3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who needs a hamster wheel (Read 974 times)

So I figured that I'm going to bite the bullet and get a treadmill.  It will be easier to coordinate workout schedules with the DW and allow me to get on a more consistent basis.  I know some of you log lots of miles on those things and have them at home, so I'm going to ask your opinion of what you have and if you would look for anything different.

Based on other thread searches on the main board, I found people to have the following:

Sole F63

Sole F80

NordicTrack A2750 PRO

NordicTrack A2600

NordicTrack 8.0

I need one that goes up to 12 mph.  I don't need too many bells and whistles.  All I care about is that it goes to 12 mph and has the ability for inclines.  I was looking at the Sole F63 as it's a little more economical and some people reported that it goes to 12 mph.  However, when I look at the Sole website, it states that it only goes to 10.  Thoughts???

DoppleBock

I had a Sole F85 - It lasted 1 year - The next 10 months it was down 6 of them waiting for repair etc - I finally convinces them it was a lemon and played the World 24 card and they gave me a TT8.

If I were to buy another TM it would be a Landice L7 - I know people who the husband and wife both run a lot on their Landice and it has 20k+ miles on it.  It has the best warranty around (at least 2 years ago)  the L7 is no frills but a tank - $2,700-$2,800

I know you are looking at a bit less price range - I saved $1,000 over the L7 and it cost be more than that in days I had to take off to get the TM fixed under warranty.

I have decided to only use my TT8 when I have to - I am also a member of YMCA - To make sure it is there when I really need it.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

I own a Sole...F63 I think.  DON'T.  I put ~2500 miles on it Jan 2008 thru July 2010, lubing it like I should, and the deck cracked.  After waiting 2 months for a shipment of new decks to come in (from China, and why do they go through so many decks???) I had it fixed.  <1000 miles on it since, and last night I had to stop because I smelled the faint odor of something burning.  I loosened the belt to lube it again and yup...the deck is cracked AGAIN.  The first one is under warranty, I'm going to push them pretty hard to give me another deck though.

It used to go 12mph.  About a year and a half ago it suddenly stopped going over 11mph -- can't do anything faster than a tempo run on it, and not even that if I'm really in shape.  Calibration was no help.  Their customer service told me that this cannot happen and I am wrong.

The Start button has been giving me fits for a year.  I have missed several workouts when the TM simply would not start.  I asked Customer Service to send me a new button and they refused, saying that other buttons must just be stuck (no dice on that one buddy).

Lately, it will spontaneously jump to 2% incline. 

I could not afford more at the time I bought this.  If I had a do-over I would get a Landice or look patiently for a used commercial model.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

Of course Andy is of normal weight - I do not know how he breaks a deck

I am 200 - 220 - although most my issues were with the electronics of the sole F85

Feeling the growl again

Of course Andy is of normal weight - I do not know how he breaks a deck

I know, right?

IMHO it is heat-related.  Spider cracks under where I run, the belt gets very hot.  Shouldn't do that as I lube it, but I think it just heats up and starts cracking the phenolic surface (they don't go all the way through).  Once one crack forms, it scrapes the lube off the belt and it gets worse in a hurry.  Last week it was FINE.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Given my prior post I feel obligated to provide balanced feedback, as I just got off the phone with Sole Customer service.

Despite being out of warranty, because the deck that failed was only about a year old they are replacing it for free.  I told them of the Start button issue and that I'd reported it last year when I called under warranty, they threw in one of those for free.  I reported the speed problem and that the person I told last year told me that what I reported couldn't happen.  They are sending a new speed sensor for free as well to see if that fixes it.  Also sending lube.  All of this to arrive in 3 days.

I'm disappointed I need to deal with all this, but I must say I cannot fault their customer service either time I have dealt with them, it has been impeccable.

DoppleBock

But the tech people are hit and miss

I have talked to one person and they are not helpful and then the next time you win the prize.  Like I said they have replaced my origianl F85 with a TT8 at not cost.  But the equipment "Uptime" has not met my expectations.

Feeling the growl again

the equipment "Uptime" has not met my expectations.

+1.  It was the tech people that left me hanging for the past year on the button and speed issues....not a tech person I talked to today, just the guy who approves and ships the parts.

To be perfectly honest, it does not surprise me that you killed a Sole with your level of usage.  I think your activities are beyond the design parameters of a $1000-$1500 treadmill.  The only reason I expect to get away with it is that I only use it when I have to....far, far fewer miles per year on it (and in general) than you.

DoppleBock

Although you are right - I was well within their stated specs

+1.  It was the tech people that left me hanging for the past year on the button and speed issues....not a tech person I talked to today, just the guy who approves and ships the parts.

To be perfectly honest, it does not surprise me that you killed a Sole with your level of usage.  I think your activities are beyond the design parameters of a $1000-$1500 treadmill.  The only reason I expect to get away with it is that I only use it when I have to....far, far fewer miles per year on it (and in general) than you.

Hmmm, this will be tough.  Thanks for the input thus far.  I do have treadmill options at the gym but I would like to have something at home so that when the DW is off training for her tri's, I can get something decent done in the morning versus having to wait later in the day and risk losing out for the day.

I looked at the Landice and will certainly keep an open mind.  The stated price on the web obviously has some room in it as it was listed in the upper $3000's.  I do hear you though about the value of time when it comes to equipment break downs and trying to follow-up with customer service and tech support...after all, we know time is money.

To be perfectly honest, it does not surprise me that you killed a Sole with your level of usage. 

and you're the one talking about treadmill usage???  You've gotten an amazing number of miles on that thing.

OK, I should actually work today besides researching SLR cameras and treadmills.  You'd think that I won the lottery with the wish list of things I'm wanting to get... 

Feeling the growl again

and you're the one talking about treadmill usage???  You've gotten an amazing number of miles on that thing.

OK, I should actually work today besides researching SLR cameras and treadmills.  You'd think that I won the lottery with the wish list of things I'm wanting to get... 

I would make a WAG that DB puts 3X the miles on his that I do on mine.  He certainly runs nearly 3X more than me and I've never done more than a 16-miler on mine.

I would not expect a $1000 TM to be as durable as a commercial model...in all honesty, the average in-home machine probably doesn't get 100 miles/yr and serves more as a clothes rack than exercise machine.  Commercial models are expected to be running several hours/day.

What I am going to do going forward is lube the deck every 400-500 miles, unless I start having issues related to over-lubing.  This is more frequently than they recommend but I doubt I will get another free deck out of them so I will try it.  They say every 180hrs or 3 months....180 hrs at 7min/mile = 1500+ miles...so yeah I did not lube every 3mo.  Seems like a silly either/or combination to me.

FWIW, my work bought used fitness for our new building.  Treadmill and elliptical, both pretty heavy-duty commercial-grade pieces.  From what I heard, we saved significantly v. buying new.  Not sure where you'd explore that option, but I can ask our COO if you'd like.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

I put @ 2,000 - 2,500 on the F85 in the 1st year - I also weigh 210-220 avg duing that time

I am hoping to put on < 1,000 per year on the TT8 - More outside - more YMCA

Feeling the growl again

mbehr, check this out.  For the price and stats, this looks like an amazing deal to me.  LIFETIME WARRANTY on most of the machine, deck included!

I want one...