3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

December Racing Thread (Read 957 times)

Ostrich runner

I loved having this beer!!  To me it was a big morale lifter!!

I loved everything about the Tecumseh Trail Marathon.  I finished 4:53 and some change.  This was my first ever marathon and had a blast!!!  Don't get me wrong, the hills were nothing to laugh about, but by the time I got to the top of some of them, I was laughing...

I met a couple cool people here and traveled with another.. I can't wait to do it again, SOON!!!

I do love that race. In fact, it's the only marathon I have ever entered. There have been a few other long races, but it is the only one in IN that I feel compelled to do. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

BTW thanks for the props.  I felt a little like a runner yesterday.  I've sometimes wondered why the hell I've kept at it.  I guess that's why.

Kind of sick how a few minutes of feeling like that somehow justifies weeks or months of ass-busting training...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BTW thanks for the props.  I felt a little like a runner yesterday.  I've sometimes wondered why the hell I've kept at it.  I guess that's why.

Nice.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

C-R

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

MrP, does that mean your injury has healed up?

It's getting there.  I've been running relatively pain free for quite some time now.  The issue that I had been having since the spring is my right leg would go numb on occasion.  Even that hasn't happened in a couple of months.  I wouldn't say that I am completely recovered but I think that I am getting there.

Not at it at all. 

Slo

Just popping in to say  "Hi Y'all".

Im a regular in the Masters and don't venture out of there much but met up with C-R over the weekend at Tecumseh. Thought I'd check this little corner out as well.

I got my rear handed to me out there this weekend.

C-R

I wouldn't say that I am completely recovered but I think that I am getting there.

This is a big LIKE. Better for you to be a pain in the ass and push us here than have a pain in the ass.

Welcome Slo. Great to meet you IRL and share some beers last weekend.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Big grin

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Just popping in to say  "Hi Y'all".

Im a regular in the Masters and don't venture out of there much but met up with C-R over the weekend at Tecumseh. Thought I'd check this little corner out as well.

I got my rear handed to me out there this weekend.

Welcome.  Stick around, get goaded into doing something stupid.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

21:26.  I'll take it.

I just got an email from them and my chip time was 21:24.  I'll take those two seconds.  I thought that the other time was the chip time since they put them up on the wall at the race but those were gun time.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Sat, Dec 10, 5K, aim for low 18s.Say sub-18:20.

Sun, Dec 11, 15K, aim to PR (<= 1:03:08). Recently ran that pace for 26.2K, so this ought to be cake, except for the stupid 5K I can't resist on Sat.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

CliveF -- 24DEC2011 -- Christmas Elf Kids Run (Mt. Mourne NC) -- shamelessly pace my son, then kick a little and make him want to beat me.

CliveF -- 24DEC2011 -- Christmas Elf 5k (Mt. Mourne NC) -- be a big dog (sub-20) or go back under the damn porch again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Prince of Fatness

CliveF -- 24DEC2011 -- Christmas Elf Kids Run (Mt. Mourne NC) -- shamelessly pace my son, then kick a little and make him want to beat me.

Nice!

Not at it at all. 

Technically, a FAIL: I didn't pace him, and I didn't kick with him.  My son is awesome.  In a strategy to keep his early pace sane, our pre-race plan was to "keep his speed a secret" from the other kids; then, when we hit the go-time spot, he could "tell them the secret" and run FAST.  So we started (he wanted me to run with him) and he went out too fast.  Kids streaming by us nonetheless.  Yeah, then we start passing them in droves as they die off, and it's only big kids ahead of him (he's 6).  Then, I can tell the fast start and the distance are starting to make things uncomfortable for him.  One of my proudest moments as a parent was watching his face over the last third of the race, seeing him encounter what a hard race feels like ... and keep driving.  We got to about 50m to go, I said "Go time!" and he bolted.  Arms pumping, head forward, throwing everything into it.  He was so wiped out at the finish, he didn't see the guy trying to hand him a medal, and then he had that "mind is elsewhere, dealing with it" look for a little while.  And 30min later, he was queasy.  Kid's an athlete.

CliveF -- 24DEC2011 -- Christmas Elf 5k (Mt. Mourne NC) -- be a big dog (sub-20) or go back under the damn porch again.

Great execution, total whiff on the goal.  22:07 on a new, long course.  Race site has it officially as 5.541 k.  I held the required pace, pressed when I felt like hell, started building from ~600 out and had a reasonable semblance of a finishing kick.  Missed the time, but I have a lot of good things to take away from this one.

[MT'ed my time -- 22:047 isn't a real race time in any universe.]

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Technically, a FAIL: I didn't pace him, and I didn't kick with him.  My son is awesome.  In a strategy to keep his early pace sane, our pre-race plan was to "keep his speed a secret" from the other kids; then, when we hit the go-time spot, he could "tell them the secret" and run FAST.  So we started (he wanted me to run with him) and he went out too fast.  Kids streaming by us nonetheless.  Yeah, then we start passing them in droves as they die off, and it's only big kids ahead of him (he's 6).  Then, I can tell the fast start and the distance are starting to make things uncomfortable for him.  One of my proudest moments as a parent was watching his face over the last third of the race, seeing him encounter what a hard race feels like ... and keep driving.  We got to about 50m to go, I said "Go time!" and he bolted.  Arms pumping, head forward, throwing everything into it.  He was so wiped out at the finish, he didn't see the guy trying to hand him a medal, and then he had that "mind is elsewhere, dealing with it" look for a little while.  And 30min later, he was queasy.  Kid's an athlete.

That made me beam and it wasn't even my kid.  Congrats.