer.

I get it but remember I am a serious golfer and any cheating is offensive even if called and stopped. It dis-honors the entire crew. For him to even try just is a kick in the nuts to everyone doing it the right way. Glad you called him on it.

DoppleBock

So when I get really drunk and run over your golf ball with the cart sinking it deep into the ground - What you gonna do ... huh, tough guy? 

Maybe you can help with a rule - It happens every so often that I hit a really high approach shot and the green is so wet / soft the ball buries into the green.  Do I:

1)  Take out a sand wedge and take 8-12 inches of green out

2)  Have to take a penalty to un-burry the sucker as an unplayable ball

3)  Get a free drop

4)  Something else?

DoppleBock

Maybe we need a golf outing - 18 holes of the "Miller" open. 

We used to play that anyone that does not win the hole has to drink a beer before the next tee shot.   So if CR birdies and we all don't ... 3 of us would be slamming a beer.

CR could of course drink beer at any time for the fun of it - But if you drink a beer when you do not have to - It does not count for a beer you have to drink for losing a hole.

If all 4 people tie - All 4 people have to drink.

If 2 or 3 people tie for winning the hole - Only the loser(s) have to drink.

Usually you need 2-cases to play this way ... Oh to be in my 20s again!

Hawt and sexy

Dude, all I know about golf is you can't drive a cart and the people wear funny pants. Oh, and that club in Augusta won't let the Tiger in. Honestly, the only time I have been on a golf course was for cross country meets.

I'm touching your pants.

C-R

Ok. This post now requires a serious answer and as I am off the Germany in Epcot to start my beer run (yeah the weight loss is screwed) I will answer later but I like where this is going. Hell it may need its own thread.

Oh and Willa. Tiger is not allowed to be a full member as a current touring pro. Once his competitve days are done, they will give him full membership. The only people they haven't accepted are ladies.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

Maybe you can help with a rule - It happens every so often that I hit a really high approach shot and the green is so wet / soft the ball buries into the green.  Do I:

1)  Take out a sand wedge and take 8-12 inches of green out

2)  Have to take a penalty to un-burry the sucker as an unplayable ball

3)  Get a free drop

4)  Something else?

USGA Rule 25-2: Embedded Ball

A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. “Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

Of course I did not know this rule - But this is what I have done when it happens - It always seemed the most reasonable answer ... But I was unsure if it was the right answer. 

USGA Rule 25-2: Embedded Ball

A ball embedded in its own pitch-mark in the ground in any closely mown area through the green may be lifted, cleaned and dropped, without penalty, as near as possible to the spot where it lay but not nearer the hole. The ball when dropped must first strike a part of the course through the green. “Closely mown area” means any area of the course, including paths through the rough, cut to fairway height or less.

DoppleBock

Don't you have a race coming up ... guzzling beer is not going to help you go faster ... 

Feeling the growl again

Note to self....beware of golf with DB....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I am actually one of the easiest people to play golf with ... I do not have any pet peeves - I do not play slow - I smile and enjoy every golf outing no matter how good or bad I play.  I can play with any level and still have fun.  I would not run over the golf ball of a scratch golfer - But after a bunch of beers with a 30 handicap - They would think it was funny.

Note to self....beware of golf with DB....

C-R

Free drop is the correct answer unless you want to piss off the green super and dig it out with a lob wedge. Heh. Not that I've ever done anything like that.

indeed do have a race but one or two beers are ok. I'm not in race shape. Just want to requalify.

oh and we can play speed golf. Score and time added together. I may be able to negate you fast people. Plus we can make it interesting by adding beer holes every four (high score drinks one during next hole)