3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Running Plan for 2014 (Read 43 times)

I finally have a diagnosis of the issue that's been bothering me for a couple of years now.  Actually it's two separate issues, but maybe one was causing the other.  The first is an impinged nerve in the hip causing that thigh to go numb/burning pain while sleeping. Thought that was not affecting the run, but turns out I was favoring the leg and over stressing the other leg (significant strength and flexibility differences).

So the treatment suggested was a steroid injection and if that fails a minor surgery to relieve whatever is irritating that nerve. So once I get that fixed.  Here's the plan for the rest of the year to get off the plateau I find myself for the last 2 years.

Goal -  PR @ 5K, 10K and maybe HM (or at least get back to where I was a couple years ago), with a race every month or so to gauge progress with goal races being in the late fall.

Run 5-6 days with the goal most days being at least an hour of running, one day go slightly longer 75-90 min. aim for 7 hours/week running

One 4-5 mile tempo/faster run (preferably with a group), aiming for HM pace.

One long run between 90 min and 2 hours.

Total - 40-45 MPW .

Couple of questions to ponder-

Would I get a better bang for the buck with  Sat/Sun both being kind of long runs (90 minutes Sat, 90+ Sun) or should I run that second med long run during the week but try for faster pace and Sat/Sun both being easy long run pace?

Would an occasional 3/5 double during the week be better for recovery instead of a planned 6-7 mile run?

I know only way to know is to run both options for both of the above questions and see, but thought I'd put it out there for comments.

HF.. I bet that feels good finding the solutions to your pain. Your running plan looks fun. Personally, I like running faster for longer periods. I think I gain the most from tempo runs. That said, I did have a period of back-to-back 90+ min days. Those really tired me out. Maybe start with Sat & Sun long runs and move to 1 per week long run as you get closer to your races?

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

I finally have a diagnosis of the issue that's been bothering me for a couple of years now.  Actually it's two separate issues, but maybe one was causing the other.  The first is an impinged nerve in the hip causing that thigh to go numb/burning pain while sleeping. Thought that was not affecting the run, but turns out I was favoring the leg and over stressing the other leg (significant strength and flexibility differences).

So the treatment suggested was a steroid injection and if that fails a minor surgery to relieve whatever is irritating that nerve. So once I get that fixed.  Here's the plan for the rest of the year to get off the plateau I find myself for the last 2 years.

Goal -  PR @ 5K, 10K and maybe HM (or at least get back to where I was a couple years ago), with a race every month or so to gauge progress with goal races being in the late fall.

Run 5-6 days with the goal most days being at least an hour of running, one day go slightly longer 75-90 min. aim for 7 hours/week running

One 4-5 mile tempo/faster run (preferably with a group), aiming for HM pace.

One long run between 90 min and 2 hours.

Total - 40-45 MPW .

Couple of questions to ponder-

Would I get a better bang for the buck with  Sat/Sun both being kind of long runs (90 minutes Sat, 90+ Sun) or should I run that second med long run during the week but try for faster pace and Sat/Sun both being easy long run pace?

Would an occasional 3/5 double during the week be better for recovery instead of a planned 6-7 mile run?

I know only way to know is to run both options for both of the above questions and see, but thought I'd put it out there for comments.

I would not run long back-to-back Sat/Sun, especially on that volume.  I don't think you'll recover, even if you keep it easy.

I would run long once on the weekend, and why not throw some tempo or pace work in to that?  Then on another day of the week you can do your med/long with quality in that.  IMHO at east 2 days in between.

I would also recommend, in your mind, placing your goal to get healthy #1.  I've been in the spot where you're trying to push to fast race times as the year's clock is running down but you haven't cleared the injury problem yet...mentally a tough place to be.  That is why my 2014 plan includes only to get back up to full training injury-free and eventually race regularly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Thanks PL and Spaniel (hey that rhymes), Only reason I am contemplating Sat/Sun as my longest days is a) I have time b) Nobby's plans call for a longish Tempo run Sat before a long run Sun. I see that I don't run the volume that might make that work, so I'd go with what you guys suggest.

