3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

I debated whether or not to try this since I'm not exactly Mr. Speedy. Since I think my limiting factor is my fitness I figured it would make a good fitness test. I didn't do as bad as I thought I would, but it's not exactly where I'd like to be either.

My mile according to Garmin was 7:25. 

I'm not sure what to set as my goal. How much can I really expect my mile time to go down doing just aerobic type runs in 5 weeks?

Hard to say.  Simply getting one hard one under your belt is worth a few seconds upon repeat.  If you do NOTHING, say 10-15sec?  Perhaps more if you get some sprints etc in there?

MTA:  I'd say at least 7:19, you know, so it's faster than TeaOlive.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Since that did not feel like death, I am going to set 6:30 as the goal for September, 5 sec per lap - doable right?

Feeling the growl again

Since that did not feel like death, I am going to set 6:30 as the goal for September, 5 sec per lap - doable right?

Aggressive.  I like it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

I've been thinking about where to do this damn thing since I do not have access to a track or a nice flat mile stretch in the neighborhood.  Then I remembered that there is a paved rail trail nearby.  Better yet, the Lehigh Valley Marathon runs this route and there are mile markers painted on the asphalt, so I will use those markers to measure out the mile.  Should be able to do this during the upcoming weekend.

Not at it at all. 

Just got the splits, 1:40, 1:45, 1:42, 1:41( 440 yd track, so 4 laps to a mile), know that there is a low hanging 4-5 sec in that second and third laps
            C-R

Holy friggin hell. What a lung burner. 5:53. 2nd workout of the day. Not what I wanted but after battling 3 days of GI issues, I'll take it and it allows me to sandbag some.

Goal - WTFK but I'll shoot for 5:30. Yeah it's only a 6.5% improvement but everyone knows I sandbag. Wink

Oh and this

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

So C-R runs the fastest baseline so far and also sets the largest #sec improvement go.  Nice.

I'm not sure when I will run mine yet.  I should probably get a few days of running in after such a layoff before I go and fry myself on the track and rip something loose.  Perhaps over the weekend.

MTA:  If I can't set a 4:50 baseline, I need to punch myself in the throat.

Feeling the growl again

everyone knows I sandbag. Wink

Only when you are drinking.... Wink

So C-R runs the fastest baseline so far and also sets the largest #sec improvement go.  Nice.

Very nice.

And good goals and baselines by TeaOlive and whodat too.  I agree on at least 7:19 for whodat..I think 7:10....but that's because it's 15s off and that seems reasonable with building fitness.   I also think TeaOlive would destroy a flat mile with no turns, would be interesting to see what that comes out as when you find a chance to run one (as a bonus mile to the fall challenge).

In the short-term I've opened my log.  It probably won't stay, and it's not full of much detail about running just general crap, or many splits, or even the mile as a separate run...but it's open.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

MTA:  I'd say at least 7:19, you know, so it's faster than TeaOlive.  Smile

Hey, I don't have a problem with Tea being faster than me. She can run a 50 mile ultra. That's freaking awesome. Wink

With that being said, since this is the Hurtlocker and rule # 2 says make the goal a hard one, I'm going to shoot for 7:05.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

C-R

With that being said, since this is the Hurtlocker and rule # 2 says make the goal a hard one, I'm going to shoot for 7:05.

Hell yes!

Tater - get your carbs on a track and have at it.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

Missed this first time around. BIG LIKE!

DoppleBock

I am scared

I will try on Sunday morning

My recent 5k would predict 5:23 ~ With absolutely no leg speed I am predicting a 1600 with a mile conversion of 5:4x

Again my 2nd final run will not be done unitl the end of Sept - By 9/30

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I THINK I'm in for this. I've never done a mile so this ought to be interesting. I'm going to put 6:30  for my goal. I have a tempo run on Friday and a 22 miler on Sunday so I'm hoping to get it done by Tuesday/Wed.  If I'm up for it tonight I may do it before my 15 mile run 

MTA: I doubt I'll try it tonight. I've been having problems with loosing my breath (feels like a skipped heart beat but with my breath instead) so not even sure I'll get my 15 miles in let alone a mile time trial

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I'd like to give this a shot, but I'm not willing to run the baseline until later in August (post-injury concerns)

I'm considering making this a monthly effort to track fitness / speed.