3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Bagging it (Read 605 times)

Seanv2

Three weeks of insane work hours, travel, and a stupid fucking groin injury has lead me to bag my fall marathon. I'd rather not run at all than run in poor shape. Kinda bummed about this and kind of relieved. Its only October but I am already thinking about next year.

Nader, I think i am still going to go to Philly so if you're running, I'll be around for a beer after.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Recover and train for next year.  That's what I'm doing when I ended up in a similar spot, sans injury.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hey, how about doing the half with my friend Tony and me.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Seanv2

Hey, how about doing the half with my friend Tony and me.

Dude I'm not even sure I am in half shape right now. Would you run a half on my mileage?

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

If injury is not too big a concern, I would.  Back in fall 09, I was travelling and my longest runs were a few 6 milers for a couple of months (about 20-25  MPW) and though that Race sucked, I got a big PR in another one about a month later.

If injury is not too big a concern, I would.  Back in fall 09, I was travelling and my longest runs were a few 6 milers for a couple of months (about 20-25  MPW) and though that Race sucked, I got a big PR in another one about a month later.

Yeah, you paid your money.  You may want to show up and run anyway.  They're going to charge you another 12 bucks to switch races. 

Seanv2

Yeah, you paid your money.  You may want to show up and run anyway.  They're going to charge you another 12 bucks to switch races. 

Hmm... maybe I will. I've got to see how the injury does this week and then I'll make a decision.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Yeah, don't race a HM injured. But if you feel the injury has settled down and it's just a matter of being a bit undertrained, I say go for it.

Where are you at on the comfortableness of running now?  It's been what, about 4 weeks now since you've tweaked the quad/groin area?  I'm sure sprints or anything fast probably won't feel good but how about general easy running and stretching?  Depending on what you did, sometimes the cure is to get the blood flowing and stretch out good.  Do you have access to other equipment to cross-train?

You'll know where your limits are and what you can do.  Being smart and figuring out what you need to do to get back running again will be key.  Although you've had a little bit of running mixed in throughout the past 28 days, you might not be in as bad of shape as you think.  If you can run easy with little to no pain, then the half would likely be doable.  If it takes nothing but easy running from now on out or some easy running with cross training, then so be it.  Half of your weeks prior to the injury were at or near 50 mpw.  That at least counts for something as you look forward on what to do.  Good luck.

DoppleBock

I do not think you can make a wrong decision.

I used to not race a marathon unless I was in shape - The possitive is it helped motivate me to get my ass in shape.

Now I run a marathon in almost any shape and have learned the joy of racing an hard marathon with what you have that day.  I have enjoyed many, many marathons not in top shape - But ran very hard - It has taught me to know what marathon pace effort feels like.  But it's been a long time since I have gotten my fat ass in shape.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Feeling the growl again

But it's been a long time since I have gotten my fat ass in shape.

Join the club brother.  50-miler with no run over 10-12 miles, hahahahaha

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Seanv2

Where are you at on the comfortableness of running now?  It's been what, about 4 weeks now since you've tweaked the quad/groin area?  I'm sure sprints or anything fast probably won't feel good but how about general easy running and stretching?  Depending on what you did, sometimes the cure is to get the blood flowing and stretch out good.  Do you have access to other equipment to cross-train?

When I start out the groin is definitely tight but it warms up after a mile or two. As soon as I pick up the pace though, I feel it. I can definitely do some cross training, I have a bike which I rarely use and should probably sign up for the gym again.

What the hell, maybe I'll just do the half.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Seanv2

Now I run a marathon in almost any shape and have learned the joy of racing an hard marathon with what you have that day.  I have enjoyed many, many marathons not in top shape - But ran very hard - It has taught me to know what marathon pace effort feels like.  But it's been a long time since I have gotten my fat ass in shape.

DB your slow marathons would be a huge PR for me. Maybe once I have a base near yours I can go into a marathon under trained, but I have no interest in going out there and slogging through a 4:30 marathon.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

DoppleBock

I do understand that - I have tried to do a few ultras this year under-trained and out of shape and they were not any fun.  I have decided not to try a 100 or 24 hour again unless I am sufficiently trained.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DB your slow marathons would be a huge PR for me. Maybe once I have a base near yours I can go into a marathon under trained, but I have no interest in going out there and slogging through a 4:30 marathon.

I really get this.  I'm happy to do a 10k or half undertrained, but a marathon not so much.  I want to be ready to take it head on and do it justice.  I pulled out of Rotorua marathon in May this year and have steadily rebuilt towards New York.  

Good luck with the recovery and rebuild Sean - it sounds like you've made exactly the right decision for you.