Good reminder about getting healthy before chasing time goals. Maybe I am being too ambitious in wanting a PR right away.  Although if I can execute the plan I think I'll get there automatically without really chasing the goal. Will see, maybe this is just the excitement of having a diagnosis.

Thanks PL and Spaniel (hey that rhymes), Only reason I am contemplating Sat/Sun as my longest days is a) I have time b) Nobby's plans call for a longish Tempo run Sat before a long run Sun. I see that I don't run the volume that might make that work, so I'd go with what you guys suggest.

Through all of Lydiard's phases (conditioning, hill resistance, aenarobic and co-ordination), Saturday typically has a faster type effort and Sunday a long, aerobic run.  Going into it, I would look at the Sat/Sun combo similar to the every other week Lydiard conditioning.  For example:

Week 1:

Sat: Hilly 30min - 1hr

Sun: Long run 1.5-2.0 hr

Week 2:

Sat: Tempo 5k-10k

Sun: Long run 2+ hr

For 2 hr, you typically cover 12 miles.  With that, I'd keep the every other Sat tempo to a 5k-4 mi distance.  With warm-up and cooldown in there, it's still a decent total run for the day.

Other than that, get healthy.  It will help with the consitency.

Feeling the growl again

Through all of Lydiard's phases (conditioning, hill resistance, aenarobic and co-ordination), Saturday typically has a faster type effort and Sunday a long, aerobic run.  Going into it, I would look at the Sat/Sun combo similar to the every other week Lydiard conditioning.  For example:

Week 1:

Sat: Hilly 30min - 1hr

Sun: Long run 1.5-2.0 hr

Week 2:

Sat: Tempo 5k-10k

Sun: Long run 2+ hr

For 2 hr, you typically cover 12 miles.  With that, I'd keep the every other Sat tempo to a 5k-4 mi distance.  With warm-up and cooldown in there, it's still a decent total run for the day.

Other than that, get healthy.  It will help with the consitency.

I'm not sure there's a right answer here.  I can see what he's doing with that.  You get the quality Sat, then run slower on Sun but get the miles in.  I prefer, and have had better luck with, putting my quality into the long run (or doing that every other week at least), keeping Sat easier, and putting more quality elsewhere in the week.

I found it difficult to get the Sat/Sun workouts thing right.  So after awhile I started doing (and recommending) otherwise because I don't know enough about other people's running to talk them through the balance on the internet.  Of course that doesn't mean it can't be done or doesn't work for some.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm not sure there's a right answer here.  I can see what he's doing with that.  You get the quality Sat, then run slower on Sun but get the miles in.  I prefer, and have had better luck with, putting my quality into the long run (or doing that every other week at least), keeping Sat easier, and putting more quality elsewhere in the week.

I found it difficult to get the Sat/Sun workouts thing right.  So after awhile I started doing (and recommending) otherwise because I don't know enough about other people's running to talk them through the balance on the internet.  Of course that doesn't mean it can't be done or doesn't work for some.

I don't think there is either.  I only highlighted Lydiard's approach and what I've gathered from that as he mentioned "Nobby's plan".  I agree with you in that I wouldn't make Sat and Sun two long, hard efforts though.  I've been going through some trial and error cycles with both the Lydiard and Hanson approaches.  I tend to migrate more towards the Hanson's approach (Tue- Interval, Thu- Tempo, Sat- long run) and have liked that better.  It just works better with what facilities I have available and what time I can dedicate to it.  If I can't squeeze in the tempo or interval session, I too prefer adding in some good MP work in the long run.  Bottom line is that there are a lot of ways to look at it and there certainly is not a one-size-fits-all program.

Personally, I'd be more worried about all those hour-long-run days.  Give the weeks more peaks and valleys -- the harder stuff is hard enough as it is.  You haven't been holding high mileage or high-intensity training for a long time, so my concern is the overall beating without sufficient "pauses for breath".

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau