3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Okay, I'm under pressure to post. 

I'm in for the 1-mile challenge.  I'll do my initial time trial on Saturday.  Last time I ran an all-out mile it was in 2010 and I ran 5:53 but doubt I can match that at the moment.  I didn't think I was fit back then, I am even less fit now. I don't have much opportunity to train specifically as my weekday runs are commuting miles with a rucksack, but I'll throw some faster stuff in to one of those.

Sarah should probably join in but she's stubborn and has been a bit injured.  However she doesn't really know what running hard is, so it would be a good opportunity for her to find out.

Feeling the growl again

Okay, I'm under pressure to post. 

I'm in for the 1-mile challenge.  I'll do my initial time trial on Saturday.  Last time I ran an all-out mile it was in 2010 and I ran 5:53 but doubt I can match that at the moment.  I didn't think I was fit back then, I am even less fit now. I don't have much opportunity to train specifically as my weekday runs are commuting miles with a rucksack, but I'll throw some faster stuff in to one of those.

Sarah should probably join in but she's stubborn and has been a bit injured.  However she doesn't really know what running hard is, so it would be a good opportunity for her to find out.

Welcome to the Hurtlocker, honu.  Glad to have you aboard.

Regarding the bolded section:  Nothing like calling out your wife in public to show some nerve.  Awesome.  Be careful, I get the impression she is pretty scrappy.

However I will admit that it has been a long time since I knew what running hard was, at least in the context of what "hard" is required to run a mile.  I look forward to the pain.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

I'm in. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

C-R

However she doesn't really know what running hard is, so it would be a good opportunity for her to find out.

Now that is a Hurtlocker post. Calling out the missus. Equal parts ballsy and insane. Love it and you sir should post more in here.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

And now I'm regretting encouraging "honu" to post.  I'm sure he'll be back with more wisdom later. 

It's worse that he's probably right in his comments, depending on your definition of hard.  I back off when it comes to trying to run hard in a speed sense (no puking, no real gasping, no going for jelly legs, no dry heaving, just wussing out)...and the turtle can definitely whip me over shorter distances even when he's running half the bloody miles I do.  On the other hand, if hard is running  longer at a steady pace, then maybe I'm the one who comes out on top.

I still don't know if I'm in though.  I half want to be.  However I'm so unfit right now that I reckon I'd struggle to run a 7:40 all-out mile (MTA: I've not been logging lap paces but the only runs where I can check that are the end of my run yesterday and today, and it seems the last mile of a 9.7 and 7.7 miler were about 7:50 pace...so maybe a bit faster in an all-out mile, but maybe not, who knows).  Theoretically I could have a showdown with the turtle and see who can take a bigger percentage off their mile time now v their time in a few weeks...but I have a 30 miler to struggle through so my training might not be too helpful.

He should be careful though, when we run together I run behind, and I'm pretty sure I can get a good kick in to the back of his knees.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

I still don't know if I'm in though.  I half want to be.  However I'm so unfit right now that I reckon I'd struggle to run a 7:40 all-out mile (MTA: I've not been logging lap paces but the only runs where I can check that are the end of my run yesterday and today, and it seems the last mile of a 9.7 and 7.7 miler were about 7:50 pace...so maybe a bit faster in an all-out mile, but maybe not, who knows).  Theoretically I could have a showdown with the turtle and see who can take a bigger percentage off their mile time now v their time in a few weeks...but I have a 30 miler to struggle through so my training might not be too helpful.

He should be careful though, when we run together I run behind, and I'm pretty sure I can get a good kick in to the back of his knees.

Well if you're going to crutch on fitness as an excuse, I'm going to go ahead and put you on the list. Wink

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I still don't know if I'm in though.  I half want to be.  However I'm so unfit right now ........ blah blah blah blah blah..... blah blah blah....

I am a fat out of shape old man and I am in.  You're in.

Not at it at all. 

Hey, hey, hey.  Since when were you all siding with the new boy?!

Fitness isn't the only excuse, I'm still not totally right from this pelvis thing and my groin is mildly niggled.  Put me down though.  You can always beat me up and stop talking to me when I chicken out.

MrFinn.  Your outlook on how to join in with this was going to be how I approached it.  Not the major focus, but a good measurement of progress.  I guess that really means I ought to be in. 

