3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2013 Racing Thread (Read 183 times)

#artbydmcbride

yeah my hamstring is sore as hell:

3/09 Lakewood Community run 10k                     56:55

Lakewood Community Run  56:38

Runners run

3/9 -- CliveF -- Alston + Bird Corporate Cup 5k (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = 19:10

19:32, good for 6th overall (and 1st masters, but they awarded out to top 5 male/female, so I got a 5th male award).

Fail in the time, although this race was instructive: I need to find my 5k race pace after the starting-pistol excitement abates.  I'm going out nicely but settling into something that's turning out to be too slow, squandering time I can't recover despite chasing it the remainder of the distance.  Not optimal, and that's gotta change.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

18:22, third place.

Brilliant!

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hot damn Nads! That's awesome! And a PR!

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

3/9   lynde   Mardi Gras 5k   Oxford, AL  <23:00

Wow, total fail at guessing current fitness. Unofficial time 24:41, 30th overall, 2nd in age group.

Course pr from last year was 25:42. 5K PR from August 2012 is 23:56.  I was hoping all the miles I had put in since then (~doubled my lifetime miles run) would have resulted in a faster time. But I think all the short high intensity non-running workouts (ala crossfit) that I was doing last spring and summer had more of an effect than I suspected, despite not running very much. My endurance is much better now, but really need to work on the speed.

Oh well. At least I have a real baseline now. And I think I ran it about as well as I could.

Pinhoti 100: Finished :D

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Walk-Jogger

Nice PR!

Retired &  Loving It

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Woohoo!  Congrats, Nads!

steph  

bhearn

Last minute addition, River City 50k, Folsom, CA, 3/10 (tomorrow), I'm thinking 4:20ish.

Hamstring is still shot -- I can't do my speedwork for Boston. So I'm switching to run-whatever-the-hell-I want mode. I seem to be able to do long stuff and hilly stuff, as long as it's on trails. This race is on paved bike paths, so not ideal; we'll see what happens. PR is 3:57, but this race is hillier.

Maybe a 12-hour in a couple weeks as well.

Hit 31 at 4:20, but my finish time was 4:41 -- including an extra 2.7 miles for getting lost, twice. Winner ran 4:27, so I would have won, but he also got lost, so fair enough. Hamstring was NOT happy. The drive there and back (3 hours each way) was torture; my leg cannot handle sitting for very long. I don't know about that 12 hour.

I also had to sacrifice a pair of running tights after discovering I hadn't packed shorts. You do what you have to do.

Walk-Jogger

Hit 31 at 4:20, but my finish time was 4:41 -- including an extra 2.7 miles for getting lost, twice. Winner ran 4:27, so I would have won, but he also got lost, so fair enough. Hamstring was NOT happy. The drive there and back (3 hours each way) was torture; my leg cannot handle sitting for very long. I don't know about that 12 hour.

I also had to sacrifice a pair of running tights after discovering I hadn't packed shorts. You do what you have to do.

Sounds like you had a nice outing, in the true spirit of the Hurtlocker. Congrats!

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Nice; nothing like tearing your clothes off to demonstrate toughness.

Heal up; don't end up like me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

J-L-C

Good luck J-L-C, is there any local flavour twists on krispy kremes?  I can imagine a kimchi crème filling - ymmmm Tight lips

Haha. Not that I've found, though I tend to gravitate towards the familiar. I have discovered that they don't have creme filled despite labeling a donut creme-filled. It's actually custard-filled. And that's gross. And two years ago they changed the chocolate on the chocolate glazed and it's no where near as good as it used to be or as it is in the U.S. Those warm glazed still get the job done, though.

J-L-C

Exactly what I was thinking!  I've been to China many times and have never seen a Krispy Kreme place.  I just can't imagine.  Cool.

We've got loads of them. They're starting to pop up in every city.

They're giving some competition to the ubiquitous Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins combos.

We've also got McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Popeye's, TGI Fridays, Outback, Benningans, Dominos, Starbucks, etc., etc., etc.

J-L-C

Wow, smashed that one! Congratulations!

Thank you, friends!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus