3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

Nice run mbehr, plenty more to come by the sound of it.

xhristopher

Do we need to send a search party for Greg C on Mt. Washington? I see he did a fine job getting to the top of the mountain but more people die going down Everest than going up. I don't know if the same is true for the rockpile...

bhearn

I didn't put it on the calendar, but I had fun at the San Francisco Marathon yesterday. Took it easy after 50M and 50K the previous two weeks, but still ran 3:15, beating my 2010 time by 8 minutes. Thing is -- the hamstring still hurts. I can run through it, but I won't be able to get back to solid training until I lick it.

Feeling the growl again

spaniel 6/22 some charity 5K
          Bad Axe, MI
          5KM sub-17    

Fat.  Out of shape.  But an old friend asked me to do this for her charity team in our hometown and fortuitously I will be in the area on vaction so I might as well hit rock bottom.

An old HS teammate (went 15:59 in XC back in the day) and now a good cyclist is wanting to do a duathlon relay with me in August, so I'd have to run 2Xsub-17 with ~40min rest.  Time to get in shape.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

#artbydmcbride

Ileneforward   6/08     Jonathan Jaques Torch run  ?    (run with child from cancer center)

Ileneforward   6/16     Train 4 Autism 10k       58:00

Ileneforward   6/20     Summer Solstice Watermelon Run 5 miles     44:30

So the Torch run was a fundraiser for the children's cancer center.  They had all of these children who are battling cancer get to run around the lighthouse carrying a torch, and folks sponsor them.  They asked for volunteers to run with each child and clear the path for them and get folks to cheer. I ran  49 different circuits.  It was exhausting but very satisfying.  Our club also raised $1500 to sponser our own runner.

At Train 4 Autism, I had gotten a head and chest cold, tripped and turned my ankle, on top of my usual injuies (hamstring pain and wonky knee)  so I downgraded to the 5k and ran 27:22

The Summer Solstice Watermelon Run has been canceled, the organizer got into a tiff with the city parks people over the fees, so he pulled the plug on the race.    I looked for races for this weekend and then thought maybe karma wants me to not race this week.  Wink

Runners run

EYS 5k

Saddle Brook, NJ

Goals: 1OA

Edited  from last year:

I've raced this young, local race [[2]] 3 of the [[4]] 5 years it's been run. I came in 2nd [[and]] 3rd, and 3rd those years. My friends are [[mocking me to no end over my inability to win]] now only sporadically mock me. There seems to be a little pity in their silence, a silence which says "It's okay dude, you're getting older now, the race is getting bigger, and the XC HS runners are increasingly interested."  There's a [[4:52]] 4:43 miler in it this year.  His 5k PR is 17:40.The other sub-18 XC kid, who won last year, will be in again. But since it's a 10:30 start, [[he]] they might melt and I might not.  You never know. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

I've signed up for the Pasadena half marathon on June 30.  It should be very hilly, and hotter than hades.  And I am still struggling with this 'injury'  Smile

I will set 2:15 as my goal!

Runners run

Do we need to send a search party for Greg C on Mt. Washington? I see he did a fine job getting to the top of the mountain but more people die going down Everest than going up. I don't know if the same is true for the rockpile...

Heh. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Reports of my moving and thus being cableless and internetless for the last week or so are very much accurate, however. Moving sucks. 3, yes 3, cable guy visits (and 2 mostly lost work days for my gf) necessary to get things fully up and running. Sheesh.

As for the race, just missed the 1:33 goal. "Ran" 1:33:19. Pretty happy with that, though. Over 5 minutes better than last year. I wanted to go back and do it better, I did, and now I'm done with that stupid mountain. The end.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

an amazing likeness

Posted a 45:59.

Let's throw this into the mix....

MilkTruck 6/23 Close to the Coast 10K
                    Freeport, ME
                    10KM 47:10    

Trying for PB on this tough little course -- constant sharp hills, mix of road, single-track and wood-chip paths.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Good running, guys.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

e_rainrun 6/22 some 26x1 mile relay Somerville  MA 1Mi no goal  

7:27

e_rainrun 6/20 Corporate Challenge Boston Boston MA 3.5mi no goal  

28:28/ 8:07 pace 

35+ weeks preg! almost there . Nice work on Mt Washington GregC! Good to see you again xchristopher!

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Walk-Jogger

Heh. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Reports of my moving and thus being cableless and internetless for the last week or so are very much accurate, however. Moving sucks. 3, yes 3, cable guy visits (and 2 mostly lost work days for my gf) necessary to get things fully up and running. Sheesh.

As for the race, just missed the 1:33 goal. "Ran" 1:33:19. Pretty happy with that, though. Over 5 minutes better than last year. I wanted to go back and do it better, I did, and now I'm done with that stupid mountain. The end.

Congrats on getting the cable hooked up and running! And for beating the mountain again, and with a good time. Did I hear that it was a bit windy at the top?

Retired &  Loving It

xhristopher

I'm going to race 4 laps of the track on the 22nd as part of a club relay. ... Reasonable goal would be sub 5:15. Sub 5:10 will require a visit to the hurtlocker.

Ran 5:16, entirely a time trial in the warm sun. I'm still trying to understand where 4 seconds on the third lap went. Yeah, I had to pass people on the outside on the corners but... I think I lost concentration so, my fault. Kicked it home for my fastest quarter (76). Nice to see so many RA people at the race.

GregC, Glad to see you didn't die on the way down. Nice race. Way ahead of what I would have run if the lottery let me in. I think one must run the beast to know how to run the beast. Enjoy the Mt. Washington retirement.

Feeling the growl again

spaniel 6/22 some charity 5K
                              Bad Axe, MI
                              5KM sub-17    

Fat.  Out of shape.  But an old friend asked me to do this for her charity team in our hometown and fortuitously I will be in the area on vaction so I might as well hit rock bottom.

An old HS teammate (went 15:59 in XC back in the day) and now a good cyclist is wanting to do a duathlon relay with me in August, so I'd have to run 2Xsub-17 with ~40min rest.  Time to get in shape.

Ended up being miserably humid....not much sleep for a couple days, the race was at 6pm and I'd started drinking at 1pm.  Given all of that, I was fine with the result as I really just wanted to pass out in the heat.

MTA:  17:30

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Congrats on getting the cable hooked up and running! And for beating the mountain again, and with a good time. Did I hear that it was a bit windy at the top?

Just a tad, heh. It was actually kind of freaky, like 2 races in one. Hot until you cleared the tree line, then really cold blasting wind above. You pretty much had to choose one or the other to be prepared for and suffer through the other part. I went with singlet and shorts, so the last 3 miles or so just sucked that much extra. I just tried to get it over with as quickly as possible. It was funny watching people before the race start all bundled up in beautiful summer weather. I have to give the organizers credit. You don't get one of those flimsy foil blankets when you cross the line, you get a nice fleece blanket. Very cozy.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.