3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2013 Racing Thread (Read 183 times)

Got one picked out and am all signed up!

3/16 - St Paddys Day 5k, Naperville, IL (Goal: <16:25)

Let's see.  In 3 years, I've done 3 5k's.  I'm due to fill in the one for this year.  My goal should be to be less than 2 minutes behind the leaders.  I know a few that are going to be there that are shooting for 14:30.

16:38, 8 OA/1AG

And I was less than 2 min behind the winner.  1 - 14:56 and 2 was 15:10.  Each of those two ran 14:30's last year.  It was about 33° at the start with 12-14 mph winds out of the North.  Tougher racing conditions this morning but I was happy to get out there.  Splits were 5:21, 5:25, 5:27, 0.25.  About 1200m of the first mile was into the wind.  Had hoped to open up and increase speed in the 2nd mile but couldn't find that turnover.  Was pretty much solo from about 400m in to the end.  7th was about 10sec ahead and I just couldn't close that gap.  In the end, it was a good rust buster.

Forgot to post, but ran 18:09 today at the Flying Dutchmen 5k in Orangeburg, NY.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C-R

Forgot to post, but ran 18:09 today at the Flying Dutchmen 5k in Orangeburg, NY.

Damn Nads. Sub 18 next week!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Congrats on another PR!

steph  

Feeling the growl again

Dude....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Solid!!

3/16 -- CliveF -- Leprechaun Loop 8k (evening race!) -- Davidson NC -- Goal = 32:15

33:20, including a 63-second pit-stop.

Considering the conditions at gun time (75*, sunny, steady 12-15mph winds) and how freaking hilly that course was, I'm very encouraged by that time.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

33:20, including a 63-second pit-stop.

Considering the conditions at gun time (75*, sunny, steady 12-15mph winds) and how freaking hilly that course was, I'm very encouraged by that time.

That's the right way to look at it. Good work, Clive.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Walk-Jogger

Drill the 5k. Just short enough to drop the hammer and long enough to help drive out the illness without potentially making it worse.

No race for me this weekend but I ran with some cows. So there's that.

Should have taken your advice, I would have probably taken the 5k 1st place over-all away from a 13 year old. As it was, I ran the 10k, and had a lousy run. 41:38, when I should have been <39:00. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty going in; I was already mentally defeated at the starting line, and I just didn't have the strength in my legs to go the distance. I was about 20:00 at 3.1 and was in 3rd place over-all clear to the 5 mile mark, but I was fading and just didn't care, and got passed twice just past the 5 and didn't respond at all. Embarrassing, mostly in that I just didn't care. It was a small race, so I was 5th place over-all, first place master, and ran the whole thing alone so it was yet another time trial. 6:46 pace - I ran my half-marathon two weeks ago almost 10 seconds faster than that. It was only a training run; that's my story and I'm sticking with it...

Retired &  Loving It

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

3/17 -- Shamrockin' Run 8K -- New Orleans, LA -- <40:00

39:29

Not quite what I really wanted. I was way too aggressive at the start and started to fade and was having trouble keeping a decent pace the second half. Still had a great time as I got to hang with an old friend and drink Guinness.

Jogged back to the hotel from the finish and stopped for more beer. Time for a nap and then crawfish and more beer tonight. Smile

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

3/17 Across The Bay 12K   San Francisco, CA  <46:00

46:16

4th in 50-54, 6th in 50-59.

xhristopher

Ran the New Bedford Half today. I finished 3 seconds slower than my "PR" which was run on a course everyone considers short .1 short. Ah, well. I've got to get that monkey off my back eventually with a certified course. I'm thinking about targeting the half again this fall.

Walk-Jogger

46:16

4th in 50-54, 6th in 50-59.

Ken, that looks like a 12K PR? Nice running!

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Yes, I'm happy even though I didn't run under 46.  Thanks, Cecil.

Wow, some great performances this week, congrats all!