3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

The leg held up ... warm up helped.  Went out too fast again, but not as bad.  Didn't hit my goal, but came close.

6:19

Outstanding.  

My hip will likely hate me for it, but I'll probably try it the middle of the week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Outstanding.  

My hip will likely hate me for it, but I'll probably try it the middle of the week.

Kick some ass. Heh.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

I found a good trail within running distance from my Lexington apartment today that is marked every .25 mile. I hit the first mile pretty hard and I think it was about 7:30, but I didn't look too closely. I was about 5 in at the time. I will get my opening mark either tomorrow or next weekend. I'm a bit sore to do it in any meaningful way today.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

The leg held up ... warm up helped.  Went out too fast again, but not as bad.  Didn't hit my goal, but came close.

6:19

Bloody hell.  Nice stuff.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Well I was sick since Friday, but when the coach announced the Mile workout, I had to do it, knowing I wont come close to my previous time. But surprisingly ran a whole second faster at 6:47 on a dirt track, last one was on an asphalt track.  Was fully expecting a number starting with 7.  Spent 30 minutes after the run coughing up my lungs. First 2 laps felt easy (my lack of running recently may have meant fresh legs), but died horribly on the last lap, splits something like 1:35, 1:42, 1:43, 1:47, I know I can hold that 1:35 pace or close to it if I was healthy, will try again in 2 weeks.

Feeling the growl again

Well I was sick since Friday, but when the coach announced the Mile workout, I had to do it, knowing I wont come close to my previous time. But surprisingly ran a whole second faster at 6:47 on a dirt track, last one was on an asphalt track.  Was fully expecting a number starting with 7.  Spent 30 minutes after the run coughing up my lungs. First 2 laps felt easy (my lack of running recently may have meant fresh legs), but died horribly on the last lap, splits something like 1:35, 1:42, 1:43, 1:47, I know I can hold that 1:35 pace or close to it if I was healthy, will try again in 2 weeks.

Outstanding.

I was going to try yesterday, but the wind was bad so there was no point in it.  Today is out as I did another hard workout instead, so that leaves this weekend.  If it does not get done this weekend I will be into serious taper so it won't get done for several weeks.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm hoping to get to get mine done Saturday also or it likely won't get done for a while.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

I will be into serious taper so it won't get done for several weeks.

Serious question ... Wouldn't taper be a good time to do it?  When I did mine last weekend I did not notice that I needed a bunch of recovery time, and I'm pretty sure that I ran it hard.  I'm talking at least a week or so prior to your race, not right before it.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Serious question ... Wouldn't taper be a good time to do it?  When I did mine last weekend I did not notice that I needed a bunch of recovery time, and I'm pretty sure that I ran it hard.  I'm talking at least a week or so prior to your race, not right before it.

If I were not becoming such an old fogie, yes.  But I have some concern about aggravating the hip/nerve issues so close to the 50-miler.  And I am willing to do it as late as Sunday (6 days out), it just seems awfully risky to be racing something that hard when I'm not used to it any closer in than that.

I may get to it yet today (I took a vacation day).  However my lower back has already been iffy and I don't think the 3 hours of digging potatoes I just did helped it any.  So we'll see how it feels in a few hours.

Ostrich runner

I pulled in my almost never used inversion table from the garage last week. I think it's helping some with my posture and some back stiffness issues I've been having. 

Anyway, I'm off to do the initial trial now. 

Feeling the growl again

I pulled in my almost never used inversion table from the garage last week. I think it's helping some with my posture and some back stiffness issues I've been having. 

Anyway, I'm off to do the initial trial now. 

I could use one of those right now.  My back barely survived the potato digging, the bending over to cement in new crawlspace vents did it in.  I am on my third "muscle relaxant"  (aka drink) as a result.  It is unlikely I will be running anything tonight, much less an all-out mile.

I have a crack-of-dawn run with C-R in the AM, perhaps I will get out for a few miles to do this tomorrow afternoon.

Ostrich runner

7:33. About where I thought I was last time I ran that 1 mile stretch of trail pretty hard, but I'm decidedly less fresh today. Happens when you go from 4 miles to 36 in a week. 25 trail and 11 on the road with the stroller. I never felt like I was going very fast, but on the 2nd 800m I fell apart the way I did as a kid on the track. That is, my legs were fine, but my lungs, arms, shoulders, and head were all over the place. The first 800 was 30 seconds slower than the first. There isn't much elevation change on the trail, just some gradual humps both directions. It is a mountain bike trail, so there are some little 3 feet high whoops that really bleed off momentum.

C-R

I've got a few weeks left. Let's see how much damage I've done.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Did my time trial at the high school track today. The track surface there wasn't nearly as nice as the track surface at the Southport High School. It was a little softer than asphalt, but I didn't notice a huge difference.

Anyway, my first attempt I went out way too fast and my lungs were knotted up after two laps and I had to abort. No way I was going to be able to go two more laps. Waited 15 minutes for my breathing and heart rate to return to normal and gave it another go.

Lap 1: 1:46.56

Lap 2: 1:47.16

Lap 3: 1:49.10

Lap 4: 1:44.86

1 mile time = 7:08

Another two months and I think I can get it under 7.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.