3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

How Many Weeks (Read 765 times)

How many weeks do you take to train for a goal marathon? A goal half marathon?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Well, lately, whatever I can put together. 

Ideally?  A solid base and 12ish weeks of marathon-specific training...4-5 total months total cycle time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks. The base just isn't there for me this year.  I was thinking about BayState on 10/17 or the Hamptons on 9/24.  I might just focus on the half this Fall.

Feeling the growl again

Thanks. The base just isn't there for me this year.  I was thinking about BayState on 10/17 or the Hamptons on 9/24.  I might just focus on the half this Fall.

Well, it depends what your goal is and where you are in your running.  What did you have to do to set your marathon PR?  When I took my PR from 2:36 to 2:29 I only had a moderate summer base for the time (50ish mpw) and only did 6 weeks of marathon specific (but very workout-intense) training.  But I was still at a place where I was getting faster from putting in consistent 50ish mpw and my 2:36 was a bit soft due to race day conditions also.  To set a PR now I'd have to put a lot more into it.

October is a long way off still.  You have time to do something for it if you want, you have over 1000 miles this year, that's nothing to sneeze at.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Well, it depends what your goal is and where you are in your running.  What did you have to do to set your marathon PR?  When I took my PR from 2:36 to 2:29 I only had a moderate summer base for the time (50ish mpw) and only did 6 weeks of marathon specific (but very workout-intense) training.  But I was still at a place where I was getting faster from putting in consistent 50ish mpw and my 2:36 was a bit soft due to race day conditions also.  To set a PR now I'd have to put a lot more into it.

October is a long way off still.  You have time to do something for it if you want, you have over 1000 miles this year, that's nothing to sneeze at.

The only thing I recall was that I ran a lot more that year than I had the year before.

I was hoping to average 60mpw this year, run a 1:29 in the Spring and a 3:20 in the Fall. So far, I've got a 1:35 and a few injuries. Humbled but not broken!

L Train

I was hoping to average 60mpw this year, run a 1:29 in the Spring and a 3:20 in the Fall. So far, I've got a 1:35 and a few injuries.  

You want to become the old me?

You want to become the old me?

That's not a shabby goal, if a bit ambitioius. And, furthermore, cry me a river.

L Train

That's not a shabby goal, if a bit ambitioius. And, furthermore, cry me a river.

Wah.

And no, that's not overly ambitious for you.  You'll be there before you know it and then some.

MTA:  And holyfuckman.  This training log feature has made log stalking a PITA.

We'll see buddy.  

I just stumbled onto the Philadelphia Marathon.  11/20.  This would allow me to get my foot straight (hopefully), build up a little base, and race a HM's on 9/24 and 10/17! 

What say you all?

Feeling the growl again

We'll see buddy.  

I just stumbled onto the Philadelphia Marathon.  11/20.  This would allow me to get my foot straight (hopefully), build up a little base, and race a HM's on 9/24 and 10/17! 

What say you all?

I say go for it.  I tell you, the older I get, I'd rather be running a marathon in a hat and gloves than in 70+ deg weather again.  11/20 pretty much fixes that risk.

I tell you, the older I get, I'd rather be running a marathon in a hat and gloves than in 70+ deg weather again.

+1  November sounds like a good time to go for a marathon.  I can't stand the heat of the summer and just sweat too damn much.  BTW, even if you went for Oct, you're still a good 12 weeks away.

Thanks, guys.

Sweat! My goodness, I have a strong feeling that I sweat much more than you.

If it's a moderately fast-paced 12 miler, there may be a pool of sweat behind the treadmill (awkward!).  

I think taking Scaps/Nuun tabs reduces the sweating. Not sure. 

I remember that commercial!

Seanv2

We'll see buddy.  

What say you all?

I ran Philly last year.  Its a huge race, but well organized and good if you like the cooler temps. If you decide to do it, be ready for the rolling hills from around miles 20 to 23. I sure wasn't.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com