3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

Walk-Jogger

Ran 5:16, entirely a time trial in the warm sun. I'm still trying to understand where 4 seconds on the third lap went. Yeah, I had to pass people on the outside on the corners but... I think I lost concentration so, my fault. Kicked it home for my fastest quarter (76). Nice to see so many RA people at the race.

GregC, Glad to see you didn't die on the way down. Nice race. Way ahead of what I would have run if the lottery let me in. I think one must run the beast to know how to run the beast. Enjoy the Mt. Washington retirement.

5:16 looks like a PR 1600 for ya, Xtopher? And with people in your way on the track, I'd say that's worth an atta-boy.

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

Ended up being miserably humid....not much sleep for a couple days, the race was at 6pm and I'd started drinking at 1pm.  Given all of that, I was fine with the result as I really just wanted to pass out in the heat.

MTA:  17:30

Some decent running there Spaniel, for alcohol-fueled and sleep-deprived and allegedly "fat". I don't believe the fat part, however.

Retired &  Loving It

2:56:40?  Something close anyway.  Temps were around 65/humid and held steady most of the race.  Sun was out at the start and it was pretty hot, but we got lucky and breeze off the lake plus cloudy haze kept temps under control.  Legs just didn't have a lot of pop, very steady, lots of lung power, just no speed.  Not all that unexpected 6 weeks after a goal 50 miler.  Can't complain though, I didn't have anything else to give.  Small race so ended up 3rd OA.

MTA - my quick and dirty race report.

Walk-Jogger

Nice work in the fight for 3rd Flatfooter, and another sub-3 to add to your growing collection!

Retired &  Loving It

EYS 5k

Saddle Brook, NJ

Goals: 1OA

Edited  from last year:

I've raced this young, local race [[2]] 3 of the [[4]] 5 years it's been run. I came in 2nd [[and]] 3rd, and 3rd those years. My friends are [[mocking me to no end over my inability to win]] now only sporadically mock me. There seems to be a little pity in their silence, a silence which says "It's okay dude, you're getting older now, the race is getting bigger, and the XC HS runners are increasingly interested."  There's a [[4:52]] 4:43 miler in it this year.  His 5k PR is 17:40.The other sub-18 XC kid, who won last year, will be in again. But since it's a 10:30 start, [[he]] they might melt and I might not.  You never know. 

2nd.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Walk-Jogger

2nd.

Careful or you might inherit the title of the "eternal second" from Raymond Poulidor!  But seriously, nice running. Consistency counts for a lot.

Retired &  Loving It

kcam

Who Date Event Where Distance Goal Result Comments
                Cecil58 6/08 Mile on the Track Spokane, WA 1609m 5:27    

BRRC Festival of Miles, June 8th, Spokane WA. 

Extra credit if I beat Ken's mile later in the month! Not likely to happen. I'm feeling slower than my last mile race (5:28.41, February) at the moment.

My mile on the track on 6/29 was canceled but I did jump in a mile race last Thursday at the All-Comers meet.  It was definitely before I was ready as I had a 9.1 mile hilly road race the Sunday before (and the sun was in my eye too!).  I ran a pathetic 5:39.21.  So you get extra credit, Cecil!

That 5:39 was, for me, like those 5,000 guys at USATF Natty's running 14:54, DAM SLOW.  My legs just didn't have any pop in them.  I did run a decent, for me, 800 about 30minutes before the mile in 2:33.45, so there's that.  I do plan on another, better attempt at the mile on July 13th.

Careful or you might inherit the title of the "eternal second" from Raymond Poulidor!  But seriously, nice running. Consistency counts for a lot.

Heh, thanks.

Nice running, flatfooter, Andy and Ken.  Ken, I like your tenacity.  Hang tough.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Walk-Jogger

My mile on the track on 6/29 was canceled but I did jump in a mile race last Thursday at the All-Comers meet.  It was definitely before I was ready as I had a 9.1 mile hilly road race the Sunday before (and the sun was in my eye too!).  I ran a pathetic 5:39.21.  So you get extra credit, Cecil!

That 5:39 was, for me, like those 5,000 guys at USATF Natty's running 14:54, DAM SLOW.  My legs just didn't have any pop in them.  I did run a decent, for me, 800 about 30minutes before the mile in 2:33.45, so there's that.  I do plan on another, better attempt at the mile on July 13th.

Ken, Ken Ken . . . I'm not accepting your 5:39. You can do better than that, and we all know it. I want a REAL mile time from ya.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

spaniel 6/22 some charity 5K
                      Bad Axe, MI
                      5KM sub-17    

Fat.  Out of shape.  But an old friend asked me to do this for her charity team in our hometown and fortuitously I will be in the area on vaction so I might as well hit rock bottom.

An old HS teammate (went 15:59 in XC back in the day) and now a good cyclist is wanting to do a duathlon relay with me in August, so I'd have to run 2Xsub-17 with ~40min rest.  Time to get in shape.

After further reviewing the position of the start/finish lines (I have been running this general course for >20 years on and off, and have measured it by both GPS and wheel) the course was definitively long, somewhere in the 10-30sec neighborhood.  This would explain my relatively consistent 5:23-10:57 splits trending for ~17 and not feeling like I dropped 30+sec over the final mile.

Yeah, and a pic of me ended up on the local paper site...which would have been a half decent shot if I wasn't so fat right now.  Once I get back from vacation my ass is getting in gear now that I've gone a good amount of time with no real sign of lingering injury.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

If I didn't know you were fast I would assume you were being chased by a bunch of strollering moms.  Big grin

After further reviewing the position of the start/finish lines (I have been running this general course for >20 years on and off, and have measured it by both GPS and wheel) the course was definitively long, somewhere in the 10-30sec neighborhood.  This would explain my relatively consistent 5:23-10:57 splits trending for ~17 and not feeling like I dropped 30+sec over the final mile.

Yeah, and a pic of me ended up on the local paper site...which would have been a half decent shot if I wasn't so fat right now.  Once I get back from vacation my ass is getting in gear now that I've gone a good amount of time with no real sign of lingering injury.

Feeling the growl again

If I didn't know you were fast I would assume you were being chased by a bunch of strollering moms.  Big grin

C-R made a similarly witty comment on Facebook.  The group behind me is actually good friends of mine walking the mile.  The funny part is that my oldest (age 6) was and still is adamant that I did NOT win the race.  She saw people (walkers) finishing in front of me.  She is totally not impressed with my 1OA award because she thinks it is fake.

On a related note, today I was trying to explain to her that snapping turtles come from baby snapping turtles, and there are no snapping snakes that turn into snapping turtles.  But one of her kindergarten classmates told her so, so despite my MS in biology I am apparently not educated enough to over-ride the opinion of her little friend.  So it begins.

MTA:  The RD was my HS coach.  I got the location of the start line wrong (he moved it far from the normal spot) so I jogged up to the line just as he was finishing final instructions.  Right before the gun he pointed to me and said "oh, BTW, 4:30 miler here".  I've never run a 4:30 mile or close to it in my life, but it was nice to hear (he called me a former pro runner in the last paper article, also quite an embellishment).  So when I passed a couple guys 200 yards in and heard "there he goes" and finished 40-90sec in front of 2nd place it was a nice boost for a has-been.  One day soon even the local HSers are going to start measuring up (which will be a good thing).

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

C-R made a similarly witty comment on Facebook.  The group behind me is actually good friends of mine walking the mile.  The funny part is that my oldest (age 6) was and still is adamant that I did NOT win the race.  She saw people (walkers) finishing in front of me.  She is totally not impressed with my 1OA award because she thinks it is fake.

On a related note, today I was trying to explain to her that snapping turtles come from baby snapping turtles, and there are no snapping snakes that turn into snapping turtles.  But one of her kindergarten classmates told her so, so despite my MS in biology I am apparently not educated enough to over-ride the opinion of her little friend.  So it begins.

MTA:  The RD was my HS coach.  I got the location of the start line wrong (he moved it far from the normal spot) so I jogged up to the line just as he was finishing final instructions.  Right before the gun he pointed to me and said "oh, BTW, 4:30 miler here".  I've never run a 4:30 mile or close to it in my life, but it was nice to hear (he called me a former pro runner in the last paper article, also quite an embellishment).  So when I passed a couple guys 200 yards in and heard "there he goes" and finished 40-90sec in front of 2nd place it was a nice boost for a has-been.  One day soon even the local HSers are going to start measuring up (which will be a good thing).

I'm going with the theory snapping snakes turn into snapping turtles too - sounds totally feasible to me, the legs just pop out the sides! Big grin

Nice running spaniel (& Ken, flatfooter, Nads, et all)

I've had a very successful week:

A 4:31.5 1500m PR on Monday with a 2:20 last 800m.  I'm still green over this distance but this was fun (the 4 x 400m leg I ran later that night involved Rigor Mortis in the home straight).

Tuesday I got a job offer I was really hoping for so I'm over the moon about that.

Then last night I got a big 5k PR of 16:32 in a really competitive race in good conditions where I managed to squeeze pretty much everything out chasing down club team mates (and the v40 prize).

Then to top it all off, the pub we went to after had Meantime London Pale Ale (a really good British/American pale ale hybrid).  As well as Brooklyn Lager & Sierra Nevada on tap (As a Brit I much prefer your stuff to our flat British ales).  Happy days!

Feeling the growl again

Then last night I got a big 5k PR of 16:32 

Holy crap!  Nice run!

Walk-Jogger

Roth, sounds like you had a great week - nice running on your 5K PR! Congrats all around!

Retired &  Loving It