3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

an amazing likeness

Looks like I'm actually going to make it to the start line on one....

Who

Date Event Where Distance Goal Result Comments
    MilkTruck 6/2 Covered Bridges Half Quechee, VT 13.1mi 1:42:30    

1:42....HA. Not a chance. 78F at start, climbed to 88-90F instantly with baking sun. Haven't run in anything warmer than 65F yet this year.  Posted a 1:59:48 and it took some serious mental mojo to get under 2:00.

Run this race if you get the chance -- this is a great country course, just spectacular VT countryside. This is a PR course on a good day....gentle downhill for first 3, then flat (one serious climb at 8)...packed dirt sections for turnover w/no impact, and just a few turns. Organized by the same team for 22 years, so well tuned.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

Ileneforward   6/01     Wrigley River Run 10k  58:00

58:18  <sigh>

I have doctor's appts all week:  Rheumatologist, Chiropractor, Primary Care and Witch Doctor.  Hopefully I will be cured soon!  Big grin

Runners run

58:18  <sigh>

I have doctor's appts all week:  Rheumatologist, Chiropractor, Primary Care and Witch Doctor.  Hopefully I will be cured soon!  Big grin

Does your insurance cover Witch Doctor visits, or is that an out of pocket expense? Smile

#artbydmcbride

Out of pocket    Wink

Runners run

Date: 6/8/13

Event: Run for the Stars 5k

Where: Wheaton, IL

Distance: 5k

Goal: < 16:35

Need to start pushing it harder if I'm going to get <16 for the year.  This should be a good test to see where I'm at.

Roth Runner 6/6 Highgate track 10,000m night of PB's, London goal: sub 34 RESULT 35:15

Massive overestimation of my fitness at the moment as I managed 35:15 in the end.  Pretty much had to run solo after a couple of laps as I got isolated between two pacing groups.  After being on pace for a whole 2.5k I ended up drifting off pace before managing a decent last 600m to pick up a few places.  Held off another dude in a sprint finish which was fun.

Track 10,000m running is different.  It was quite warm and windy but I'm not sure how I've got 30s slower on the track from a hilly road 34:48 in March!  Oh well, back to the drawing board.  I still think I can get close to sub 34 by the end of the summer.

... managing a decent last 600m to pick up a few places.  Held off another dude in a sprint finish which was fun.

Good on ya!

Track 10,000m running is different.

Yup, totally different.  I raced 5s and 10s "back when", and I actually never ran a road 5k until OCT2009!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Who Date Event Where Distance Goal Result Comments
                  CliveF 6/7 China Grove Main Street 5k China Grove NC 5km 18:50    

Pretty crystal-ballish to be making predictions for a race 3.5 months out ... but I'll throw 18:50 out there anyway.

This race is in a little less than 6 hours.  It's my final serious race of the spring.  And my final realistic shot at going sub-19 (on a certified course).

I noticed I'm very nervous as I sit here at work. Surprised  Hopefully, it's "good-nervous" and not the other kind.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Jumping into a race tonight, not ready in any way, shape, or form. And it's supposed to pour rain. What could go wrong?

Doc's Tiger 3 Miler

Biddeford, ME

<19 (gotta have a goal, I guess.)

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Very cool. You will do great. Float like a butterfly.. Sting like a bee. ? (ha.. idk.. but I do know you will crush it)

This race is in a little less than 6 hours.  It's my final serious race of the spring.  And my final realistic shot at going sub-19 (on a certified course).

I noticed I'm very nervous as I sit here at work. Surprised  Hopefully, it's "good-nervous" and not the other kind.

And we run because we like it
                      Through the broad bright land

<19 (gotta have a goal, I guess.)

19 flat. Considering that I more or less pulled my goal out of thin air I'm happy with that.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

CliveF 6/7 China Grove Main Street 5k China Grove NC 5km 18:50    

Pretty crystal-ballish to be making predictions for a race 3.5 months out ... but I'll throw 18:50 out there anyway.

19:42.  The plan was to race HARD to 2mi, then hang on for 1200 and let the rest take care of itself.  Had it rolling ... but my legs died at exactly 4k.

Running is stupid.

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

Oops, another last-minute decision, Big Basin Redwoods 50k, 6/9, goal ??? -- thinking 5:20ish. Hard to tell from previous results what's appropriate.

Walk-Jogger

Cecil58 6/08 Mile on the Track Spokane, WA 1609m 5:27    

BRRC Festival of Miles, June 8th, Spokane WA. 

Extra credit if I beat Ken's mile later in the month! Not likely to happen. I'm feeling slower than my last mile race (5:28.41, February) at the moment.

5:30, didn't quite make my goal.  I ran a faster mile indoors in Feb. (where I came in last place) As predicted, I had no competition in my age group, running alone from the gun, beating 2nd place by 53 seconds and lapping two runners before the 4th lap.  Splits were about 1:15 for the first 409 M, 2:41 at 809 M, 4:09 at 1209. I gave some back in the third lap and didn't get all I could out of the 4th lap, with no one chasing me or to chase.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

kencamet 6/29 Mile on the Track Saratoga, CA 1609m 5:22    

5:22 would be a huge PR.  Best track mile is 5:25, I've run 11 track miles in the past 4 years so it's not like I haven't tried.  My fitness is now the best it's ever been, weight's down, maybe with some specific mile workouts through June I can hit this one.

Scratch this one.  The track we use is closed the last two weeks of June.  The Mile is re-scheduled for 8/3.