3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

Feeling the growl again

Ileneforward   6/01     Wrigley River Run 10k  58:00

Ileneforward   6/08     Jonathan Jaques Torch run  ?    (run with child from cancer center)

Ileneforward   6/16     Train 4 Autism 10k       58:00

Ileneforward   6/20     Summer Solstice Watermelon Run 5 miles     44:30

I may add more if I can resolve this injury

I need to be more like Ilene.

You are LA area, right?  I'm going to be around there the first week of July.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

We all need to be more like Ilene.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

kcam

I'd welcome the competition, since it's very likely that I won't have any at my mile race if they make me run with the other old farts. I don't think they've had anyone in the M55-59 age group that can hobble a mile in under 6 minutes in the past several years. I'll be out in front running by myself, or I can run with the elites and run off the BACK of the pack by myself, like I did in February.  It's a time trial, either way...

And if I can't beat you straight up on time, we'll fall back on age-graded times, right? Evil

I did manage a decent speed session tonight after work, considering I'm still sore from my race last Saturday and winter weather has rolled back in here this afternoon, crushing my motivation and making me want to climb under a blanket and hide out until the sunshine returns. So I thought, just run some short laps. So, 16x200m, @4:40 pace. Plus a 200m warm-up lap. Felt pretty good over-all and was hard, but I don't think I broke or tore anything so it's all good. This was in my heavy 10 oz trainers...

Absolutely .. but then it's a foregone conclusion and I have nothing to shoot for.  Seems we're pretty close straight-across at the mile.  That's a dam good workout you ran last night.  I have another advantage in that my race isn't till the end of the month, more training time.  I have the biggest race of the 1st half of this year coming up on Monday - a 10K that I'm going to taper for (haven't really done that for any races yet this year).  Then I go on vacation for two weeks so not much running and no training.  Once I come back I will start hitting the track to prep for the July/August series of track meets I run where I'll run the 800/mile/2mile, 1500 instead of the mile the very last meet.  That 6/28 mile is a marker for improvement later but I'll definitely have gotten in a few workouts for it.  5:26 will be outstanding but not likely.

MTA:  Out of curiosity I checked on the AG thing.  If you run 5:27 that'll give you an 83.18% age grade.  For me to match that AG I'd have to run 5:11Shocked.  For reference, when I started training / racing seriously (for an old guy) my mile time was 5:43.  In one year it was down to 5:26 but in the next two years it's only dropped by 2 more seconds (I don't count a 5:22 downhill road mile).  That progression isn't too rosy - but then again I haven't really trained for the mile.  Even though I'm the fittest I've ever been in my life right now I know I couldn't touch 5:24.  Who knows ... Maybe, when I return from vacation, I'll try some gut-buster 16X200 workouts like you ran last night.  Lord knows I have some seriious base volume right now.  A couple down weeks to regenerate and then start hitting the mile trainng.

6/15 High Cliff Half Iron Triathlon - Relay Run Portion (13.1) - Goal: <1:18

The wife is doing the full half iron and since they have a relay option a couple of other friends wanted to join in on the fun.  It just so happens that the only part of that event I'd do is the run, so they got to figure out how to split up the swim and bike.  It's a 2 loop trail run with a few hills (so I hear).  Should be a good stroll through the park.

#artbydmcbride

We all need to be more like Ilene.

broke butt and still racing...slower and slower??  I don't think so!!

Spaniel!!  Where and when?  It would be awesome to meet you.

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

. . .  

MTA:  Out of curiosity I checked on the AG thing.  If you run 5:27 that'll give you an 83.18% age grade.  For me to match that AG I'd have to run 5:11Shocked.

. . . 

I was just kidding about playing my "age card". I don't need no stinkin age adjustment. Straight up times, win or lose, for bragging rights.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

broke butt and still racing...slower and slower??  I don't think so!!

Spaniel!!  Where and when?  It would be awesome to meet you.

I've got the broke butt and still racing slower and slower down pat.  It's the racing frequently thing I suck at.

I'll PM you details when I have them, but IIRC I fly in June 30th and will be in the Seal Beach area until July 4th.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

#artbydmcbride

Very cool!  I am right there!

I am running this on 4th of July morning:

http://www.cityoflapalma.org/index.aspx?NID=339

Runners run

Smile

We all need to be more like llene.. broke butt and all.

And we run because we like it
                    Through the broad bright land

Feeling the growl again

Very cool!  I am right there!

I am running this on 4th of July morning:

http://www.cityoflapalma.org/index.aspx?NID=339

There is a slight possibility I could make the race, not sure how long I could hang around.  We need to drive up to Santa Cruz that day so I will have to wait until our timing firms up.  Otherwise we'll find another opportunity to connect.  PM me anything local/cool I should do on date night with my wife; we are staying with my in-laws so we have some built-in child care.  Smile

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Illene that is some lineup!  Go kick some ass!

#artbydmcbride

Smile  the ass that needs kickin' is mine!  ... I'll try ...

Runners run

kcam

You know what?!  I just realized I'd already posted my mile race on this thread a long time ago - C-R just never put it on the Big Board!  Never mind my 5:26 goal ... I'll stick with the original 5:22 (holy hell I thought 5:26 was a big stretch).

an amazing likeness

Looks like I'm actually going to make it to the start line on one....

Who

Date Event Where Distance Goal Result Comments
                                MilkTruck 6/2 Covered Bridges Half Quechee, VT 13.1mi 1:42:30    

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.