3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

My T6s (Read 542 times)

Hawt and sexy

So, I have this weird idea in my head to just keep running in my older T6s everyday until they fail.

How do I define fail? Unwearable maybe?

Will I die?

Will my other running shoes get all jealous?

Will I develop freaky Trent calves?

I'm touching your pants.

Electric Koolaid

Will my other running shoes get all jealous?

yes.

Feeling the growl again

I would define "fail" as the point where they break down to the point that you end up with some injury and feel stupid for attempting such a stunt.  Forgive my ignorance as I do not know what a T6 is, is it a trainer or a flat?

On the trainer end, about 8-9 years ago I ran a pair of Brooks Adrenalines up to a little over 1000 miles by accident, it was my first high mileage period and I just never through to add the miles up as they were not all that old.  Then they started feeling hard, I started getting foot and knee problems....yeah, I put on new shoes and realized just how shot they were.  So now I retire at 700 miles with the last 200 miles relegated to shorter runs and not problems.   Until lately, I ran a pair up to 860 on the treadmill and that's about when this heel thing kicked in.  I should have known better.

Flats are another story.  Some just have nothing to break down.  I think I still have the first pair of flats I ever bought, circa 1998 or so.  I have no idea how many miles on them.  Countless races 1998-2002 or so, then all of my interval workouts through 2006.  I glued the hard rubber bottom sole on with superglue 3 different times.  They finally got to the point where there was just no way to hold the sole together.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

It's a flat. The pic is from when they were new. Either the little toe will blow out to the point where it won't stay on right, or the bottom will wear through. I just wanna try to kill a pair of shoes for real. I'm kinda easy on shoes and very good at moving on when they die. The flats just don't feel like they die though.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

I don't own a pair of flats newer than 2006.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hawt and sexy

Well, not much longer now.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Two words:  Duct tape.

Hawt and sexy

Hmm, the bottom is good. That could work. Does that last through runs that last longer than say 2 hours?

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Hmm, the bottom is good. That could work. Does that last through runs that last longer than say 2 hours?

Depends how many rolls you use.  You can make boats out of that shit you know.

C-R

Depends how many rolls you use.  You can make boats out of that shit you know.

Here is the instructional website  http://www.ducttapeguys.com

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hawt and sexy

Ok, so 200+ miles into this experiment leads me to a question. Since I am quite capable of training in these exclusively, does that mean I could do a marathon in these things? Well, a newer pair, of course. I guess my reservations are simply due to the idea of being in them for longer than 3:30. If I was a sub-3 marathoner, this would be a no brainer. But since I am not that speedy, I have reservations about trying it out.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

Ok, so 200+ miles into this experiment leads me to a question. Since I am quite capable of training in these exclusively, does that mean I could do a marathon in these things? Well, a newer pair, of course. I guess my reservations are simply due to the idea of being in them for longer than 3:30. If I was a sub-3 marathoner, this would be a no brainer. But since I am not that speedy, I have reservations about trying it out.

I would not see why you could not....BTW, not being speedy should make it easier.  Speedy people have more shock to the muscles to deal with (evidence my spectacular blow-up on the hills at Steamtown).

Hawt and sexy

Steamtown is speshul. No matter what shoes you wear, your feet are going to hurt as soon as you get off the trails. The hills suck regardless of speed due to that initial downhill killing the quad's will to live. 

Are you sure slow peeps don't suffer more pounding just from more time on the feet? That's kinda what has me worried. I have had 2 marathons with stinging feet after 22 miles or so in lightweight trainers. I guess I would worry that the stinging might kick in earlier in the T6s. If it's going to happen anyway, I might as well try it.

Ugh, ok. So do your feet sting after 20 something miles anyway?

MTA, missed a don't in there. Seems important.

I'm touching your pants.

Feeling the growl again

I race in flats as light as the T6s and I can't say my feet sting.  If anything it's the quads that pay.  And trust me, hitting the first 7 miles of Steamtown at 5:05-5:20 pace hurts a hell of a lot more than 8:00 pace or whatever is average.  You can see it in the comparisons across races, people in the 3:30+ range find it to be a fast course but the sub-3 crowd gets the shit pounded out of them.  I ran it with a 2:17 guy, I saw him in the hotel afterwards and he could barely stand, dropped out at 17.

If your feet really sting after a marathon in trainers one of 2 things:  a) it's too long and you can't handle it in flats, or b) since you train mostly in flats you are screwing with yourself trying to race in trainers.  Which one it is will dictate whether flats are a good idea.

Have you tried a half in them?  How about a 25K?  Ask C-R what he thinks, he likes training in the light shoes and I think he's raced in them too.  I just train in them for fast workouts and race in them.

Hawt and sexy

I have ran a half in T5s or T6s, and a couple of halfs in XC spikes with blanks in. The spike races were on trails, so that doesn't count really.

Damn, I think you are saying I should be doing all of my racing in the flats. That skers me.

I'm touching your pants.