3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

I'd like to give this a shot, but I'm not willing to run the baseline until later in August (post-injury concerns)

I'm considering making this a monthly effort to track fitness / speed.

Close enough.  Smile

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MTA:  If I can't set a 4:50 baseline, I need to punch myself in the throat.

4:50...says the man that claims to have no speed.

I've been on the fence whether I should partake in this stupidity.  I don't think fast stuff is good for the legs yet but I have to try sometime.  I'm with pfetro and think I'll give a go at later in the month.  I want to get through another week to see how things are progressing.  I thought about asking if I could do an "elliptical" mile but I figured I'd get booted out of the Hurtlocker.

Feeling the growl again

4:50...says the man that claims to have no speed.

I've been on the fence whether I should partake in this stupidity.  I don't think fast stuff is good for the legs yet but I have to try sometime.  I'm with pfetro and think I'll give a go at later in the month.  I want to get through another week to see how things are progressing.  I thought about asking if I could do an "elliptical" mile but I figured I'd get booted out of the Hurtlocker.

Heh, well, I set hard goals.  A lifetime PR of 4:34 run withing the same season as all my longer PRs is pretty pathetic.

Oh, and I found you an "elliptical" to keep the pressure off those injured joints.  I'm curious how one would evaluate improvement however.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

DoppleBock

So do late August and do what I am doing and commit to test #2 by September 30th 

I'd like to give this a shot, but I'm not willing to run the baseline until later in August (post-injury concerns)

I'm considering making this a monthly effort to track fitness / speed.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Ostrich runner

I won't set my baseline for a bit until I shake some more rust off. Ultimately, I'll be doing a trail mile on a course I make. I hate the track.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

So do late August and do what I am doing and commit to test #2 by September 30th 

A good plan DB.  Of course I won't be coming anywhere close to Spaniel's 4:50 no matter how long I wait.

In honour of the 1-mile challenge I tagged 3 tempo miles (or something like tempo) to the end of my run today.  I will try to do something next week that is closer to speed (but potentially just fartlek or strides-although that alone would be a step forward for me).  The turtle is using this challenge as a way of saying "I told you so" about my lack of speed despite okay mileage...I guess that means I need to step up and do something about it (but only in moderation for now while I try to get this injury under control and the 30 miler run).

I got told off today by a grumpy osteopath for having chafing, black toe nails and for not taking enough days off...apparently you should only run 25 mpw and take at least 2 days off a week (1 as a total rest from anything).  I wanted to tell her about DB and the rest of you guys and gals in here, but decided she'd just be angrier. 

It's cool to see rocken, beef, pfetro et al signing up!  Good stuff!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

Wow. Wakeup. 4:56:86. 71.1-77.2-75.9-72.4 Weird. First lap did not even feel fast. Then at 450m my chest tightened up and I was afraid I was done. After a lap of hell things improved and drove well to the finish. Not quite as fast as I wanted but not bad either. Good that I did not just crash and slow down. So the goal is 4:48.

The first workout towards mile training, 5 miles at not too easy pace, then 4 X 200 in 42-44 seconds (just under all out sprint pace for me), with a 100m walking rest. Was planning to run 6 of these, Felt tightness in abductor and femoris muscles, in the third and fourth repeats, probably because I've never run at this pace before. Next time will take a longer rest and do more repeats.

Feeling the growl again

Nice work. Take as much rest as you need, it doesn't matter.

The first workout towards mile training, 5 miles at not too easy pace, then 4 X 200 in 42-44 seconds (just under all out sprint pace for me), with a 100m walking rest. Was planning to run 6 of these, Felt tightness in abductor and femoris muscles, in the third and fourth repeats, probably because I've never run at this pace before. Next time will take a longer rest and do more repeats.

DoppleBock

I didn't feel like doing a mile TT today - 50k warmup might have been a bit too much

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Okay, there.  I went to the track.

I would say that all of the turn arounds on my first run must have confused my garmin or something.

Time on the track 7:38 Confused  

I'll keep the same goal of 7:20.

steph  

I'm gonna have to bail on this self-challenge.  I can still feel slight hints in my right quad of the strain from June, and I can't justify risking re-injury.  Maybe after Richmond ...

I'd really like to know what I could do a hard mile in, too. Angry

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

an amazing likeness

I'm in.

What the hey. Let's see what the earnest rotund little milk bottle can do.

Laid down the baseline tonight:  6:37.15, so let's call it 6:38.

Problem is...going in I expected my target goal would be 6:40. 

I'll throw out...gulp...6:33 as goal.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Today's workout 5 x 600, 2:30, 2:28, 2:25, 2:28, 2:26.