3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

June 2013 Racing Thread (Read 59 times)

C-R

Nice Roth.

Spaniel - your daughter is likely to be one tough contract negotiator in the future. Good luck with that when she's a teen.

I thought I might catch some 5k on Saturday just to close out a crappy month of running for me. Well I thought I found it. 4pm start downtown called Mean Streets Run. Kind of an obstacle course race. I went to registration site and just about lost it. $70 for a 5k obstacle course. $70! WTH. I paid $55 for a marathon in Oct. Good Lord!

Guess I'm running with the runners club folks in the morning for free and get some miles for Sept.

$70! for a 5k. DAMN!

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

I like it when guys are getting pumped and running well ... wanna see that sucker punch thread recede into the distance for all of us.

Congrats all around.

Robin - en fuego!!

C-R  - that $70 run about takes the cake for a 5K, half that price begins to annoy me already.  I was looking at some old newspaper archives trying to find my race times from back in the very early 90's (I ran several Austin American-Statesman Capital 10,000's back then but don't remember my times but I think they were in the 43-45 minute range) and saw that the price to register for those races were $10!  That was a very big, serious race even back then.  $10!!

RR.. far cry from your recent 10k! Nice work out there.

Seventy MF-ing dollars??? Why cant we just open a HS track and run circles for 20 min? How much does that cost?

And we run because we like it
        Through the broad bright land

I'm going with the theory snapping snakes turn into snapping turtles too - sounds totally feasible to me, the legs just pop out the sides! Big grin

Nice running spaniel (& Ken, flatfooter, Nads, et all)

I've had a very successful week:

A 4:31.5 1500m PR on Monday with a 2:20 last 800m.  I'm still green over this distance but this was fun (the 4 x 400m leg I ran later that night involved Rigor Mortis in the home straight).

Tuesday I got a job offer I was really hoping for so I'm over the moon about that.

Then last night I got a big 5k PR of 16:32 in a really competitive race in good conditions where I managed to squeeze pretty much everything out chasing down club team mates (and the v40 prize).

Then to top it all off, the pub we went to after had Meantime London Pale Ale (a really good British/American pale ale hybrid).  As well as Brooklyn Lager & Sierra Nevada on tap (As a Brit I much prefer your stuff to our flat British ales).  Happy days!

I'd say you've had a successful week.  Nice work on the 5k!

Maybe I should start a business specializing in race entry-fee financing ... ?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

#artbydmcbride

Active.com wants to sell me race entry insurance now when I register!  Angry

Running a race in hilly Pasadena isn't a particularly good idea at the best of times.  And this race keeps moving its date around each year all over the calendar, so it has been plaguged with wildfires, torrential rains and icy winds.   Scheduling this year for June 30, the chance was it might be hot.  Roll eyes   And humid!  (dang global warming, it never used to get humid!)

So I just went into survival mode and jogged it in 2:29:35

Runners run

kcam

Running a race in hilly Pasadena isn't a particularly good idea at the best of times.  And this race keeps moving its date around each year all over the calendar, so it has been plaguged with wildfires, torrential rains and icy winds.   Scheduling this year for June 30, the chance was it might be hot.  Roll eyes   And humid!  (dang global warming, it never used to get humid!)

Smart girl!  How hot did it get during the race?  I learned a valuable lesson (that you seem to already know) in the 2007 Chicago marathon.  Throw out time goals and survive (or DNS) in high heat conditions.  We only got to 90 in San Jose yesterday (day before was 96 and today is supposed to be 96 again).  We're also getting that humidity as well - WTF.

an amazing likeness

Relentlessly relentless.  Even when wounded. So very impressive.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

#artbydmcbride

About 90 degrees

"PASADENA- Fifteen people were overcome by the heat, and six of them had to be taken to the hospital, as the Pasadena Half Marathon stepped off amid a scorching heat wave."

Runners run

C-R

Smart move.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/