3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1622 times)

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

You don't want to be training and trying to lose weight at the same time. Lose the weight while you're not running a lot.

Excellent - a challenge I'm actually good at!

Count me in, I'll get an official weight for the chart tomorrow morning.  I expect will be somewhere between 191 and 194.  Regardless, my goal is <180.

Feeling the growl again

Excellent - a challenge I'm actually good at!

Count me in, I'll get an official weight for the chart tomorrow morning.  I expect will be somewhere between 191 and 194.  Regardless, my goal is <180.

In ~5 weeks?

Dude.  That's a solid goal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Crap. I gained 1.5 lbs on my trip to Memphis. Once we finish Spaniel's keg I guess I'll have to cut back a bit. Big grin

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

In ~5 weeks?

Dude.  That's a solid goal.

It's 6 weeks from today to Labor Day, right? Assuming I come in at 191 tomorrow it should be doable .  I've already been working on this for a few weeks. Dropped from a high of 198 about 6 weeks ago, mostly through diet modification, and flirted with <190 once early last week.  Tthese past two weeks I started to lose focus a bit; I'm hoping this challenge will help rectify that. 

kcam

Can I play?  

I've been on a weight loss thing since January.  Goal is to be 10% below average, healthy weight for a male of my height by the time Cal International marathon rolls around in early December.  I've made progress down from 158 in January to 149.0 now, though I've been stalled out at 148/149 now for about 3 or so weeks.  It's getting more difficult now.   Maybe this extra motivation will get me moving again in the right direction.  So that's my start - 149.0, weighed this morning.  By labor day I think I can hit 145.  Mark me down, please!

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I'm in.  

I was 122 at the beginning of the year and had plans to get to 116.  However, I've been bouncing

between 122 and 126 all year.  

Friday I was 126.   Today 128.  I think that the 2 pound difference is just a water thing from the weekend.  

All kinds of salty restaurant food yesterday and who knows what on Saturday night.

Any way, I will be working to get from 128 to 120 by the end of August.

Now if I can get back to the push-ups and lay off the beer Wink

steph  

Prince of Fatness

OK, should be up to date now.  Just waiting for a couple of initial weigh-ins.  If I missed anything reply back here and I will fix it.  If anyone else wants to join in the more the merrier.

Not at it at all. 

I'll weigh in MON AM on our certified freight scale.  Whatever it says, my goal it [that minus 7 pounds].

Sorry for the delay: 171 in full running kit.

Target = 164 in same kit.  (That'll be the least I've weighed in about a quarter-century, too.  Yikes.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

NERD ALERT!

<colgroup><col width="103" /> <col width="81" /> <col width="62" /> <col width="65" /> <col width="79" /> </colgroup>
                    Name Starting Wt. Goal Wt. Goal Loss Goal Loss %
                    DoppleBock 205.0 185.0 20.0 9.8%
                    Burnt Toast 208.0 195.0 13.0 6.3%
                    TeaOlive 128.0 120.0 8.0 6.3%
                    C-R 183.0 172.0 11.0 6.0%
                    MrFinn 178.5 170.0 8.5 4.8%
                    WhoDatRunner 173.0 165.0 8.0 4.6%
                    CliveF 171.0 164.0 7.0 4.1%
                    MandyS 125.0 120.0 5.0 4.0%
                    Beef 191.0 184.0 7.0 3.7%
                    Spaniel 152.4 147.0 5.4 3.5%
                    MilkTruck 184.0 178.0 6.0 3.3%
                    Kencamet 149.0 145.0 4.0 2.7%

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Yeah....this one is going to be real fun now that I'm not running for at least half of it.  Angry

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

NERD ALERT!

That sure makes kencamet look like a slacker, but I think my goal is easier than his.  Somehow you need to factor starting fatty status into the numbers.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

That sure makes kencamet look like a slacker, but I think my goal is easier than his.  Somehow you need to factor starting fatty status into the numbers.

I was going to ask for a linear regression of % body weight vs starting weight...yes, two can play at this nerd game.

An R^2 for starting weight would be nice too.  Big grin

My workmates have had several rounds of weight-loss (or, as I call it, their Big Fat Loser) contests.  As I did with them, I pine for some way to measure body-fat percentages and work the losses based on those values (rather than gross mass reduction).

(They flatly refused to have a nurse come down from the local hospital and do caliper measurements in the privacy of our infirmary.  And the science guys bitched about the scales and handheld devices using impedance contacts: lower- or upper-body biased, can be manipulated by hydration status, and so on.  Losers, indeed.)

-- Dick LeBeau

kcam

Thats me ... setting the bar low for 51 years and counting.  LOL!

As far as body fat percentage, I plan on going to one of the mobile dunk tanks that measure your body fat hydrostatically.  I just would love to see what my BF % is now that I've reduced my weight significantly 5'9" and 149 lbs (and I do have a muscular build).  I'll see if I can get to one soon and post my results and thoughts on them.  Anyone ever use one of these labs?

http://www.bodyfattest.com/

http://www.fitnesswave.com/portal/portal/getdunked/

I've read that the Bod Pods are quite accurate and much simpler to do than water immersion.

-- Dick LeBeau