3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1622 times)

DoppleBock

I think they are both Physcial and Psycological set points

I think when I get to 200# a small smidgeon of satisfaction creeps in. 

I believe in the idea that our bodies have set points in which it tries to keep itself. As I gained weight, it seemed I could eat whatever I wanted, exercise very little and I could hoover at a certain weight for awhile. Then it seemed 5-10 pounds would go on overnight and stay that way again for a long time. As I started to lose weight, it came off very slowly, then all of a sudden I'd drop alot quickly, then it was stall out again right around the weight I had where it seemed to stay when I was gaining. One of the set points for me was 200-205 and guess where I am right now?

I also feel that about 175-180 would be a great racing weight for me with lots of PR's and hopefully a few podiums thrown in there.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

obsessor

I think they are both Physcial and Psycological set points

I think when I get to 200# a small smidgeon of satisfaction creeps in. 

I often think that satisfaction is the enemy of progress. Ever the goal.

Feeling the growl again

My body seems to like ~155lbs.  If I stop running I head for 155-160 pretty quickly, almost regardless of diet (short of starvation levels).  I can see why this is....my racing ideal of 145-147 is 5-6% BF on my Tanita scale.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

No satisfaction - A bit of desperation - and a chip on your shoulder and your ready to go! 

This and when some random people start telling you that you look great, although you know you could still stand to lose a bunch more weight.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

DoppleBock

Yes - My family and friends like me fat too. 

This and when some random people start telling you that you look great, although you know you could still stand to lose a bunch more weight.

kcam

Weigh-in:  148.4  (bleh)

As far as the discussion of ideal racing weight I have no idea where mine is yet.   At 148-150 lbs I'm running better than I ever have so that's why I want to try to get to 145 for a while.  Nothing to do with 'healthy' or appearance, just racing.   I ran a lot of marathons at 170lbs (even sub-3) when I was in my mid to late 30's and at the time thought I was in 'ideal' shape - nope, not even close.  Never thought I could EVER be under 165.   This foray into 145-ish pounds is just to see how I race at that weight.

I do believe there is a weight under which running performance will suffer but, in my opinion, very few people are even close to it.  Spaniel seems to have found his ideal racing weight from previous high-level training and racing.

Feeling the growl again

You should see the look on coworker's faces when they learn I am on a diet...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Mf'n chips and Miller High Life! 180.2 this morning before my run... I am fat too, but adding weight lifting sessions in the afternoons, I believe, is keeping my weight up there... My clothes are fitting better but the scale is a lying son of a bitch!!! Stay thirsty friends...
                    WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Mf'n chips and Miller High Life! 180.2 this morning before my run... I am fat too, but adding weight lifting sessions in the afternoons, I believe, is keeping my weight up there... My clothes are fitting better but the scale is a lying son of a bitch!!! Stay thirsty friends...

Actually, you're being punished for drinking Miller High Life. Drink better beer and you'll lose weight. Wink

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

DoppleBock

I tried that on vacation and gained 7#

Actually, you're being punished for drinking Miller High Life. Drink better beer and you'll lose weight. Wink

My confusion is when do we weigh in??? So for week #4 is it the end of this week?

I am not sure my wife and take 2 more weeks of this ... 

Prince of Fatness

My confusion is when do we weigh in??? So for week #4 is it the end of this week?

I weigh in on Friday mornings and it will be week 4 for me.  I'd prefer that everyone post one weigh in a week and it can be whenever you want.  I'll figure out what week to put it in.

Final weigh in will be anywhere between August 30 and September 4.  I will put this in the original post.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Mf'n chips and Miller High Life!

If the only beer that I had in the house was Miller High Life I'd be doing great because I would be on the wagon.

Not at it at all. 

CliveF, 15AUG2012, 167

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

NameStarting WeightGoal WeightW1W2W3
                                Trent 170 160 167.5 166.2 165.4

164.0 this morning. Right direction. Running again, thinking perhaps that helps.