3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Fall 1-Mile Challenge (Read 1148 times)

Purdey

Self anointed title

We don't have a track

Iffley road has produced some good times.  Just saying.

Brian is a geek.  I am not bright enough to be a geek.  You all may well be geeks, but I like you and see no issue with having geeky internet "friends".

Brian is also a cheeky arsehole who is getting too fit for my liking. 

Iffley Rd track requires me to be a member of OUAC...I have asked about it (and can join based on being a member of staff and alumnus)...but didn't commit to joining but maybe I will (I won't train with them though, just use the track when it's not in use for real sessions).  

Why use a track when I can use a windy towpath with walkers, dogs, cyclists, winding bends and occasional bridges? Hmm.  I think the answer here is a I look less of a numpty if I'm running slowly when trying to do a speedier session.

Iffley Rd has indeed produced some good (and historic) times.  I will not produce such good times.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

DoppleBock

I have the luxury of having a good high school track within 2 miles of my house - Always open for use ... well except when the have JV or Highschool football games on the field.  The most people I saw (once) was 7 - they were were a family out for a walk and the kids messed around for 5 minutes.  The most I have had to run with is 2 and no one has even stayed more than 20 minutes.

There are a few faster runners that come and seem mad to see one other person on the track - We are a spoiled lot.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

Another real interval workout, 8X400 on 90sec rest.  Managed to run it right this time, starting in 73 and working down to 71 with 68 at the end.  Still could not break 31sec for 200m sprints but was able to do it more than once and it felt easier to run 31.1 somehow than last week.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Finally got around to my time trial - 1600m in 5:28

I'll shoot for a goal of sub 5:10

I'm not sure how to get me to do intervals?!

Well, you all did something because I did something resembling a small and short interval session today (after doing something similar last week).   Hmmm.

How is everyone else getting on? 

I'm trying to work out when to run the "real" mile.  We're on holiday for 2 weeks from Saturday and we'll be somewhere hilly and beautiful, but not ideal for mile time trials or for easy surfaces to do speedy stuff on.  It will be 2 weeks of bimbling, climbing, walking and maybe kayaking...not ideal...but something I'll enjoy.  I don't think 30 miles will be run, but if it is it will be rather hilly and might need to include some walking on the ups and the technical downs.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

How is everyone else getting on? 

Eh.  Apparently if I sleep until 9am I feel great and can run awesome workouts.  Too bad that happens once every 3 months.

I've been getting at least one solid speed workout per week.  My overall mileage kinda sucks though.  I have been forcing myself to slow down my easy pace a couple more gears, and not allowing myself to double or run longer runs if I feel tired.  I am hoping that in the long term these are good decisions.  Real focus on just trying to hit workouts well and do what I can in between.

Doin' what I can do right now.  I am about to have 3 weeks of travel over 2 months....it is going to take some dedication to keep up with the running.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

I'm averaging being sick 50% of the time right now. The last week has been a washout. I have realized that I don't have the dedication to run through sickness and I don't have the dedication to run without a race entry on the horizon. I have a few days on the trail coming up in a couple weeks, and I'm hoping it re-centers me. I think I will probably be an idiot and enter Tecumseh again, then hopefully I will run with the knowledge that if I don't, I will intentionally injure myself during that race so as to not make an ass of myself. Or something. Well, the logic works in my head anyway.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Tried a 2 X 1500 TT yesterday, but had to bail at 1.5 miles as my hip flexor started bothering me (sustained a minor strain at the relay this past weekend).  Did the first 1500 in 6:21 (6:40 for the mile), and the next .5 miles quite a bit slower at 7:05 pace.  Looks like a 6:30 is quite possible in a week when I'll try again (mile split of a 3K run, as I run better with a group and they'll be running a 3K next week).

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I'm planning on running a HM on Sept 22 and was thinking about doing my TT on Sept 18. I'm thinking that should be plenty of time for me to recover and be ready for the race. Or should I wait until after the half? If I wait I probably wouldn't do the TT until maybe Oct 2.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

I am broke right now as often I am after a 24 hour race.  Funny things is the issues are because of playing 2 hours of volleyball on Sunday with a body that was not fully recovered.  Right achillies tendon and left IT Band are very angry since.

DB rule of thumb - You do not run speed work with an angry achillies tendon.

Hopefully it gets better soon as I will not make progress on my original time without some speed work.

Still targeting weekend of 10/6-7, but maybe as late as 10/9 for 2nd mile.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I am sure other experienced folk will chime in later, but I did a mile workout on Wednesday before a Sunday marathon a couple of years ago without needing any additional recovery, felt great to run a fastish mile, but I definitely was not pushing very hard on the TT, was a 6/8 effort at best. Had a 7.02 mile as my PR and ran this at 7:28. 

Prince of Fatness

I'm planning on running a HM on Sept 22 and was thinking about doing my TT on Sept 18. I'm thinking that should be plenty of time for me to recover and be ready for the race. Or should I wait until after the half? If I wait I probably wouldn't do the TT until maybe Oct 2.

I'd be inclined to strike while the iron is hot and run the mile before the half.  I was never one to taper all that much for a half.  I also agree with waiting a couple of weeks if you decide to wait until after the half.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

5 x 40 seconds again tonight.  Felt pretty good.  May increase the time next week.

The last two weeks have been 5 x 50 seconds.  I increased recovery from 1:50 to 2:20 and found that I needed the extra time, as I could not get myself to take the reps any slower,

Next week I will try 5 x 60 seconds with 3 minute recovery jogs.  I am thinking that I will need to slow it down some.

I am thinking that I should be able to fit the TT in the last week of this month.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

I am sure other experienced folk will chime in later, but I did a mile workout on Wednesday before a Sunday marathon a couple of years ago without needing any additional recovery, felt great to run a fastish mile, but I definitely was not pushing very hard on the TT, was a 6/8 effort at best. Had a 7.02 mile as my PR and ran this at 7:28. 

Earlier this year, I entered a combo race which was a 1mi + 13.1mi (1/2 Mar) -- the placement was the two times combined. 30 minutes between the two races.

I ran the mile pretty hard -- harder than 5K effort (about 10 sec slower, it turns out, than my opening entry in the 1 mi challenge here).  Then I ran 1 sec off my half marathon PR in the half.  I think the mile effort had an impact -- my quads were sore early in the half and legs were fatigued sooner than I'd normally experience.  The section from 10mi  - 12mi was a harder battle than the pace would call for.  But...the early miles were easier than normal.  I think the mile cost me 30 - 40 seconds or more in the 1/2.

That's a sample of 1.  Big grain of salt need apply.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.