3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

March 2013 Racing Thread (Read 183 times)

flarunner

Did the Sarasota Half marathon yesterday. Finished in 1:38:39 and good for 1st in AG (which is old womenfolk). Have had a string of half marathons over the past year in the 1:43-1:44 range so I don't know where this race came from, but I'm really happy about this.

A lot of great racing by a bunch of people this weekend. Great job all!

MTA: Well, looking at the results website it seems I got 2nd AG. Seriously people, are there really that many 50+ women running that you can't keep track?

And thanks Ilene.

#artbydmcbride

Wow, nice breakthrough, flarunner!  Now of course we expect lots of new PRs from you!  Big grin

Runners run

#artbydmcbride

3/23 El Segundo Run for Education 10k              55:05     56:55

I have downgraded to the 5k at this event.  And my goal is 26:00

3/23  - Ileneforward - El Segundo Run for Education 5k    26:00

Runners run

I have downgraded to the 5k at this event.  And my goal is 26:00

GO ILLENE!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Blush

Runners run

J-L-C

Wow, some great performances this week, congrats all!

+1. Great job, folks. Fun to read about the good races and easy to empathize with the not so good. We all go through those rougher races and it makes those good ones that much better. Keep it up. Onwards and forwards and all. Cool

Good luck!  Mind that leg.  (And keep track of your wallet.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

03/29 - kmark - Good Friday 5k - 19:30

I really have no idea.

I have been running consistently for 3 weeks now, 3 WEEKS!!! so not sure what to expect.  It hopefully won't be ridiculously cold like the 5k I ran in Feb in 19:5x so I guess we'll see.

xhristopher

Ran the New Bedford Half today. I finished 3 seconds slower than my "PR" which was run on a course everyone considers short .1 short. Ah, well. I've got to get that monkey off my back eventually with a certified course. I'm thinking about targeting the half again this fall.

I suppose I should offer a time for this. 1:22:56 was the result. Hitting this time on a challenging and certified course gives great satisfaction. So much so that I'm thinking about targeting the Baystate Half Marathon in October as my fall goal race.

3/24 - Alpha Delta Piathlon (sprint triathlon) 300m/11 mi/5k - The swim should be interesting... I've swam about 5 times this year, so this is not an "A" race.  Goal - top 10 bike split, and beat my last 5k (22:18) off the bike.

Sorry Spaniel, upon further review (soulless race which would likely be a pure time trial and even though it's on maybe the flattest course possible besides a track) pulling an audible here:

3/23 -- Gville Kevin -- Shamrock Run 2M   Bristol, CT  <10:40

Looks like a lot more fun, and a lot more competition, plus I'll have a 5k in two weeks after anyway, and need to update my 2M PR.

So, for family reasons I had to run a different race - about an hour closer to home. So, can't really retroactively submit a time goal - but it would have been 20:15 for this 3.6 mile course. Ended up in 20:47....hills. One crazy quarter mile 12% incline near the end in particular. Brutally leg sapping. The leader was about 10 seconds in front of me the whole time. I got within 2 strides of him on that hill, but he recovered much better, and finished the same 10 seconds ahead of me.

Race was free, which was nice. But then again, had more the feeling of an organized tempo than a race. No clock, no mile markers, no bibs. Just a "go" and a popsicle stick - nothing wrong with that, I just couldn't ever really get my head in "race" mode. Still fun though.

MTA: For recording purposes:

3/23 -- Gville Kevin -- Down Hemlock, Up Chalybes 3.6M  Roxbury, CT < 20:15,

Result - 20:47, 2OA

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                        C-R

Sam Costa this morning (no I didn't see the little bastard from last year but I was looking for him) in perfect conditions (34 and light wind)

My Timex said 1:30:00 on the friggin nose. No clue what actual time will be but I thought that was pretty cool. Oh and check my goal for the race. Heh.

Getting fitter. That's 8 minutes less than last month's HM. Not sure I can keep up that pace of improvement for April.

Mta - 1:29:56 offiial

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Walk-Jogger

3/30, "Campus on the run 5K" ; This is a hilly course and there's usually a headwind on the first big uphill. I ran 19:23 last year, so shooting for 19:22 this year.

Retired &  Loving It

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Nice job C-R.

Relentless. Forward. Progress.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

Great run CR - you sure nailed the fitness prediction!

G'Ville - nothing wrong with 'Go' / popsickle stick race, I run lots of those around here.  That race sounds like a character builder.  It'll only help you in future races.  My race from last week (12K) features a big hill with .4 miles left to go.  The uphill is more than half of that distance so that when you crest the top there's about .1-..2 mile very big downhill sprint left.  I always let the guys around me put some time on me on the uphill and then I let 'er rip on the DH side.  I usually get anyone that passed me on the hill.  This year I got two guys but there was a girl that passed me on the hill and then held me off on the sprint.  It's one of my favorite races because of the intense racing in the last .half mile.