3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

August Weight Loss Challenge (Read 1622 times)

Feeling the growl again

My Tanita scale gives a reasonable number for my height, weight, and build.  The changes in percentage track pretty well with the amount of weight I lose.  For me, that's as accurate as I really need to be.  My rough muscular composition has not changed significantly in years so I can guess within a few tenths of a percent of what it will say just be knowing my weight.

I only weight myself first thing after waking up, on days I know I'm more or less hydrated, so this avoids some of the potential sources of error.  I have used it occasionally after long, hot runs etc and the results are somewhat comical.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

I've read that the Bod Pods are quite accurate and much simpler to do than water immersion.

Thanks. I'd never heard of Bod Pod.  San Francisco State offers both Bod Pod and Hydrostatic testing for $50 for non-students.   Their website lists Bod Pod accuracy at +/-3% and Hydrostatic at +/-2%.   I'll give them a call and see which one they would recommend.  

There's a private health and fitness center that would do the Bod Pod for $45 and it is a good bit closer to my house but being that they are a health and fitness center I can imagine the very hard-sell on getting a trainer that I'd have to tolerate.  I'd rather spend 5 dollars more and make a day of being in the city.

I'm going to weigh in on Thursdays as it seems Th-Fr are usually pretty consistant weight wise. Mondays are always my heaviest days and Saturdays are my lightest.

7/26 = 206

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So FWIW:

July 1 - 173 lbs

July 26 - 167.5 lbs

Would love to get back down to 160-162 or so.

Prince of Fatness

So do it, man.  You're on the list.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Working on it.

If I can't run due to the heat, I might as well not eat either...

Prince of Fatness

Stay hydrated, tho.

Not at it at all. 

kcam

And you guys thought I was sandbagging?!  Trent, nice - you've already hit your goal!

I took my initial weight on a Monday so that is when I will be reporting in.  Too bad that I always weigh more on Monday, after Sunday Long singles in the morning I spend the rest of the day eating.

Modifed to include everyone's goals at the top.  Want to lose some weight by Labor Day?  Post your starting weight and your goal, then we'll update once a week.  You can pick the day that you want to weigh in, whatever works for you.  The goal can be whatever you want, even a little sometimes requires some extra motivation.

NameStarting WeightGoal WeightW1
                  MrFinn 178.5 170  
                  Spaniel 152.4 147  
                  WhoDatRunner 173 165  
                  C-R 183 172  
                  DoppleBock 205 185  
                  Burnt Toast 208 195 206
                  Beef 191 184  
                  MilkTruck 184 178  
                  MandyS 125 120  
                  Mgerwn   180  
                  Kencamet 149 145  
                  TeaOlive 128 120  
                  CliveF 171 164  
                  Trent 160 167.5 167.5

Prince of Fatness

And you guys thought I was sandbagging?!  Trent, nice - you've already hit your goal!

Oops.  Fixed.

Not at it at all. 

I'm going to weigh in on Thursdays as it seems Th-Fr are usually pretty consistant weight wise. Mondays are always my heaviest days and Saturdays are my lightest.

I have no idea what my weight is through the week.  I'm gonna weigh in on Fridays only because 31AUG is a Friday.

Unless The Spud pushes the last day to the day after Labor Day ... in which case it's Tuesdays.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Finn. Pay attention. My starting weight was 172.5 pounds and my goal is 162 pounds.
                          Finn. Pay attention. My starting weight was 172.5 pounds and my goal is 162 pounds.

What's the thread's title??

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I had initially thought of joining on this however according to the doctor today I don't have an ounce of fat on me lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

So FWIW:

July 1 - 173 lbs

July 26 - 167.5 lbs

A) Thread started July 20.  Your July 1 weight is irrelevant.

B) Further to that, 172.5 ≠ 173.

C) July 26 is close enough for starting weight.

D) 160-162 or so ≠ 162.  Your goal defaulted to the low value.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Unless The Spud pushes the last day to the day after Labor Day ... in which case it's Tuesdays.

Day after Labor Day is fine but beware the picnics on Labor Day weekend.

Not at it at all.