3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Strength Training Challenge: Nobody Can Do 100 Push-Ups (Read 47 times)

I figure May is a good time to start being better about my cross-training again.

Anybody want to join in with a strength training goal?  I plan to see how many push-ups, pull-ups, and sit-ups I can do.  Any cross-training goal works.  Maybe this will make me more consistent again.  I'm also open to how frequent check points should be.  Bi-weekly? At least monthly.

100 push-ups

200 sit-ups

50 pull-ups

Name Starting Point Goal

Check Point #1

Check Point #2

Check Point #3

rgilbert

76 push-ups

screw the sit-ups

26 pull-ups

100 push-ups

200 sit-ups

50 pull-ups

Cecil58

50 push-ups 

"45" sit-ups

9 pull-ups

80 push-ups

80 sit-ups

13 pull-ups

happyfeet

50 push ups 

90 push-ups      

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

Feeling the growl again

If you scroll down there is a pushup challenge thread from about this time last year.  It was fairly epic, a few made it.

It was fun but I've already got my PT time spoken for so I'll watch from the sidelines.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I have no preference either way--I could resurrect that one if people would prefer, but I thought I'd taking over instead of semi-forcing W-G to do it again.

What exercises do you need to do for PT, spaniel? Want to make them into a game? Big grin

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

Walk-Jogger

I did 100+ push ups non-stop on my birthday when I turned 55,  but without a spotter to keep me honest, who knows how sloppy my form was. I've intentionally let my upper body strength slide this past year, with the thought being that if I lost 1 or 2 lbs of upper body mass, I'd be a lighter faster and more nimble runner. I was at the point that when I ran long (10 miles +) I was feeling like my arms were heavy. I'd be interested in other's opinions on this however.

I did 50 push ups this morning, after checking my resting pulse and before my morning weight check and tooth brushing. I'm good for 9 or 10 pull-ups right now, down from a max of 14 last year.

The good news is, I can do sit-ups again these days. I had discovered several years ago that my sit-up muscles had practically vanished over time from lack of use, so I started working on them. No way I can do 200 sit ups non-stop, but 50 or 60, sure.

The thing I cannot do, is lunges. I've lost the muscles needed for doing those because I never did them at any point in my life. Every time I try to do them now, I get very sore in groin like places that feel like a tearing injury could happen. I'm doing a few very simplified version lunges per week at the moment to build those muscles back up, but not this week.

Retired &  Loving It

Can do 50 pushups today, a holdover from that last challenge. Don't think can do more than 5 pull ups, will see if I can get a pull up bar and get on that, but no desire to do sit-ups, I suck at those but can do 2-3 min planks, and that's good enough for now.

Did my initial tests.  26 pull-ups, down from 41, when I was doing P90X.  Lost some ground there.  Got some work to do before summer hits and I start being able to climb more.

I did over 100 sit ups, realized how much I dislike them (they feel monotonous...), and don't plan to work on them.  Might do something else core related, maybe planks?

76 push-ups.  The form on the end ones was terrible.  Time to start hitting it again...

happy, do you want me to put you down, then? 50 start, 100 goal?  Let me know about the pull-ups, too, if you choose to do them.

Cecil, when I first started running (mind, I was way out of shape), I would have my left shoulder go numb on long-ish runs (10+ miles).  After five miles numb, the arm below would be in pretty nasty pain.  I've found that if I'm diligent about my push-ups, pull-ups, shoulder presses, and lat-rows, it doesn't happen.  My first marathon (and second one) made me realize how bad the issue is if I'm not on top of it.  For me, body weight work at high reps doesn't put on significant bulk, but everyone's different.  Anyway, let me know what you want me to put in the table above for you. Smile

Emil Zatopek

Walk-Jogger

OK, so put me down for 50 pushups as the starting point, since that's the max I've done non-stop recently, and then make the goal 80, non-stop and without significant slowing, for now. If and when that happens I'll re-evaluate the goal. And I do them on my knuckles, to cut the stress on my wrists. 

For pull-ups, 9 as the starting point, and 13 as the goal. I am amazed by people who can crank out more than that. 50 pull-ups? Are you doing them non-stop? I could maybe do that many in a day...

Situps? Meh. Sometimes I do a few, but I don't go crazy with them. Don't know where I'm at for them at the moment, but I'm guessing 40 or 50.  So put me down for "45" for a starting point and make the goal 80, same as for my push-ups.

Checkpoints - once or twice a month? I'm not expecting to make big gains in a two-week window.

Retired &  Loving It

Done and done.

Interesting you like to do the push-ups on your knuckles.  I'm convinced that makes them harder.  I usually use the bar-things for the same reason, though.  Keeps my wrists from creaking.

I do the pull-ups non-stop.  The first time I got past ~10 or so was after I started rock climbing and bouldering.  I have a little bouldering cave that I built in my garage, even made some holds specifically for the overhang part to work on hold-and-pull-up.  I've seen some guys (and gals) at the climbing gyms who can do way, way more (50+) without seemingly fatiguing.  Boggles my mind.

The only reason I tried the sit-up challenge was on account of a work friend doing the three challenges together.  Got to love the peer pressure.

OK, so put me down for 50 pushups as the starting point, since that's the max I've done non-stop recently, and then make the goal 80, non-stop and without significant slowing, for now. If and when that happens I'll re-evaluate the goal. And I do them on my knuckles, to cut the stress on my wrists. 

For pull-ups, 9 as the starting point, and 13 as the goal. I am amazed by people who can crank out more than that. 50 pull-ups? Are you doing them non-stop? I could maybe do that many in a day...

Situps? Meh. Sometimes I do a few, but I don't go crazy with them. Don't know where I'm at for them at the moment, but I'm guessing 40 or 50.  So put me down for "45" for a starting point and make the goal 80, same as for my push-ups.

Checkpoints - once or twice a month? I'm not expecting to make big gains in a two-week window.

Emil Zatopek

In for pushups, target only 90 this time, the last 10 take forever. Have to find/make a contraption to do the pullups, will jump in when I do.

Alright.. I think Im going to try and do this. Managed 3 sets of 10 last night. Rest was.. well.. just did them when I felt like it. Hey, no judging.. Ive got a tempo workout for today and wasnt about to mess that up.

Here is the old thread btw.. very impressive.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land