3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Tornadoes (Read 413 times)

Feeling the growl again

I hope everyone got spared by these storms.  I think C-R was spending some time down in the heart of it so here's hoping it's all OK C-R.

The single tornado warning that I am aware of in our whole state was right over my house.  Literally.  I could not see anything from my house but there they are on TV, parked 3 miles away pointing the camera at my house, showing the clouds rotating over us.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

The worried wife was leaving me messages during my run yesterday. I was in Morgan-Monroe and had fine weather besides the sloppiness.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

We had a tornado warning near my home today.  Nobody was there and I don't think that an actual tornado was sighted.  There are trees down, power outages, etc.  The storm wasn't as bad at my office. 

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

The worried wife was leaving me messages during my run yesterday. I was in Morgan-Monroe and had fine weather besides the sloppiness.

In 2007 I went out on a run when there were just a few scattered gray clouds around, almost completely blue sky and sunny.  First spring in Indiana.  A couple miles in the sirens in Pittsboro started going off.  There was some thunder off to the north, but it didn't look that bad (turns out that cell had just dropped a funnel cloud) so I kept running.  4 miles out a cop car passed me.....asshole was out spotting for an approaching tornado, I later learned, and did not bother to roll down his window and warn me.  5 miles out I hit my turnaround and headed home.

Sirens were going off again, I kept watching west but nothing.  No more then 3-4 minutes passed and I look again, and the whole horizon is black/green and roiling and building towards me with unbelievable speed.  Fortunately this is when I was back in better shape, and I dropped a sub-10 2-mile getting back to my house.  I got in the door literally 5sec before sheets of hail and 70mph straightline winds hit.  I later learned a tornado passed within 2 miles of my house, wrecking a couple barns and crossing my running route under 10min behind me.

So I learned that while in Michigan it takes pretty big storms to spawn tornadoes, in Indiana it's the small pop-up, compact and powerful cells that are really the most likely to drop tornadoes (the cell yesterday was <2miles across).  In the spring I always check the radar before heading out for a run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R

Just getting a chance to check the board. All is well here. The monster went about 10 miles North of us and it's little cousin went 10 miles South. I've been gone long enough to have forgotten how fast and how devastating tornado season is down here. Although it's been a couple of decades since the last F5. I managed to track down all my friends in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. However, many are not as lucky. Thanks for thinking of us.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Having grown up in Louisiana I've dealt with my fair share of hurricanes, including Katrina, but tornadoes scare the heck out of me. At least with a hurricane you know it's coming and have more time to prepare. I was driving from Brownsburg back to Pittsboro when the tornado warning came over the radio covering the part of 74 that I was driving on.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

I was just discussing building a storm shelter with the wife.  C-R, I may be out to take notes on your summer room as that would be what we put on top of it.

C-R

rabutler - tornadoes still scare the shit out of me. I've had one close call in my life and it hit with no warning. It's serious business. You hear a siren assume it's on top of you in the next five minutes.

Come on out Spaniel. I have a measuring tape, camera and likely some good beer. We can design a bunker that even a bat would be proud to call home.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                  "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hawt and sexy

We had a tornado warning here. The manslave went nuts. These PA peeps think an F2 means this shit is serious. Meh.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

We had a tornado warning here. The manslave went nuts. These PA peeps think an F2 means this shit is serious. Meh.

Well ya'll do have trailers out there, don't you?  A stiff fart will knock those over.

Just getting a chance to check the board. All is well here.

Good to know.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hawt and sexy

We do have a few trailers, but not the massive trailer parks. Bit the 'tornados' we get here are nothing compared to home. I have run under a funnel cloud here and was just worried about getting under the bridge before I got drenched.

I'm touching your pants.

The tornado that hit near my hometown in MS was rated an EF-5.  This is a photo of some of the damage.  Smithville MS

And an aerial view.  "Our whole town is just gone." is a quote that sums it up.  Heartbreaking. 

Aerial view of tornado path Smithville MS

Feeling the growl again

DAMN.

The death toll has left me speechless.