3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2013 Racing Thread (Read 183 times)

45:03 1st AG, 10th F

Brilliant!

1:26:09.  31st O/A, "1st A/G M55-59" *

This was a flat, out and back course, with a cold headwind all the way out today. It was not as warm as the forecast at 47F at the start, but better than some years. The course was 13.02 miles on my Garmin, so possibly a bit short, and I was very careful to run all the tangents as short as possible. Overall pace was 6:37.0 per mile, which would extrapolate out to 1:26:44 at a full 13.11 miles. There were 700 runners, and I think I finished 31st over-all, and *technically 2nd in my age group although I was awarded 1st A/G since the local guy who beat me was also first place Masters 40 and up over-all. Not bad for him at the age of 56. He ran 1:21 and change, which makes my time look rather trivial.

That hurt. I need a beer and a nap.

That's a stunning run - nice!  Tough gig if the first 55+ is 1:21!!

Feeling the growl again

This was a flat, out and back course, with a cold headwind all the way out today. It was not as warm as the forecast at 47F at the start, but better than some years. The course was 13.02 miles on my Garmin, so possibly a bit short, and I was very careful to run all the tangents as short as possible. Overall pace was 6:37.0 per mile, which would extrapolate out to 1:26:44 at a full 13.11 miles. There were 700 runners, and I think I finished 31st over-all, and *technically 2nd in my age group although I was awarded 1st A/G since the local guy who beat me was also first place Masters 40 and up over-all. Not bad for him at the age of 56. He ran 1:21 and change, which makes my time look rather trivial.

That hurt. I need a beer and a nap.

That is well within the error margin for a Garmin; there is no reason to think you ran that fast for any other reason than...well...you were kicking ass.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Congrats on some fine racing Cecil and flarunner!  Enjoy it and recover.

NorCal 10 - 1:03:28

Total fail for the <1:02 goal that I so arrogantly assumed I could achieve.  I tell ya, it's a lot easier running a breakthrough race on my keyboard in January than out on the actual course in March!

That being said ... I am thrilled with this race.  This is the 4th time I've run this race and my previous course PR was two years ago in 1:04:08 and last year (I was failry fit, too) I only mustered a 1:04:42.  This is a tough course with lots of rollers and one steep hill to climb on the out and again on the back.  My 10mile lifetime PR is 3 years old and I've run a bunch of them but never quite nailed another one as good but I really think my 10mile PR is in BIG trouble at my Sactown 10 race in early April.  That course if flat and fast. I ran 1:03:29 there last year so over a minute faster than this one.  Probably a better (more realistic) goal for that race is <1:02 but I guess I'll leave that hanging chad goal of <1:01 on the April thread to remind me how schtupid I am.

This was a USATF-PA championship race and had some serious competition.  Winner ran 50:18.  I ended up 4th in 50-54 but what really counts is 50-59 and there I only scored 8th.  56 year old dude ran 56:50 and fastest 50+ guy was 55:02.

C-R

45:03 1st AG, 10th F

Very nice! I detect some sandbagging.Wink

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

C-R

Damn! That's bringing it. Enjoy the well earned beer

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

C-R

That made me seriously laugh as I was thinking about my call for last weeks half. Spot on.

Good race and something to build for the remaining 10 months of 2013

Total fail for the <1:02 goal that I so arrogantly assumed I could achieve.  I tell ya, it's a lot easier running a breakthrough race on my keyboard in January than out on the actual course in March!

#artbydmcbride

Ileneforward  3/3     Newport Spirit Run  5k                                25:20

yeah my hamstring is sore as hell:  26:38   2nd AG

Runners run

Congrats on some fine racing Cecil and flarunner!  Enjoy it and recover.

That being said ... I am thrilled with this race.  This is the 4th time I've run this race and my previous course PR was two years ago in 1:04:08 and last year (I was failry fit, too) I only mustered a 1:04:42.

This was a USATF-PA championship race and had some serious competition.  Winner ran 50:18.  I ended up 4th in 50-54 but what really counts is 50-59 and there I only scored 8th.  56 year old dude ran 56:50 and fastest 50+ guy was 55:02.

Nice race Ken!  Gotta love the optimism that comes out in January.  I wouldn't call this a total fail.  You ran a course PR and keep showing that you're improving.  That was one heck of a competitive race.

Way to set the bar for the Hurtlocker for March racing.  Nice race and I hope you enjoyed that well earned beer.

C-R

yeah my hamstring is sore as hell:  26:38   2nd AG

Nice placing but that hammy ain't gonna heal racing every weekend.

Walk-Jogger

Thanks, everyone. And Ken, if you aren't happy with that NorCal 10 mile time, I'll be glad to take it off yer hands! I've only run one 10 mile race in the past few years, and have only run (faster) 10 mile time trials since then. We only have one 10-miler per year close to here, and besides being a very hilly course, they run it in September when the air here often is totally smokey and un-breathable. 

As for my choice of beer yesterday, I went for the Lagunitas "Hop Stupid", 8%, 22 oz, which is about as fine a brew as one can find at Safeway, for my taste buds. Certainly lived up to it's name, as in made me stupid (and pain-free) for a few hours.  

Retired &  Loving It

#artbydmcbride

Nice placing but that hammy ain't gonna heal racing every weekend.

..you sound like my DH....   Wink

Runners run

A pretty great fail Ken with a course PR ken!

34:48 for me.  Very happy given the nasty hill you run three times in this one.  2nd overall and a bottle of wine and a cookery book as a prize - random!!  Nearly felt like spring for about 10 minutes today as well...