If I'm totally honest right now though I have crap all idea how to run an all-out mile.  I'm also scared of trying to do it and seeing how shit I am.  The 30 miler is at the other end of the spectrum, but that's eating away at my guilt-ridden guts too.  MTA: and I mean I'm still scared of the 30 miler, just that it's the other end of the "types of hard running" spectrum for me.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

I am a fat out of shape old man and I am in.  You're in.

I'm with Darth tater on this one. 

Welcome to the insanity of the mile.

For what it's worth, I wonder too if I can't push some more even when I run hard. What I learned from giving it all in the marathon is that you need to blow up once or twice to find the edge. Of course, once you find it and improve some, it move on you but that feeling is still there. I may need to try this on my 5k tomorrow. 5k's scare me. The mile scares me too. But in a good way.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

I think I still need to push over the edge...but I need to perceive that as a success and not a failure (because running things wrongly and going over the edge, or finding the edge is closer than you hoped would make me feel like a failure). 

On the running harder thing, I guess one worry is that maybe I do push hard, but my hard is so shit that it's not hard really.  I'm just too afraid to admit to myself that I don't have more to give?!  I just back off because I'm hitting where I don't want to be too soon.  Or maybe I'm just too afraid to keep pushing because I don't want to find out how bad it'll feel (even if it'll make me feel good long-term...hell I don't even get drunk because I don't want to feel ill or vomit, and getting drunk is fun, right).  All this blathering is making me feel like I'm in some agony aunt column and also confirming a theme in my life of being too afraid to try.

Do you have a time goal for the 5k, C-R?  Or is it an effort/edge-finding goal?

C-R

My goal is sub 20 for the season. Right now, that is a stretch (no speed work and the whole fat thing) but my plan tomorrow is to throw everything I have at it and see where I can go. One of these fast guys in here mentioned that you run hard until it hurts and then you run harder in these short races. It really is mind over matter for me. So I will run hard and then push it. If I blow up (puke, fall, poo myself, etc.) I will know the feeling of the line. As my fitness improves, I can use that next time. And a blow up isn't a failure for me if I have a reason and plan.

The mile scares me too.

What!?  You didn't seem too scared when there four beers lined up on the table ahead of a mile.  IMO, a hard straight effort for a mile is lot easier than the stupidity of that other mile event.

Hops, you just need to tell yourself your in and be commited.  Your talking yourself out of it way too easily.

Feeling the growl again

I think I still need to push over the edge...but I need to perceive that as a success and not a failure (because running things wrongly and going over the edge, or finding the edge is closer than you hoped would make me feel like a failure). 

The only competition in the mile challenge is with yourself.  Take it as seriously or non-seriously as you want.  It's pretty hard NOT to improve in this one.

Regarding working hard, the thing about the short races is you can't really hurt yourself (run hard) if you are not conditioned for it.  Unless you have the fast twitch trained and the anaerobic tolerance your body will simply shut down early and you won't find those higher gears that really hurt.  I remember a particular 5K in January or February of 2006, I ran 16:01 with what may still be the fastest final lap I've ever run in a 5K.  I still got out-kicked and beaten, and I was furious.  I gave it all I had at the time, but 10 minutes later I felt like I could go out and run the same race all over again right then.  However a couple months later when I had rounded into shape, been hitting good speed workouts, I was able to absolutely and utterly destroy myself on the track.  I was tired for days.  Weakness or fear of running hard had nothing to do with the difference, your body has to be able to absorb the punishment to take you to that level.

September weather has to be  better than July/August,  So even if we do nothing special that should help if we don't overcook ourselves

On the running harder thing, I guess one worry is that maybe I do push hard, but my hard is so shit that it's not hard really.  I'm just too afraid to admit to myself that I don't have more to give?!  I just back off because I'm hitting where I don't want to be too soon.  Or maybe I'm just too afraid to keep pushing because I don't want to find out how bad it'll feel ...

While I'm intellectually open to the idea of finding the line by dancing on the wrong side of it, I've never been able to actually execute on it.  Part of it is probably that, like you, I back off early when I extrapolate out and realize I'm gonna crater at that pace.  But I think a bigger part is that I've always had some race goal other than deliberately dancing on the wrong side of the line, come what may.  I.e., you can't consider a crash-n-burn to be a failure if your goal was to crash-n-burn.

And there's always that chance that you misjudged where your fitness was, and you surprise yourself with an awesome performance.  FAILURE!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau