3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

January 2013 Racing Thread (Read 514 times)

Personally, I grab the cup(s) and drink at a slower pace or a brisk walk.  I wish I could drink 'em at race-pace, but it's never happened yet without either wearing the fluid or coughing/choking on it. Blush

It's all about form.  I squeeze the top so that it forms a spout.  Still winds up with a little spillage but not a soaking or taking too much.

#artbydmcbride

Even with a spout I manage to get it in my windpipe instead of my gullet if I don't drop to a walk.

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

Bandera was a DNF.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Even with a spout I manage to get it in my windpipe instead of my gullet if I don't drop to a walk.

Meself as well.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I pretty much have to come to a full stop.  And I can't seem to do the squeeze the top thing either.

steph  

Bandera was a DNF.

Ouch!  Sorry to hear that.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Bandera was a DNF.

Boo.  Hope you're okay.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Bandera was a DNF.

That sucks. Hope you're OK. What happened?

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

USATF-NJ Open and Masters Indoor T&F Championships

1/26

1500m: 5:05

800m: 2:30

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

C-R

Bandera was a DNF.

Bummer. Hope it wasn't injury.

Drink some beer. Recharge and dril the next one.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

USATF-NJ Open and Masters Indoor T&F Championships

1/26

1500m: 5:05

800m: 2:30

Nice!  No wonder you want some spikes.   What is the surface on an indoor track like?  Is it Mondo?  I'll be racing my 5,000 on the same day but on an outdoor track and will wear the Wave Universe road flats.

I'm racing a few of our local winter track meets but I doubt I'll drop down and run an 800.  So far I've run one meet (1-mile and 2-mile) and the last meet of the winter I'll run the 1500 as my key race.  1500 is, by far, my favorite distance on the track.  Running the mile / 2-mile double again this Saturday.

Good luck.

Kalsarikännit

Bummer. Hope it wasn't injury.

No injury.  Well, kinda. The piriformis was murdering me, but I have learned how to make that less of a problem, but I haven't worked on it since DS24. I haven't done much of anything since then, and it came back to bite me in the ass. It was just a bad day out there. I felt like I was in someone else's body.  It was hot and humid, and my electrolytes must have been crazy off, because my hands were the size of basketballs by the first aid station. There are a million dumb things that happened, but I just wasn't in shape and was absolutely miserable out there. I could have been tough girl and done the whole thing, but I've done the race three times. I have nothing to prove. It wasn't a goal race, so I called it quits.  I walked in the last 7 miles of the 50k with a guy who had a foot injury, grabbing a Shiner Bock at an aid station along the way.

Kalsarikännit

Fantastic job, Nads!  You keep impressing me.

Nice!  No wonder you want some spikes.   What is the surface on an indoor track like?  Is it Mondo?  I'll be racing my 5,000 on the same day but on an outdoor track and will wear the Wave Universe road flats.

I'm racing a few of our local winter track meets but I doubt I'll drop down and run an 800.  So far I've run one meet (1-mile and 2-mile) and the last meet of the winter I'll run the 1500 as my key race.  1500 is, by far, my favorite distance on the track.  Running the mile / 2-mile double again this Saturday.

Good luck.

Thanks, guys.

Ken, I am not sure what the surface of the track is. It's a new facility.

No injury.  Well, kinda. The piriformis was murdering me, but I have learned how to make that less of a problem, but I haven't worked on it since DS24. I haven't done much of anything since then, and it came back to bite me in the ass. It was just a bad day out there. I felt like I was in someone else's body.  It was hot and humid, and my electrolytes must have been crazy off, because my hands were the size of basketballs by the first aid station. There are a million dumb things that happened, but I just wasn't in shape and was absolutely miserable out there. I could have been tough girl and done the whole thing, but I've done the race three times. I have nothing to prove. It wasn't a goal race, so I called it quits.  I walked in the last 7 miles of the 50k with a guy who had a foot injury, grabbing a Shiner Bock at an aid station along the way.

Smart. I think you need this kind of attitude in a sport like ultra running.  You just never know what curveball may come, and need to be able to take it in stride when it does.

Looking forward to your next.