3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Flats (Read 1842 times)

kcam

I put together a comparison of road racing shoe (prompted by Willamona's T6 question).  I've been using the T6's myself from 10K on down.  I use the Banditos or Tarthers for longer than 10K.  I do almost all of my training in a lightweight, neutral shoe nowadays (banditos or Puma FAAS 400's).  Don't know what it means (is 8mm difference from least to most Heel-toe drop significant?).   Anyway here's the data, sorted from least heel to toe drop to most.  (no Nike shoes as I couldn't find any data on them).

Heel-Toe Drop(mm)    Heel/Toe (mm)   Shoe Weight(oz)

13/9 Saucony Grid Type A4 6.3
    4 14/10 Asics Pirhana SP3 4.7
    5 11/6 Mizuno Universe 3 3.6
    6 15/9 Adidas Pro Ekiden 6.3
    6 16/10 Adidas Adizero Rocket 7.0
    7 17/10 Asics HyperSpeed 4 7.2
    8 17/9 Asics Bandito 7.9
    9 18/9 Mizuno Ronin 7.3
    9 18/9 Mizuno Musha 7.8
    9 19/10 Asics DS Racer 7.9
    10 20/10 Asics Tarther 7.2
    11 22/11 Adidas Adizero Adios 7.4
    11 22/11 Adidas Adizero Mana 7.4
    11 22/11 Adidas Adizero Ace

12 20/8 Brooks T6

Hawt and sexy

Thank you for doing this. I use T6s for halfs on down at this point. I was talking about this with a friend today. It gives me an idea about what shoes to try next. But right now, I loves my T6s. I have an old pair of Nike Zoom Streaks, and I would guess the difference in them is about 10mm by comparing them with the T6s.

I wonder what the difference is in the heel drop of trainers? I have gotten obsessed with this since I got my Vibrams. Those Vibram things do something. Don't know if it's good or bad yet.

I'm touching your pants.

The list is awesome!  Thanks for putting it together.  Just the kind of shoe geekery I find both interesting and helpful!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Purdey

Self anointed title

The list is awesome!  Thanks for putting it together.  Just the kind of shoe geekery I find both interesting and helpful!

I KNEW you'd comment on this. Geek.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks...very useful.  With my treadmill puking on me this morning I could spend my energy searching for new racing flats instead of busting it up with a bat.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I KNEW you'd comment on this. Geek.

At least I'm predictable.  Pleb.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

obsessor

Mizuno Wave Universe 3, ------------- 3.6 oz.

(men's size 9)

cool.

Feeling the growl again

Mizuno Wave Universe 3, ------------- 3.6 oz.

(men's size 9)

cool.

I'm really tempted to find a pair to see if I think I could run Boston in them.  The problem with flats is that no store I can find carries enough to be able to compare or to go and expect to see a specific model there. 

I guess I could order them online and if they are too hard for a marathon keep them for shorter races...but $95, DAMN...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

At least I'm predictable.  Pleb.

I love the way you Brits dis one another (assuming "pleb." is short for "plebeian.")

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

How cushy are the T6's?  I know they are a flat, but still, they use various materials that can affect how cushioned they feel.  For example I LOVE the old Adidas Cubato, I have been stringing a pair along for years now but I think last fall was the last marathon for them.  They always felt very soft for how thin/light they were (6ish oz?).  The Adizero line that replaced them used a firmer sole that was way less cushioned, even at the same thickness; I bought a pair (Adizero PR maybe? Same weight as the Cubato) but won't run over 10K in them.

Hawt and sexy

The T6s are cushy enough for me that if I was speedy, I would have no problem doing a marathon in them. But alas, I'm not speedy.

I'm touching your pants.

kcam

The T6's are cushioned enough for me to run long distances (I've run as far as 1/2 marathon in them).  The reason I don't use them for the longer distances anymore is that the toe box is a little lower than what I'm used to.  Result:  blisters.

kcam

Thank you for doing this. I use T6s for halfs on down at this point. I was talking about this with a friend today. It gives me an idea about what shoes to try next. But right now, I loves my T6s. I have an old pair of Nike Zoom Streaks, and I would guess the difference in them is about 10mm by comparing them with the T6s.

I wonder what the difference is in the heel drop of trainers? I have gotten obsessed with this since I got my Vibrams. Those Vibram things do something. Don't know if it's good or bad yet.

Actually, from just a quick survey, it seems that in terms of heel-toe drop there's not much difference from the T6!  I looked at various ASICS and Brooks trainers and the biggest heel-toe drop I saw was 12mm in one of the Brooks models.  Everything else was 10 or 11mm of drop - surprising!  But, the trainers generally had an extra 2mm of sole over the road race shoes listed above.  Typical was like 24mm heel, 14mm toe.  So the T6's are more like lightweight, neutral trainers rather than flats.  A great shoe for someone to begin a transition from the heavy, stiff trainers to being able to run in road-race shoes.

Hawt and sexy

That's good to know.

Now I have tried the Saconys on in the store. Compared to the T6s, the shoes were not as flexible, but I think that was an earlier model so that could have changed. The DSs have an extra little thing going on in the arch that I cannot stand. I kinda want to try a Universe on for size now. My T6s are so comfy that I have accidentally worn them to bed on occasion. Lighter might mean more comfy.

I'm touching your pants.

kcam

That's good to know.

Now I have tried the Saconys on in the store. Compared to the T6s, the shoes were not as flexible, but I think that was an earlier model so that could have changed. The DSs have an extra little thing going on in the arch that I cannot stand. I kinda want to try a Universe on for size now. My T6s are so comfy that I have accidentally worn them to bed on occasion. Lighter might mean more comfy.

Funny you mention that.  I used DS trainers for many years, model after model.  Only within the last year and a half have I switched to using almost exclusively light, neutral shoes.  Last week I forgot my normal shoes and so I had to go to the emergency shoes thrown in the back of my truck.  DS trainer 12's.  I HATED them.  Felt like there was a block of wood or something in the arch.  That must be the stability device?  Weird how I used to love those shoes.  Won't be going back to those.