3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

November / December 2012 Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1074 times)

C-R

Holding steady at 177. I'm so desperate I e-mailed one of my old friends who was a wrestler in college about quick weight cutting.

I think I'll pass on his advice. I am no fan of ExLax and four layers of clothing in the sauna.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slo

I think I'll pass on his advice. I am no fan of ExLax and four layers of clothing in the sauna.

They have outlawed the rubber suits we used to wear. And Exlax was a pretty popular.

This morning I stepped on the scale and was happy to see 163.

xhristopher

They have outlawed the rubber suits we used to wear. And Exlax was a pretty popular.

This morning I stepped on the scale and was happy to see 163.

I never bothered with rubber suits but could easily loose 7 lbs in Friday's practice before Saturday's weigh in. Two pair of sweat pants, three heavy cotton t-shirts, and a bulky hooded sweatshirt was the norm. After one of the guys on my team shat himself during a match nobody dared to touch the exlax. If you are truly desperate to drop a few ounces you can spit in a cup.

C-R

Wrestlers are a different breed.

I think I will try no alcohol and a decent diet + running. Crazy I know.

One of my son's is currently wrestling. Yes its the one you think WhoDat and Andy.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

The beer and holiday food have not been kind.

At least it wasn't any worse than that. I might still make it.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Prince of Fatness

The beer and holiday food have not been kind.

Define "kind", heh.  I have been busy with all of the holiday festivities and haven't run much this week.  For that reason I did not step on the scale today.  I hung tough for most of the month but things got away from me this week.  Oh well.  Final weigh-in will be a week from today.

I will be running another weight loss thread to start the new year.  One of these times I'll get it right.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

My scale is packed away in a box somewhere... I hope I find it before the final weigh in.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

This waking up after 11 in the morning seems to have an advantage lol. Of course I'm not getting to sleep until after 1 am

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Define "kind", heh.  I have been busy with all of the holiday festivities and haven't run much this week.  For that reason I did not step on the scale today.  I hung tough for most of the month but things got away from me this week.  Oh well.  Final weigh-in will be a week from today.

I will be running another weight loss thread to start the new year.  One of these times I'll get it right.

The food and beer were definitely good, so I guess a few pounds was worth it. I probably won't do any better this week either. At least I'm still under 165.

I want to eventually try to get down to 155 for my spring HM, so another weight loss thread would be good.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

W9 (final) - 151.5

My company was on shutdown all week and that's a bad thing for me.  Being at home means I am able to forage at will.  And I did.

Slo

164 and holding.

The 300 challange probably kept me in check thru the holidays as I was not denying myself anything.

Somewhat of a goal race coming up in early Feb...It would be nice to be under 160 for that.

C-R

Held serve at 177. I guess for the holidays the miles challenge helped.

Time to get serious about getting some weight off the bones.

kcam

Fellow weight-conscious runners - I downloaded my RA data into a spreadsheet and did some filtering on the data to try to illustrate the importance of weight on race times.  I went back about 3 years (I started seriously training about 4 - 5 years ago so I wanted to make sure that my training was 'good' for this data).  Here's a chart I produced:

"Starts' is how many races I ran in which I ended up running in the listed AG range, I benchmarked race performance using Age Grade to avoid having to try to compare and make sense of 5K vs 10K vs HM vs Marathon times.  The 'Top of Range' times are predicted times for me with the high AG of the AG range.  Pretty interesting data.  Good correlation to weight, eh?  My training mileage for these three years (and the two years prior) has been almost the same ranging from 2710 to 2950 miles.

You can see why I would LOVE to hit 145 to see what would happen.  I imagine I'll get to a point where the weight loss is detrimental to performance but I suspect I am nowhere near that point.  I'm 5'9", for reference.

Just posted this to encourage us all to hit the dietary habits thing hard this coming two month challenge!

Prince of Fatness

Here's a chart I produced:

Geek!  But seriously, I could not agree more.  I don't have the raw data to confirm but I am sure that I set all of my PR's with the weight down.  Furthermore, this could be partially a mental thing, but when I am maintaining my weight I seem to train better.

184.5 this morning.  Up 3.5 since two weeks ago.  I'll take it.  I was behind the eight ball from the start of November with that stupid hurricane and then between the holidays and this week long head cold the last two weeks have been a disaster.  Not much running or dieting.

Anyway, it is what it is.  New year, clean slate.

Not at it at all. 

Final: held @ 162.

Surprising, since I took a week off due to bronchitis.  I blame it just as much on not wanting to eat anything for a week as anything else.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek