3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Seanv2

Stassburg sock...

Does this thing work for PF?  I do not have it bad, but it is threatening. I would rather put it away early and decisively.  

Yes, at least for me it did.  The sock, and a lacrosse ball, were the best investments I made in dealing with my foot issues (which turned out to actually be both PF and Achilles tendinitis).  

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Thanks very much, Sean. I bought it and it seems to be helping.  Plus, massaging it with rounded edge of chair at work.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Seanv2

Thanks very much, Sean. I bought it and it seems to be helping.  Plus, massaging it with rounded edge of chair at work.  

Glad its helping, dude. I wore one for a month straight... my wife thought it was pretty hott.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Haha. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Ostrich runner

Well, I'm completely out of shape. All of my drum beating the last several months has resulted in a few short lived spurts of activity intermingled with bouts with various viruses. So I just did what any reasonable person would do: register for a marathon 8 weeks from now. I have a feeling about how this will go.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Well, I'm completely out of shape. All of my drum beating the last several months has resulted in a few short lived spurts of activity intermingled with bouts with various viruses. So I just did what any reasonable person would do: register for a marathon 8 weeks from now. I have a feeling about how this will go.

You are probably in better shape than the average marathoner of today. They will tell you that you only have four weeks until you have to start tapering, too.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm just going to immodestly mention that I ran 16mi yesterday: 8 easy, then 8 MP (which ended up being 7:36/mi or sub-3:20 pace) ... and that I felt shockingly good afterward.  Last year, I'd have been shuffling around and having guitar-string hip flexors and leg muscles.  Oh, and 60.8mi for the week is a Clive2.0 record.

Carry on.

Actually, don't carry on just yet.  My training is going well right now.  Really well.  I'm hitting my workouts/numbers -- bigger numbers than in the past, too -- and feeling pretty good with both the daily and cumulative workloads.  But here's the thing: I have this fear now that I'm going to get injured.  Not just that back-of-your-head, it-could-happen kind of thought, but a stronger and more irrational paranoia.  And I'm not even tapering.  Is this normal?  Got any mental tricks for dealing with it?

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I'm just going to immodestly mention that I ran 16mi yesterday: 8 easy, then 8 MP (which ended up being 7:36/mi or sub-3:20 pace) ... and that I felt shockingly good afterward.  Last year, I'd have been shuffling around and having guitar-string hip flexors and leg muscles.  Oh, and 60.8mi for the week is a Clive2.0 record.

Carry on.

Actually, don't carry on just yet.  My training is going well right now.  Really well.  I'm hitting my workouts/numbers -- bigger numbers than in the past, too -- and feeling pretty good with both the daily and cumulative workloads.  But here's the thing: I have this fear now that I'm going to get injured.  Not just that back-of-your-head, it-could-happen kind of thought, but a stronger and more irrational paranoia.  And I'm not even tapering.  Is this normal?  Got any mental tricks for dealing with it?

Nice! Just curious, how did you fix the hip flexor problem?

Lots of core work, glute strengthening; rolling out everything from the waist down before I run; and post-run stretching.  (I'm as "every day" about that as I can get with those last two.)  They still tighten up on runs occasionally, but it's not nearly as bad or as lingering.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

That's great to hear that training is going well for you.  There will be the gun shy mentality in the beginning, just as you are going through.  You have to be careful to not let that pendulum swing all the way to the other side to where you're over-confident.  Trust your training patterns.  You are doing all the right things with recovery, PT, workouts, etc.  Just don't get lazy and let some of the key maintenance items drop off your radar.

Oh, and by the way, you're going to kick ass in two weeks with your 15k.  Looks like you're gunning for a new PR.

Ostrich runner

You are probably in better shape than the average marathoner of today. They will tell you that you only have four weeks until you have to start tapering, too.

Oprah should have me on. I did manage 10 technical miles with 35lbs on my back last week. It was slow, but I was also drunk and smoking a cigar while I walked.

Feeling the growl again

Oprah should have me on. I did manage 10 technical miles with 35lbs on my back last week. It was slow, but I was also drunk and smoking a cigar while I walked.

I sure hope that 35lbs wasn't Meatball then! Big grin Since this is the hurt yourself thread, we had better start to see some kickass cramming out of you or the beatings will conntinue until improves.

MTA:  damn you autocorrect.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Ostrich runner

I sure hope that 35lbs wasn't Meatball then! Big grin Since this is the hurt yourself thread, we had better start to see some kickass cramming out of you or the beatings will start Neil morale improves.

Nope...just the backpack full of living supplies. I hiked in 4lbs of flank steak and marinade, 4lbs of beef jerky, and 1 lb of summer sausage. Not bad for a four night trip.

Seanv2

Carry on.

Nice to hear your training is going so well.  I feel like after a year lost to injury and a demanding new job, I'm finally getting kinda sorta back in shape. I'm excited for a long, cold, winter on the roads.

I have the opposite of a paranoia about getting injured. I keep doing stupid things and getting hurt. 

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Get after it friend ! blaze a road straight to hell

Committed to one-a-month dedicated ultra training weekends.  December was 33mi/4hr on the threadmill.

Sa -24 miles @ 6:58 pace

Su -21 miles, 15@6:40 then 6@6:00.  I could really feel yesterday in my legs when I ramped the speed up...it sucked for a couple miles and then I just forgot the sucking and finished the run.  I considered speeding up to 11mph the last mile just because but then didn't.

A few short months ago, 24 miles alone would leave my back screaming.  Things are looking up.