3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Feeling the growl again

7X400 on 2min recovery, on roads by GPS.  All 74-75sec except 2nd and 6th 70sec.  Damn slow for that much recovery but I was pretty happy that I got through it without massive tightness and soreness...I was in pretty rough shape just last night and not sure I'd be able to do much today so I'll take what I can get.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

7X400 on 2min recovery, on roads by GPS.  All 74-75sec except 2nd and 6th 70sec.  Damn slow for that much recovery but I was pretty happy that I got through it without massive tightness and soreness...I was in pretty rough shape just last night and not sure I'd be able to do much today so I'll take what I can get.

I had 5x600 on 2 minute recovery tonight but not even close to that speed!  Nice workout considering you were in pretty rough shape last night (so you say)

Anyway I did my last mile of my workout tonight as a time trial. 6:33:16   Kind of wished I was on a track with someone timing me I think I might have done better since I kept looking at my watch. 

Not sure what to put  as my goal, will have to think about it tonight and update this tomorrow.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Feeling the growl again

(so you say)

Ha.  Well, nothing 3 advil and some rum didn't cure by morning.  I should know better than to whine here.  We used to do 20-25X400 on ONE minute recovery in college, at that speed...long ways to go.

6:33 is absolutely solid.  Great run.  And I agree, the track is always faster...even my quarters today felt harder than running the same speed on the track last week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

We used to do 20-25X400 on ONE minute recovery in college, at that speed...long ways to go.

6:33 is absolutely solid.  Great run.  And I agree, the track is always faster...even my quarters today felt harder than running the same speed on the track last week.

DAMN! 

The road I did it on is pretty busy but my husband reminded me there's a 800 meter  dirt track around the soccer fields around my house. I think I'll do my next month time trial there. Does that matter ?  Make my goal 6:20. I think that's reasonable 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

an amazing likeness

(raises hand)...uhh, point of procedure question....is everyone doing this with a flying start, or standing?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

(raises hand)...uhh, point of procedure question....is everyone doing this with a flying start, or standing?

Don't make me punch you in the throat.

Typically a race or time trial is run from a standing start.  If anyone did differently...well...I don't care, what's important it to be as consistent as possible.

I even stopped my workout. Reset Garmin and waited a minute or two before starting my 1 mile trial.  Now if I had wings I might have tried the flying start

Mine was a club race (monthly workout to measure improvement), so not really a TT, from a standing start. Only other difference was we did a few drills before the race, which I'd normally not do before a typical race.

Standing start trying to work out when would be the best time to start running based on the people with buggies, bikes and small children ahead (and before the people with those things behind me).

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Warmed up one mile.  Stopped.   Reset garmin.   Assessed  the walkers.  Took off Wink

steph  

Prince of Fatness

Done.  6:28.  it wasn't that hot because a storm went through an hour before I ran, but it was humid as hell and my feet were pretty soaked by the time that I was done due to the wet pavement.  The rest of me was drenched in sweat.

The "track" was a paved rail trail.  Very flat and also straight.  I consider it a fast stretch.  I scoped it out over the weekend and there was a tree down on the path, so I was worried that I would not be able to use the marathon mile markers painted on the path.  But the tree has been cleared so I was good to go.  I actually used the markers for the half.

Anyway, I did a 3 mile warmup then off I went.  I was worried about running conservatively so I went out fast, figured that would get my heart rate up as well.  I had planned on backing off about 20 seconds or so in but I had a hard time doing that for some reason.  Because of that the last quarter was about hanging on and surviving.  I am sure that I slowed but not too badly.  I was thinking that I could run around 6:30 so all in all I think that this is a good representation of where I am right now.  Definitely don't see this as sandbagging.

That said, a month from now it should be cooler, I should be lighter, and I have the experience of running one of these things.  Put me down for goal of 6:15.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

2 minute recovery, was that walking?

The sports chiro that I am seeing wants me to do some faster running, nothing sustained, to stretch things out.  I think that will fit in nicely with this challenge.

I like to do sets by time.  How does 5 x 45 seconds sound?  Untimed recoveries, just when I feel like doing the next one have at it.  I figure I should be able to cover 250 yards or so in 45 seconds.  Is that a good place to start?

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

2 minute recovery, was that walking?

The sports chiro that I am seeing wants me to do some faster running, nothing sustained, to stretch things out.  I think that will fit in nicely with this challenge.

I like to do sets by time.  How does 5 x 45 seconds sound?  Untimed recoveries, just when I feel like doing the next one have at it.  I figure I should be able to cover 250 yards or so in 45 seconds.  Is that a good place to start?

Recovery for me is a very, very slow jog.  No idea what pace, just a shuffle to keep the blood flowing.

5X45sec is a fine place to start.  Try a little faster each one, fast but comfortable.  That's a good distance to stretch things out but not accumulate too much fatigue and start straining at things.  Given your injury status I think this is a wise strategy.

Prince of Fatness

5X45sec is a fine place to start.  Try a little faster each one, fast but comfortable.  That's a good distance to stretch things out but not accumulate too much fatigue and start straining at things.  Given your injury status I think this is a wise strategy.

This is where I will start then, thanks.  Probably Monday.  I may go with the shuffle for recovery as well.  I like the idea of keeping moving a bit.

Not at it at all. 

DoppleBock

It looks more and more like I might be a no go ... Since I could not do test #2 until end of September - I will give myself one more week to try and fit in test # 1

This 43 YO body is held together with bubble gun, duct tape and tin wire ~ I am a bit scared to put it through anything faster than 5k pace.  I did do 4x1 mile on TM Wednesday (5 minute recoveries)

5:49

5:46

5:46

5:39

But that is TM and I was a bit nervous of the bondo coming loose on my Hamstring

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !